Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
Did a Chuck Roast on the LBGE yesterday. Bride of Teefus found a nice 3 1/2 pounder.

I covered it with Penzeys Beef Roast Rub (sweet paprika, salt, onion, celery, arrowroot, sugar, garlic, Tellicherry black pepper, parsley, dill seed, caraway, turmeric, dill weed, bay leaf, thyme, savory, basil, marjoram and rosemary).

It spent 5 1/2 hours at about 300*, with the last two in foil. I pulled it at an internal of 210* and let it rest a bit prior to slicing. It turned out pretty well. It was nice and juicy, but not as tender as I'd hoped. It was about like a steak and there was still come connective tissue remaining. It was still very tasty. I guess we go longer next time?
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Sounds a like a bit longer and a bit of a braise......Chuck does very well with Sous Vide and a Sear....still sounds like you had some good eats  

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Every time I do a chuck, I always ask myself why don't I do them more often.

I put them in foil pan with some veggies and red wine, garlic, mustard and tomato paste...and let it go to about an IT of about 205⁰F.

Works out kind of nice.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Did a Chuck Roast on the LBGE yesterday. Bride of Teefus found a nice 3 1/2 pounder.

I covered it with Penzeys Beef Roast Rub (sweet paprika, salt, onion, celery, arrowroot, sugar, garlic, Tellicherry black pepper, parsley, dill seed, caraway, turmeric, dill weed, bay leaf, thyme, savory, basil, marjoram and rosemary).

It spent 5 1/2 hours at about 300*, with the last two in foil. I pulled it at an internal of 210* and let it rest a bit prior to slicing. It turned out pretty well. It was nice and juicy, but not as tender as I'd hoped. It was about like a steak and there was still come connective tissue remaining. It was still very tasty. I guess we go longer next time?
    I did a chuck roast a couple of weeks ago and had similar results. It was very tasty, but the consistency wasn’t what I was looking for. 
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    I'm jealous! I cant find a chuck roast that doesn't look like yak meat or cost $8/lb....
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    @Teefus - I love a good Chuckie on the Egg.  Just did one last weekend.  I will say, through trial and error, 212* seems to lead to the easiest, slicing or shredding, depending on your preference.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'm jealous! I cant find a chuck roast that doesn't look like yak meat or cost $8/lb....
    I feel your pain. This was $6.99/# but it looked pretty good. It was also on a “sell today” discount so we got 20% off. I remember when chuck roast was a poor man’s cut. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Pepper Stout Beef. I think the liquid from the beer, worcestershire, and veggies helps with the braise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWZ74mOTTA
    Mountain View, CA