Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I read this article then I read the commentary below.-OT

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    The percentage of students who qualify for federal loans is typically only about a third.   

I was aiming at that one. But carry on 
    What you quoted doesn’t address that either.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Keep in mind,
    football keeps 90% of the campus funded. Without it, there wouldn’t be english, history or all those other random majors. 
    This is really true.  It’s why you won’t find history or English departments at D-2 or D-3 schools.  Oh wait...
    You expect me to believe that the 8 figure income D1 football brings in remains in athletics? Cmon man, you’re a professor. 
    The specific assertion I’m contesting is that without football, there wouldn’t be history or English departments.  Obviously this is incorrect, as plenty of schools without profitable football programs have those departments.  In other words, I’m not asking you to believe anything, I’m asking you to exercise your critical thinking skills.  And yes that is what professors do, particularly those of us in engineering.
    Ok, so I misspoke about English and History. Cut out basketball and football at Duke and see what sticks around. 
    I suggest you read the piece I posted above.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Keep in mind,
    football keeps 90% of the campus funded. Without it, there wouldn’t be english, history or all those other random majors. 
    This is really true.  It’s why you won’t find history or English departments at D-2 or D-3 schools.  Oh wait...
    You expect me to believe that the 8 figure income D1 football brings in remains in athletics? Cmon man, you’re a professor. 
    The specific assertion I’m contesting is that without football, there wouldn’t be history or English departments.  Obviously this is incorrect, as plenty of schools without profitable football programs have those departments.  In other words, I’m not asking you to believe anything, I’m asking you to exercise your critical thinking skills.  And yes that is what professors do, particularly those of us in engineering.
    Ok, so I misspoke about English and History. Cut out basketball and football at Duke and see what sticks around. 
    Read. That article is 4+ years old. I find it very hard to believe that it is still 100% factual. The data they used for the “10 schools” was from 2011-2014. Also old. LSU Football made 92 million last year and profited 55+ million off of that. PROFIT. I promise you athletics is carrying some departments there
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2020
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Keep in mind,
    Read. That article is 4+ years old. I find it very hard to believe that it is still 100% factual. The data they used for the “10 schools” was from 2011-2014. Also old. LSU Football made 92 million last year and profited 55+ million off of that. PROFIT. I promise you athletics is carrying some departments there
    Well, I can’t argue with a promise, so you’ve got me there.

• ColbyLang
    Options
    Are you naive enough to believe coach K and his impressive basketball team doesn’t carry anything at Duke besides basketball? Cmon man
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    They profited (Duke basketball) 31.1 million in 2018. That just sitting in a bank account to pay Zion? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    They profited (Duke basketball) 31.1 million in 2018. That just sitting in a bank account to pay Zion? 
    What do you think the University’s operating budget is?   I’m just talking about the academic side of things, never mind the athletic department, which is completely separate.  I‘m just looking for an order of magnitude estimate.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    What do you think the University’s operating budget is?   I’m just talking about the academic side of things, never mind the athletic department, which is completely separate.  I‘m just looking for an order of magnitude estimate.
    Probably in the ball park of 2-3 Billion. Good size school. I’d bet 50% of that number pays wages to professors and staff (benefit packages as well). 
  • ColbyLang
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Am I close?
    We’re making progress!  Now, what percentage of $2-3 Billion is provided by $31 Million?
  • ColbyLang
    edited May 2020
    Options
    More than zero like you claim. It’s about 1.25%. But back out the ole 50% wages all of them fancy employees make. (It’s probably closer to 65-70%). That makes it about 1.5 Billion (using 3) or about 2.5%. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    More than zero like you claim
    LMAO I never said zero.  I said it was very little, to the tune of one percent like the article I cited.  You are the one who claimed, from the beginning, that it was on the order of NINETY percent.  Would you maybe care to revise that assessment?

By the way, this all assumes that all of that profit *from one program* can be applied to the academic side.  The problem with this assumption is that, in practice, it can’t be, because other athletic programs run at a loss.  An example at Duke is the football program, that’s been running a deficit to the tune of a couple mil a year over the last decade.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Consider it revised. I still believe that programs on campus would cease to exist without funding from athletics. Be it backers donations that get pushed one way or the other or the profitability of the program
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Consider it revised. I still believe that programs on campus would cease to exist without funding from athletics. Be it backers donations that get pushed one way or the other or the profitability of the program
    Well at least we’re getting somewhere, but again - just look at schools with D-2 or D-3 programs. They’re really not making much of anything off athletics, and yet they are somehow able to offer lots and lots of programs, including relatively obscure things like... History.  And English.  How do you imagine they’re able to do that without all of that athletic “profit” ?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    "OK, I was off by 90+ percent but I'm still right!"
    That's always a winning argument.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk