Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Gold Grade

Options
jeffc5227
jeffc5227 Posts: 131
I have cooked two whole packer black grade SRF  briskets. Finally pulled the trigger on a 14-16lb gold grade it arrives Thursday. I'm hoping to cook it Saturday any pointers or anything I should do differently than a normal brisket cook? I will update the cook and post pictures. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    jeffc5227 said:
    I have cooked two whole packer black grade SRF  briskets. Finally pulled the trigger on a 14-16lb gold grade it arrives Thursday. I'm hoping to cook it Saturday any pointers or anything I should do differently than a normal brisket cook? I will update the cook and post pictures. Thanks in advance.
    When did you make this purchase?  Last I checked they were all sold out of all brisket.  You may have obtained one of the last ones, at least for awhile.

Anyway, you are in for a real treat.  These things are ridiculous with all the marbling.  Not sure I have any great advice for you as I've only cooked one of them myself.  They are incredibly soft at room temperature.  As with the black grade, you will want to start probing fairly early to check for doneness.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    I purchased it a couple of weeks ago when they were running a $25.00 off sale. Should I shoot for around my typical internal temperature for pulling it of 203F?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    jeffc5227 said:
    I purchased it a couple of weeks ago when they were running a $25.00 off sale. Should I shoot for around my typical internal temperature for pulling it of 203F?
    I tend not to cook briskets to a pre-determined temperature, but I have been told recently that I’ll never win any championships that way.  So... take my advice with a grain of salt.  

I tend to cook them until they are done.  That means probing tender in the thickest part of the flat.  With SRFs, I start probing around 185F.  And then I just pull them off when they’re done, and the IT can be just about anywhere in my experience.  I haven’t seen one finish much higher than 200, but that’s just me.
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely don't want to screw this one up. I've cooked many briskets but this one is going to come with some added pressure.   
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The finish temperature you're looking for is "probes like butter".
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Great score and you will be pushing the thaw envelope to get it thawed out by Saturday if using the fridge but the brisket pedigree has nothing to do with that.  The prep and cook process is the same as noted above.  The richness of the gold grade compared to the black is noticeable and will drive you into meat coma much sooner.  Just make sure you have a drip pan with a lot of room for the renderings.
    I have had one SRF brisket finish (by feel) in the high 190's but other than that it's the low 200"s*F and even took one to 208*F.  
    You are in for quite the treat.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is a pic of me with an SRF Gold grade brisket at Brisket Camp from many years ago.

If you can find a regular brisket that's as floppy as that right out of the gate I'll be impressed.  This thing was melting on the table we were using to apply the rub.
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great score and you will be pushing the thaw envelope to get it thawed out by Saturday if using the fridge but the brisket pedigree has nothing to do with that.  The prep and cook process is the same as noted above.  The richness of the gold grade compared to the black is noticeable and will drive you into meat coma much sooner.  Just make sure you have a drip pan with a lot of room for the renderings.
    I have had one SRF brisket finish (by feel) in the high 190's but other than that it's the low 200"s*F and even took one to 208*F.  
    You are in for quite the treat.  
    My wife just corrected me it shipped today and should be delivered tomorrow. Like I said I pulled the trigger over 2 weeks ago when I started to worry about a possible shortage.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Good luck, your in for a real treat!! It may cook slightly quicker than your used too as well. Enjoy!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I'm impressed that you allow SWMBO (aka wife) access to those type purchases.  I grabbed one before they ran out, scheduled delivery for early June.  As an aside, National Brisket Day is Thursday, May 28th.   Food for scheduling purposes.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm impressed that you allow SWMBO (aka wife) access to those type purchases.  I grabbed one before they ran out, scheduled delivery for early June.  As an aside, National Brisket Day is Thursday, May 28th.   Food for scheduling purposes.   B)
    She gets the emails from the pay pal account. I did bypass asking her permission however, better to ask for forgiveness then permission right?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I never ask My Beautiful Wife for permission. I just do whatever she tells me.

Just kidding. She is awesome.

The last SRF gold grade brisket I made was for a dinner party we hosted. A SL full of fat in that bad boy. It probed easy around 185F, but that was due to the extremely high level of fat in that brisket.

I let it go to 198⁰F before pulling, and let it set for a couple hours in BPTC.

It fell apart upon the unwrapping, so I basically sliced what I could and put the pieces that fell off on the cutting board along side the slices.

It was rich. It was good, and feeding the group of 10, it was picked upon after dinner, until there was almost nothing left of the 14 lb Pre cook.

Whatever was left was bagged and sent home with our guests. They were thrilled to have it.

That was my 3rd and last SRF Gold Brisket. The previous two were very similar. Just too much fat for us. It is certainly a treat, and the flavor is great, but just a bit much for us.

Personally, I prefer the black. I have a couple (2-3) in the freezer, I think we will be ok until their inventory situation fixes itself.

Good luck, you will enjoy it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    Dang Ron I wish I would've known this before ordering I would have just stayed with the black grade and saved some $$. My wife is really picky about the fat and probably wont really enjoy it that much, 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @jeffc5227

There will be plenty of nonfat on the brisket to eat, we just like a bit less than what we have gotten on the Golds, we have ordered. My BIL cooks his Golds non trimmed. Loves them and thinks I am crazy.

You will enjoy it, don't worry. Have fun.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    all of the SNF briskets have never let me down.  but I think I actually prefer the black slightly over the gold.  I know fat is flavor but there is so much in both that you have plenty.  they can be a tad rich.  but man they are tasty.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    It arrived yesterday. I was somewhat disappointed due to it only weighing 14.4lbs. This is the third one I have purchased from them and all of them have been near the minimum on weight. I decided to wait on cooking it until around Memorial Day. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @jeffc5227 - You may want to give strong consideration to cooking it for Thursday May 28th, 2020 as that is National Brisket Day.  Reminds me, I need to get a stand-alone thread up about that event.