Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NBD is May 28th but some are getting a head-start. Post your brisket tribute cooks here!

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
With National Brisket Day Thursday some need to honor the briskets Gods and Goddesses a bit early and some on the other end of the week.  Please use this thread to post your tribute to this once a year yet to be proclaimed holiday.  You are encouraged to post any level of detail you wish regarding your brisket journey.  For the past couple of years this event has served as a catalyst for many to first run with a brisket cook.  Time to go again.  Above all, have fun.  (The friggin cow drives the cook.) 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Will do. I am starting mine this evening, and will post as we move forward. Doing my second Creekstone 14 pounder pre trim. We will see what happens.

Planning to sit up for a while around the firepit, hoisting a glass or 12 to my friends here on the forum I have met through the years, and of those I have lost.

I have never found a way to edit those experiences. I never will.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Bought a brisket from Creekstone, pre trim weight of 15lb 11oz......after trimming, 9lb 11oz.Got to tell you, not thrilled with their prime certified CAB, in the two I have purchased thus far.

Took about an hour to trim, and most of the trim was thick, heavy, hard fat.

I have much better at Costco, comparitively speaking.

Will be adding more info as I go forward with this cook.

At 225⁰F I would give most briskets generally about 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound. That would typically be a cook for this one, about a 12 hour, 10 minute cook, just ball parking. 

Due to the fat content and fat make up, I expect this cook to go longer than normal. I am guessing 15 hours. If I am right, it will be the first time ever to do so, when it comes to cooking a brisket.

It will be fun to see If I even get close. The toothpick will be the indicator when it is ready. 

Dang thing will likely go 6 hours...with my luck. You just never know. Cow drives the cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @YukonRon - Sorry to learn of that from Creekstone as I have not seen that.  On the plus side, that post trimmed hunk is looking mighty fine.  
    Enjoy the cook as I know you always do.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - Sorry to learn of that from Creekstone as I have not seen that.  On the plus side, that post trimmed hunk is looking mighty fine.  
    Enjoy the cook as I know you always do.  
    @lousubcap

You know me; when you get a lemon, you make lemonade bourbon slushies.

Got a batch of them in the freezer, using  OFo, one of my faves.

Got it rubbed down, using a blend of spices, and yes, I commited brisket sin, I injected it with some beef stock, garlic juice and onion juice. Used only about 6 ounces. 

I was impressed with the point though. It looks pretty nice. Might be the savior. Who the heck knows?

Getting the XL dialed in needs some cleaning before putting this  beef cut on for sure.

Thanks for the words and encouragement.

Onward.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @YukonRon I have had a few cocktails this evening but I know you are into brisket injecting for the end-game.  As I always say, however you get the outcome you want is all that matters.
    You've got this-bring it home and grab another for 5/28  =) 
    Be healthy and safe.
    Above all, have fun!
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Bought a brisket from Creekstone, pre trim weight of 15lb 11oz......after trimming, 9lb 11oz.

Wow. My Costco 12 pounder came in at 10 after trimming. I don’t trim quite as tightly as you did but still - that’s a LOT of fat that they charged you for. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc
    Options

Smobot settled in and the brisket went on at 8. 
    New Orleans LA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    YukonRon said:
    Bought a brisket from Creekstone, pre trim weight of 15lb 11oz......after trimming, 9lb 11oz.

Wow. My Costco 12 pounder came in at 10 after trimming. I don’t trim quite as tightly as you did but still - that’s a LOT of fat that they charged you for. 
    Yeah, Think I bought my last from this supplier. Hoping it turns out. The rub is awesome, I had to inject due to all the hard fat I had to remove. Still ket at least 1/4 inch on the fat side.

I was not expecting competition grade, but I certainly did not imagine this either.

We will be fine no matter how it turns out.

Onward.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dondgc
    edited May 2020
    Options
    203 after 14 hours.  Probing like butter. Pulled off a small piece of flat. Delicious!
    New Orleans LA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @lousubcap

Need your opinion. As I mentioned previously, this brisket should have been done around the 12hr time frame, but I also added due to the high fat content, it would likely be a 15 hour cook (or more).

Is it possible by examining the approx % fat content on a brisket, and determine or ball park the length of cook?

Thinking this might be about a 15 hour cook may just hit that projection.

Just curious as to your experience, or if it even matters.

Thanks.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Dondgc - great bark.  Great eats await.  Way to bring it home.
    @YukonRon - never have given any thought to the fat content variable as I tend to trim to around the same every time.  I see totally random cook times from the same weight and brisket source but that inter-muscular hard fat layer could be a contributor.  With all the other curves the cow throws during the cook that is a new one for me.  
    I will pay attention this Thursday when I fire up my latest hunk of brisket from Heartbrand Beef.  Of course a single point of data gives me infinite options for drawing a conclusion.   B)

• YukonRon
    Options
    15 hours 12 minutes. Closest I have ever been with a SWAG on cooking time with a brisket. I think the injection may have saved this one....very tender. Currently cooler butcher paper and toweled waiting for dinner. Will post an image later.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @YukonRon time to pick the Powerball numbers.  I have never been remotely close to that accuracy.  I just aim to get inside the FTC window and then enjoy.
    Impressive right there.  Enjoy the follow-on eats and gathering.  
  • Dondgc
    Options
    SmokeGirl said:

I think that brisket is about twice the size of mine! I had similar results- not my best, but a fun cook and still good eats. 
    New Orleans LA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SmokeGirl said:
    I trimmed about 3 lbs of hard fat off last night with plenty of fat still left on my prime Costco brisket. Accidentally went to 212 because my alarm on the thermometer didn’t go off and I was asleep. 🥺 Still probed like buttah’. Not my best but still delicious!! 
    One thing about brisket, when it is good it is great! If you like it that is all that matters.

I could do a plate full of that.

Nice work. Thank you for sharing hope mine turns out 1/2 as good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    SmokeGirl said:

I think that brisket is about twice the size of mine! I had similar results- not my best, but a fun cook and still good eats. 
    It is a fun cook, and the first bites are always awesome.

Going to pull mine up soon, hope it is ok.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dondgc
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    It is a fun cook, and the first bites are always awesome.

Going to pull mine up soon, hope it is ok.
    That is so true! I don’t know why that is - but the first bites are always awesome. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    It came apart on the egg, had to use a pizza peel to remove

Was not bad as I thought it might be. Injecting saved it. Really good flavor throughout.
    It certainly looks good! 
    New Orleans LA
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Put 1 and 3/4 pounds sliced on the table. Had to slice anpther 1/2 pound......5 people.

Thank you for the kind words.

Served it with this:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    National wine day is like, everyday.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeGirl
    SmokeGirl Posts: 22
    Options
    @YukonRon it looks great! 

Large BGE 2017,  a Genesis Webber gasser, and dreaming of a MiniMax 

Central Ohio and PTC, Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SmokeGirl said:
    @YukonRon it looks great! 

Thank you for the kind words. I was concerned this would not be a good experience.

Turned out better than I had previously anticipated.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Did some corn on a last minute audible for My Beautiful Wife tonight. Roasted on the mini max wrapped in foil for 30 mins.

Made a paste from:

1 cup of blended and grated asiago, romana and parmigiano 

½ cup Dukes Mayo

1 tablespoon of chili powder 

1 teaspoon of freshly cracked (coarse) black pepper

Use about 2 tablespoons per ear and smear it all over it.

Wrap in foil, 30 minutes......serve devour and plan to make extra the next time.

The left over paste is great on saltines with a bourbon slushie.

Just sayin'.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SmokeGirl - PM sent that may answer some brisket questions downstream.
    Meanwhile- nailed that cook.  Congrats!
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    YukonRon I don't know what I do differently.  Maybe I have the dome sensor for my CyberQ positioned improperly, though it usually agrees within 5 degrees of my eggs dome thermometer.  With all that said,  I don't think I've ever cooked a brisket or a butt at 225 that took less than 24 hours.  I know I've not cooked nearly as many as you, but to get them to finish at any less than 24, I have to bump the temp up to speed things along.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @FarmerTom

Hey Tommy!

Long time! Hope things are going well.

The brisket turned out really well, considering that its content consisted of a larger quantity of hard fat, which had to be removed, than I was accustomed to,  about 40% of the total mass.

I thought with the removal of that, and the existing fat left, from 9 pounds, it would take a while longer than the rule of thumb of about 1 hr 15 minutes per pound.

Injecting will typically lower the IT during the cook so you have to watch that a bit closely and use the tooth pick for determining when it is done. As an example, this was done at 195⁰F internal.

Had to please My Beautuful Wife, so the mission was accomplished. Fun cook when you have to react to all the audibles and deliver. The cow may have won, but I a bit more control how Elsie  got to the finish line.

Again good to see you, stay well my friend.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Completed the non brisket prep work for NBD.  Pulled the guts and totally cleaned the LBGE (no clean burn-never have done one) and single-point checked all the analog thermos.  No adjustments needed.  Loaded wood chunks and Rockwood. 
    Brisket gets the business later this PM.  No target eat time so no 0'dark thirty start.  First time with Heartbrand Akaushi beef.  Can't wait.  
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    @YukonRon that's a lot of fat right there, brother!
    Memphis, TN