Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lang or Shirley Stick Burner

Options
I know this is an BGE forum and I have Egg and cook on it, and I also know many Egg owners also use stick burners.  I'm going to get a 36" Patio Lang or Shirley.  I would like to know what the owners of each would do if they make the exact same purchase again.  So please tell me if you had it to do again what would you buy today?  Thanks and I look forward to y'all replies.  

Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Doesn't count but I would buy another Klose. Sorry... Oh yeah, War Eagle!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Love my Klose as well, would love to have a Shirley or a Lang....pick the service you are comfortable with 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Good problem to have and I don’t think you can go wrong with either.   I suspect you can throw a towel over the difference in food quality off of either of these units.  

I have been dreaming/ kicking around both of these as well. My personal preference would be towards the Shirley, it has an amazing build quality. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don’t own a stick burner (yet!), but there’s no “buy today” re: a Shirley. Great cookers from what I’ve heard, but the wait list was 2+ yrs, the last I heard. 

Haven’t heard much remorse or regret from Lang or Klose owners. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I am not going to say which is better because that is simply one mans opinion. And as you are well aware, opinions vary my friend. With that said, the following is not opinion. It is simply a fact. Read the following differences and you decide which fits your needs and cooking style the most.  
     The design of, and the actual flow of air (draft) is the most important feature of a stick burner and will ultimately determine how well it will perform. It doesn't matter how good a weld is or how good it looks if it doesn't burn and draft properly, you will be disappointed.
    Heard are a few of the major design differences between the two. Lang has about 1/3 of the fire box extended into the HCC to help transfer some additional radiant heat. Shirley has no FB in the HCC, which helps keep a more uniform HCC but is not as efficient. Lang has a "sunken" smoke stack drawing air from about 1/4 - 1/3 down inside the HCC, where Shirley draws from the top of the HCC. There are weaknesses and strengths to both of these designs. However you should be aware of them and chose accordingly to fit your needs. 

Both are great smokers. Both are reverse flow. Both will deliver great Q. But they run different. And they definitely draft different and the hot/cool zone is definitely different for the reasons I mentioned above. 
    You will probably be happy with either. Just chose the one that fits your style of cooking and enjoy. 
    Again I am not trying to push you either way. Just wanted to point out some differences between the two. Both are great units. They just run different.  
    Hope this helps my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I cannot compare as I only have a Lang 36".  It met my objective of learning to cook on a stick burner without a huge footprint.  I have had it for not quite four years and have never looked back.  As noted above there are many options in the world of stick burners.  
    I'm not a member of BBQ Brethern forum but believe you can read numerous articles about messing about with sticks over there.  Google will also yield lots of interesting reading. FWIW-
    Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SGH said:
    I am not going to say which is better because that is simply one mans opinion. And as you are well aware, opinions vary my friend. With that said, the following is not opinion. It is simply a fact. Read the following differences and you decide which fits your needs and cooking style the most.  
     The design of, and the actual flow of air (draft) is the most important feature of a stick burner and will ultimately determine how well it will perform. It doesn't matter how good a weld is or how good it looks if it doesn't burn and draft properly, you will be disappointed.
    Heard are a few of the major design differences between the two. Lang has about 1/3 of the fire box extended into the HCC to help transfer some additional radiant heat. Shirley has no FB in the HCC, which helps keep a more uniform HCC but is not as efficient. Lang has a "sunken" smoke stack drawing air from about 1/4 - 1/3 down inside the HCC, where Shirley draws from the top of the HCC. There are weaknesses and strengths to both of these designs. However you should be aware of them and chose accordingly to fit your needs. 
    Both are great smokers. Both are reverse flow. Both will deliver great Q. But they run different. And they definitely draft different and the hot/cool zone is definitely different for the reasons I mentioned above. 
    You will probably be happy with either. Just chose the one that fits your style of cooking and enjoy. 
    Again I am not trying to push you either way. Just wanted to point out some differences between the two. Both are great units. They just run different.  
    Hope this helps my friend.  
    I'll say that this is the most informed opinion re: stick burners that I've ever seen/read, after secretly lusting, and reading about, stick burners for a LONG while.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don’t own a stick burner (yet!), but there’s no “buy today” re: a Shirley. Great cookers from what I’ve heard, but the wait list was 2+ yrs, the last I heard. 

Haven’t heard much remorse or regret from Lang or Klose owners. 
    I believe the 24×36 Shirley patio model is around a 8 week wait period. (This particular model isn't a custom order so they can make this model at a higher rate)

The rest of their smokers are custom made. I believe the wait is around 36 months the last I heard. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The problem I think most of us face when looking at a stick burner is that we lack real experience with them. I appreciate what @SGH had to say (and it’s smart to listen to him). I personally made the choice to buy a Lone Star Grillz stick burner. It was closer to home, was in my price range, and had a shorter delivery time. I cannot speak to how it would compare to a Shirley or a Lang because I’ve never cooked on one. I think the only thought I can add to this discussion (of any real value) is to buy a quality pit from a reputable manufacturer. From there, just learn YOUR new cooker and how it cooks. I suspect you can turn out excellent BBQ on whichever one you choose. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    @SciAggie
    Lone Star is par excellent. My next purchase will be a Lone Star. They are simply fantastic units.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I have heard that the KBQ unit will also do a great job.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• fourwinds
    fourwinds Posts: 13
    Options
    I have owned both. I currently own the Shirley. Both are efficient and easy to run cookers once you get them figured out (obviously not as easy as an egg). The Shirley would be my favorite. I like the the cabinet style cook chamber, which means a swing out door and one extra level of cooking as compared to the Lang. It also comes with pneumatic wheels, whereas the Lang came with two pneumatic and 2 small diameter metal wheels. The Lang is cheaper, the Shirley is going to hold more food. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I got my 24x42 Shirley back in September of 2017.
    The first stick burner I've owned.
    As you can see it has a warmer and is on a modified trailer.
    Best cooker ever! The quality of the build is second to none.
    Drafts great, even temps and is a breeze to cook on.
    Tyler now makes a 36" patio model and it has great reviews.
    Wait time on these is very short as this is more a "Production Model" that has just a few options. I really like the single door on it. And having three racks in the main chamber is a game changer for a small offset. I do believe the stack now is located on the side of the cook chamber for better flavor profile all around in the cook chamber.

My Shirley

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    caliking said:
    Not true, I happen to know a guy with a huge 30x80 SF for sale, ready for immediate delivery.  B)
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Not true, I happen to know a guy with a huge 30x80 SF for sale, ready for immediate delivery.  B)
    Are you selling yours brother?

Status- Standing by.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    SGH said:
    CTMike said:
    Yes. My wife’s health has seriously declined over the last year and a half, so I don’t want to work all week and then be away on weekends slinging q.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    SGH said:
    @SciAggie
    Lone Star is par excellent. My next purchase will be a Lone Star. They are simply fantastic units.  
    What Unit # will This one be?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    CTMike said:
    SGH said:
    CTMike said:
    Yes. My wife’s health has seriously declined over the last year and a half, so I don’t want to work all week and then be away on weekends slinging q.
    Brother Mike i am truly sorry to hear about your wife. I certainly will keep her in my prayers. I wish yall the absolute very best my friend. If you ever need someone to talk to or to vent your frustrations at, you have my number my friend. I am all ears.

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SGH said:
    CTMike said:
    SGH said:
    CTMike said:
    Brother Mike i am truly sorry to hear about your wife. I certainly will keep her in my prayers. I wish yall the absolute very best my friend. If you ever need someone to talk to or to vent your frustrations at, you have my number my friend. I am all ears.
    I can attest to the fact that Scotty is a great listener.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum