Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tried a different method for wings

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
edited May 2020 in EggHead Forum
I have done wings a thousand times, likely a thousand different ways, always trying to find the Holy Grail.

Temps vs times, dehydrating in the fridge for different lengths of time, rubs, marinades, smoke, direct,  indirect, below, at, above the felt line, high in the dome, baking powder, etc., flipping at different time intervals,seriously you name it.

So.....last night attempt 1001:

I bought a package of whole wings, cut them into pieces, placed them in a heavy duty foil type aluminum pan on a double layer of paper towels, covered them with one layer of paper towels and placed them in the fridge naked with no rubs or baking powder/starch for 24 hours.

After getting them out of the fridge, removing and discarding the paper towel layer I had previously placed on the top (for those folks cheap like me, you can soak these towels in canola, and use them to light your BGE) applied my rub (with approximately 20% to 25% corn starch mixed in), vigorously.

The egg was set up with Rockwood, and if you wish to smoke the wings use very little smoke wood, I used two very small pieces, 1 pecan, 1 peach. Use whatever you want or go without.

The temp was 400⁰F raised, indirect (this was in my XL).

I placed a small bakers rack, inside a heavy duty, aluminum foil pan, placed the wing pieces on it and placed it in the BGE.

I flipped the wings every 20 minutes 4x. Total of about 90 to 100 minutes.

The result was extraordinary. Perfectly crisp, juicy wings that were demolished by the children in less than 10 minutes from being served.

Unfortunately, I only experimented with 28. I got two pieces, a flat and a gripper. Awesome.

I will never do these any other way. Might not be the Holy Grail, but the best I have ever cooked on the BGE, and it was not even close.

Apologies for the totally unprofessional image shared, but, I was hoping to convey the cooking set up used inside the XL. 

Having done this without the pan and baking rack, and comparing it to this method, doing the same heat, times, etc., this direction was noticeably superior.

The only change I will make going forward is figuring out a method to double the amount cooked. The way our children love grilled wings, I will purchase a second XL or be like the other bold and brave on this forum....an XXL.

Anyway. Thought I would share, hope it works for you if you try it.

Goes great with bourbon slushies.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Those look fantastic. 90-100 minutes at 400 seems like a really long time but I normally go direct, I will have to give the indirect method a try. Thanks for sharing.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    gmanrva said:
    Those look fantastic. 90-100 minutes at 400 seems like a really long time but I normally go direct, I will have to give the indirect method a try. Thanks for sharing.
    Try the foil pan and rack too.

Thank you for checking in.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great outcome right there.  Gotta admit I would not have tried the pan method but will have to give it a shot.  Nailed 'em.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great outcome right there.  Gotta admit I would not have tried the pan method but will have to give it a shot.  Nailed 'em.  
    Thank you Frank. Appreciate it. 

Make sure you use the rack inside the pan.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Ron, you are an inspiration. On the to do list!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Funny Ron, I’ve always felt I “overcook” wings compared to what I see posted here most of the time.  I like them crispy, rendered and well done.  They’re really hard to dry out overall.  I too cook hot and long, raised high indirect, most of the time drip pan and no stone.  I’ve never tried the foil pan.  I fridge dry maybe 10% of the time, only when I plan ahead for it.  Going long and hot like this, I’ve never noticed it making a difference.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Great looking wings!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You could do something similar in two levels with an AR.  You would need two sliding racks.  Wings on top, short drip tray just underneath, then wings again and another drip pan on the primary BGE grid.  I don’t have enough wing eaters around during the lockdown to try that.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    That sure looks like a winner to me!  Time 1002 will have to be stacked trays with enough space between them to get that good convection effect working to crisp them up. 

I’ve been craving wings and they seem to be the only thing I didn’t stock up on before this virus curtailed my frequent trips to the store. At least I was smart enough to lay in sufficient bourbon for slushies and other applications. Need to find out just how good a slushy will taste with this wing method! (Altho I have a pretty good idea.)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Great looking wings. May steal your prep method but want to try my new rotisserie basket. Have to hunt down my pack of frozen wings though.
    canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @YukonRon Thanks for sharing your experience. That’s part of the fun around here. Folks try things - then share the success (or failure) and we all learn. 
    I’m curious since you were already cooking indirect what the pan and rack brought to the cook? 
    Do you feel it was extra indirect protection - allowing the 90 minute cook?
    The way you dried in the fridge is interesting. We’re the paper towels wet/moist when you took them out?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    they look awesome
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Those wings look fantastic- thanks for posting the method. (And enjoy your second XL =)😂😂😂)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Wings look great. If you have a Weber kettle pick up a vortex. Best and easiest way I have found for wings. 35-40 minutes and nice crispy skin. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Nice looking cook @YukonRon. Love wings. Wife and kids not so much. May have to try and win them over with these. Any sauce post cooking?
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Those look fantastic. I'll give your method a try next time.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Great approach and results. 

I have not nailed wings yet. They are usually a day of decision so no overnight sleep in the fridge. 

Thanks for sharing. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • thetrim
    Options
    You don't happen to have a picture of your wings after the corn starch/rub application do you?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon Thanks for sharing your experience. That’s part of the fun around here. Folks try things - then share the success (or failure) and we all learn. 
    I’m curious since you were already cooking indirect what the pan and rack brought to the cook? 
    Do you feel it was extra indirect protection - allowing the 90 minute cook?
    The way you dried in the fridge is interesting. We’re the paper towels wet/moist when you took them out?
    @SciAggie

When I have not used the pan and the rack, indirect, I failed to get the crispness of the skin that one would get while frying. This method seemed to deliver that pseudo fried taste without the oil while providing the steamy juicy meat contained just beneath the very crispy exterior.

I think the pan actually increased the crispness, and the rack allowing the convection flow aided the faster locking in of the juice. I wish I had taken a picture of the pan afterwards, as there was literally no fat accumulation in the pan, maybe  less than 10 spots where dripping occured, and not much of that.

The towels on the bottom after 24 hours were damp, but not wet, and the towel covering the surface was only damp where the towel made contact with the wing pieces.

Our son, who has forever been my biggest critic on cooking wings, flat out said these were the best he had ever had. (College kid, wings and ramen as well as beer are his only 3 food groups.)

I got a few ideas, along with a couple of suggestions on trying something new, but for now I think I have found my vertical limit on cooking these.

I hope this helps, let me know.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ron, you are an inspiration. On the to do list!
    @frazzdaddy

Thank you...but hardly inspirational....you would think someone in any sort of engineering would have figured this out long ago. DUH. I amaze myself several times a day on how stupid I am.

It is worth the try.....hope you enjoy them when you do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    Options
    @YukonRon that's high praise from your son.  Not sure if he has a Hooter's or Wing House near campus???...
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @YukonRon Thanks for the detailed reply. I learn something new here all the time. I may try wings on a rack in the wood oven. They have shown promise before, but not exactly the right outcome. This might be the adjustment I need to make. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    Funny Ron, I’ve always felt I “overcook” wings compared to what I see posted here most of the time.  I like them crispy, rendered and well done.  They’re really hard to dry out overall.  I too cook hot and long, raised high indirect, most of the time drip pan and no stone.  I’ve never tried the foil pan.  I fridge dry maybe 10% of the time, only when I plan ahead for it.  Going long and hot like this, I’ve never noticed it making a difference.
    @Legume

I get it and will agree about long and hot the traditional way

I have done it both ways on fridge drying, and with this method it made a difference. Or to all that eat the wings I have cooked, this method has become the preferred result.

The foil pan is part of it ....but the rack inside was what I think to be the key. In the pan if there is any rub at all, and it has any sugars.....it will stick to the bottom and you lose a bit on the crispness being pretty equal on the surface area.

If you try this use the rack, and I hope you enjoy them as we have.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Great looking wings!
    Thank you for looking in....appreciate the feed back.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    thetrim said:
    they look awesome
    Thank you for looking in....means a lot...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    That sure looks like a winner to me!  Time 1002 will have to be stacked trays with enough space between them to get that good convection effect working to crisp them up. 

I’ve been craving wings and they seem to be the only thing I didn’t stock up on before this virus curtailed my frequent trips to the store. At least I was smart enough to lay in sufficient bourbon for slushies and other applications. Need to find out just how good a slushy will taste with this wing method! (Altho I have a pretty good idea.)
    @HendersonTRKing

I am working on that now, but I am trying to find another rack, exactly like the one I used for this cook.

Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Those wings look fantastic- thanks for posting the method. (And enjoy your second XL =)😂😂😂)
    @mEGG_My_Day
    It never ends, the wreckless spending....  Thank you for the kind words.
    I hope you enjoy it should you try it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @Lit

I have a weber.....use it to store stuff. Will try it out.
    Thank you for the heads up.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Nice looking cook @YukonRon. Love wings. Wife and kids not so much. May have to try and win them over with these. Any sauce post cooking?
    @ColbyLang

Typically all have sriracha in them in some manner. Dipping sauces are good, but you could go without them.

1) Honey Sriracha (occasionally add bourbon)
    2) Ranch Sriracha
    3) Bleu Cheese Sriracha

I grab them off the grid without it using sauce, the rub I use adds enough flavor for me and the juiciness of the wings.

Thank you for the kind words, and aporeciate you looking in.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Those look fantastic. I'll give your method a try next time.
    I hope you enjoy them as much as we have.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky