Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Community And Friday Night Foruming

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Botch said:
    blind99 said:
    i filled my gas tank, around 2002, at an 'old fashioned' pump, with the mechanical dials that spun around.  i went in, had no cash, paid with a personal check, and the guy took my word that i told the truth about how much gas i pumped and that the check was good.  
    The ice cream shop adjacent to South Dakota State University (1981) had a small kiosk, with stacks of blank checks from all the local banks/credit unions.  Students could just grab one and fill it out to pay for their ice cream, if they were short on cash.
    A different world...
    I used to go to an Italian Restaurant and they’d bring out a big jug of wine and would just ask how many glasses you had at the end of the meal.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Bump as we now return to our regularly scheduled Zoom programming.

With the chairman's graces, the virtual watering hole (normal password) will be open this coming Friday at around 9 PM (EDT).  Plenty of seats available.  Hope to see you there.  If interested shoot me a PM and the password will be provided.  Worth the price of admission and top quality entertainment value.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    navy guys.... 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you might need a whats said and or done in the zoom room stays in the zoom room policy =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    But did give it a look!!  B)
  • thetrim
    Options
    I have a high level of appreciation for the Mom's dropping off their kids at elementary school right before yoga class.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Spandex beats gray sweat pants any day-a topic??
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Do we *have* to talk about moose knuckles in the next zoom?
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm down with a @thetrim recon debrief. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • thetrim
    Options
    It's kind of strange how my morning walks always put me in front of the elementary school between 0725 and 0730 everyday... Whether I do 2, 4, or 6, I'm always there during that five minute range.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @lousubcap

I seem to remember something about grey sweat pants....well, long story but 

https://youtu.be/HMUDVMiITOU
    Options
    Game on tonight!  Doors open around 9 PM.  As always, worth the price of admission.  The virtual watering hole is in compliance with any rules you choose to follow.  Your own personal bartender will be on site as well.  Drop in and check it out.   
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,084
    Options
    There’s a small chance I’ll still be around at 21:00 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina Any chance you can open the doors around 8:30 PM (EDT) to expand the window for @Stormbringer?  I will make sure to be available then even if he goes rogue and has other commitments.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina Any chance you can open the doors around 8:30 PM (EDT) to expand the window for @Stormbringer?  I will make sure to be available then even if he goes rogue and has other commitments.  
    Consider it done.  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Many thanks!
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    And it's on 

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Wife is taking everyone out of the house next weekend. Will probably jump on then. Look forward to it.
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Options
    It's now off...Many thanks to @JohnInCarolina for hosting once again.  The session was wide ranging and entertaining as always.  Thanks to all who participated. 
    My summary later today.  Comment cleanup will occur before any topic lists.  
  • thetrim
    Options
    Hope to get back on one of these Fridays!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,127
    Options
    Where is everyone?  It is only 1144.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Thanks again @lousubcap it was great to meet some new people. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Thanks again @lousubcap it was great to meet some new people. 

It was nice to meet you. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sorry I missed the fun last night folks, but I'm glad a good time was had by all as usual.  It must be the sage bartender ;)
  • lousubcap
    Options
    What follows are my sanitized notes from last night's session.  I may have missed a few topics and mangled others so feel free to correct.

Guest appearance by Winston (DMW's woofer)
    Covid discussions;
    -Trends in the UK and US
    - The availability of high end meats to consumers given restaurant closures
    - Managing students and schools in the UK and US
    - Boy Scouts and camping
    - How living in a mansion provides many social distancing options
    - Can anyone explain or make sense of the financial markets response during the pandemic
    - Managing HIPAA rules and meeting school vaccination requirements
    - Challenging standards for teachers given the multiple ways to reach students
    - Are we heading into a second wave or will we ever see the end of the first wave

BBQ/cooking related
    -Accessing St Louis trimmed ribs in the UK
    - When did you start cooking to temperature?
    - Boiling water on the BGE (we need a documentary)
    - Personal cook book library
    - The benefits of cooking for family in their setting
    - Source of chicken tenders
    - Pro's and con's of stick burners
    - Preferred composition of burger meat

Random conversation threads:
    Changing dynamics with communicating face-to-face vs virtual
    Spandex and sweat pants (yes, we went there!)
    Liquor and gambling laws across various states 
    Life as a rock star, playing and hitting the 3rd harmony notes
    Mastering a steel guitar (a challenge)
    Hurricane Delta
    Power seeding lawns and the right equipment
    Introduction to Sundrop and Cheerwine for many
    -"I figure drinking a Sundrop is better than a bidet."
    -"Cheerwine is better than anything you have ever had!"
    Bidet teaching moments
    - The benefits of a heated seat
    - "You've got to be comfortable with your hole."
    Zoom background shots
    The art of the sale; everything I needed to know about sales I learned hustling  discreet business deals in high school
    Smart decisions and the choices we make
    Bass fishing with Eric Montross
    Accessing the forum remotely
    The value of owning a custom van
    The Vietnam War and the draft 
    The value and benefits of the weekly Zoom sessions

That's all I've got for this week's session.  Same time next Friday.  Drop in and check it out.  No minimum time limit. You will likely learn something and enjoy the give and take.  Thanks again to @JohnInCarolina for producing.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sorry I missed the pros and cons of stick burners. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Sorry I missed the pros and cons of stick burners. 
    No worries as we did not uncover any new lessons to be learned but it was a good dialog.  Seems that topic pops up on a fairly routine basis.