Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib curse continues

Options
lentsboy007
lentsboy007 Posts: 416
Got a 1/3 beef last week . One of the options was beef ribs, and I excitingly asked  for them because I can’t find any processor or butcher around here that will cut beef ribs. Got like 6 packages with my 1/3.  Opened them up this morning , and they were cut into individual ribs....... So, is there any point to trying to smoke these ? If not , any ideas what to do with them ? Thanks in advance . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited June 2020
    Options
    They will smoke just fine , if not even better with more area, just run with the audible
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Rub em and smoke em.  Your in for a treat with the added benefit of more bark per bite.  Good luck 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    They will smoke just fine , if not even better with more area, just run with the audible
    I assume the cook time will be much less right ? 

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    The last couple I smoked took a little over 5 hours.   The full rack takes me around 6

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    As others have said, they'll cook up well.  You'll have a little more bark.  I tend to spray them with a little apple juice every 30 minutes when I'm cooking singles as I think the moisture helps, but that's just superstition.  The cooking time is most based on the thickness of the meat - so having singles doesn't shorten the cook time that much.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I assume the cook time will be much less right ? 
    Not necessarily 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • casslong52
    casslong52 Posts: 10
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when we got a 1/2 cow. They cook up fine though. Like previously mentioned, took about 5 hrs

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are they individual ribs, or cut thinner? If cut thin, I'd consider sort of a reverse sear, or grill them, basting with a sweetish sauce at the end (bbq or kalbi - style). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    caliking said:
    Are they individual ribs, or cut thinner? If cut thin, I'd consider sort of a reverse sear, or grill them, basting with a sweetish sauce at the end (bbq or kalbi - style). 

They are individual cut, and plenty thick. Seem pretty fatty , but we will see . Have been smoking about an hour . 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Toothpick test for the win.  Beef ribs beat their pork cousins every time.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Well they turned out pretty good .  A little too much fat , but great flavor . Thanks again for advice all. 

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    Those almost look like short ribs.  I like to start them with smoke and finish with a braise.  They are more fatty than regular ribs.
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Those almost look like short ribs.  I like to start them with smoke and finish with a braise.  They are more fatty than regular ribs.
    Yes they are short ribs.  Only thing I can get around here apparently . 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    beef short ribs are the bomb. Only beef ribs I would cook. I do however greatly prefer five bone slabs cooked whole and then sliced into individual bones. Outside of mock burnt ends (beef or pork) I almost always choose to cook proteins in larger portions. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited June 2020
    Options
    agree. for individual ribs cut long like that, you can cut them in half. take a knife and cut down to the bone, all the way around.  then cut the bone with a hacksaw, and rinse off the bone dust.  then you've got a nice portion size and easy to fit in a pot or pan to braise. 

i wouldn't call it a curse though - great looking meat and a great looking outcome.  well done.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle