Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just got a new large egg -newbie

Options
Greeting to all, i am a newbie, I got my first big green egg - large. What should be my first cook? What accessories do you recommend I purchase next. I came from the Weber Family

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Welcome. A steak at 550 degrees till medium rare

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Very prescient regarding first BGE.  
    I would give the search function here or Google with "big green egg" in the search field a work-out regarding first cook.  Your call on the cook.
    With accessories, play around with it before buying everything out there as you won't need nearly as much as you think.  If coming from Weber then you have the basic Q processes down.  Just a different way to get the outcome.  Quality instant read thermo and a means to cook indirect are about the initial minimum for me but others will be along. FWIW-
    This place can suck your wallet and CCs dry!  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The ceramic grill store is great.  Look for the smoke ware cap at another website.  I would not worry about getting a temp controller right away.  The egg maintains temps pretty easy with a little practice.  I have wasted a lot of money on pizza accessories that I don't use anymore because the XL egg just isn't great for pizza in my opinion.  Other more savvy eggers may disagree with me on that.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Welcome! Take your time before you start investing money into accessories. Wait and see what you actually need. It's easy to spend other people's money here. 

My suggestion would be to light the egg and to play around with the vent settings. Chicken is easy to start with and not expensive if something goes wrong. 

Stick around the forum and you will learn a ton. Ask away with any questions. Always someone here willing to help out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Welcome! Good advice to take your time buying accessories - figure out what you like/want to cook.

First cook? What would you normally cook? The egg is an oven/grill that runs on charcoal. Cook anything you would cook in an oven or on the grill. If you're looking for a suggestion - chicken breast, wings, spatchcock chicken, meatloaf - they are all winners.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    Welcome to the party pal!

After your BGE is broken in a little, I definitely suggest doing a pork butt for your first "low and slow".  They're very forgiving and very awesome on the BGE!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Good to have you aboard! This is an awesome resource. The guys here are glad to share and teach. Have fun!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Welcome.

Not quite an accessory: Rockwood lump.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Welcome, PS, WOO, electric element starter are some must haves imo accessories. Have fun!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Welcome to the mad house!  =)
    What's your location and maybe put it in your sig line, might be some eggheads close by
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited April 2020
    Options
    In my opinion you bought the best size. I have 5 BGES and two kamados of another brand and if I could only have one it would be the large. I  would suggest a thermo works smoke but don't buy a white one like I did. It gets dirty very quickly. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
     I like bright colored thermopens they are easier to see where you laid them down.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Nothing to add that hasnt already been said. Ceramic Grill store and a good instant read thermo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome. I wouldn't go into accessories too quickly other than a good instant read thermometer. You'll discover it's easier to judge doneness by temp rather than time. Anything you need to adjust the grid level can be accomplished with balls of foil or bricks. Easy to improvise! There's a TON of info out there on this site as well as YouTube that will help guide you along the way. 
    Enjoy the new toy! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Welcome, as others have stated an instant read thermometer is the tool you will use most frequently. As far as what to cook, hard to beat wings (can go direct or indirect). But let us know (pics) whichever you decide.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard. There’s lots of good advice above. Get an instant read thermometer if you don’t already have one. The BGE gives you remarkable control and when you combine that with cooking food to the appropriate temp most new egg owners see their cooking game improve significantly (think Thanksgiving turkey cooked on the egg to a breast meat temp of 160 and dark meat temp of 180 - vs how most people cook their turkeys in their ovens to meat temps of 190+).

Once you get things down on the BGE you’ll find that you’re a better cook on all cookers. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Welcome! 
    My top accessories...
    1) Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo thermometer 
    2)) Ceramic Grill Store PS Woo 
    3) Kick Ash basket 
    Favorite cooks
    reverse seared ribeye - 1.5 - 2” thick
    Wings - 350 raised direct
    Ribs and butts - 250-275 naked all the way 

Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Temp management on an egg is different than the Weber you have been using.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to fire up the egg and play with temp settings without any food.  Get a feel for the vent openings/temp. Change the settings and watch the changes (especially the delay).   The mass of ceramic you are heating causes a much slower temp response than the Weber you have been using.  Temp response to vent settings was the biggest change I had to get used when I first got my egg.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    Entering my third year with my large, and I've just now purchased a PSWoo and Smokeware cap. One cook with the Woo and I'm sold. But honestly nothing was essential once you have have the platesetter, so the thermometer  as others have suggested is probably a good tip. So just do as your budget allows.

I started slow with  cooking a spatchcocked chicken, then chicken wings and legs, then basic steaks. Once I was comfortable lighting the egg and with the basics of temp control so that I was looking to try out some different temps, I moved to beef and lamb ribs, and some tri-tips. Just received my first couple briskets yesterday, so it's been a steady but tasty journey to progressively more challenging cooks. The upside is I haven't had a bad one yet! Keeps you coming back for me.   
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
  • clewis59
    clewis59 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you, every one for the comment. my first cook was basic hamburgers and fruit cobbler. and the family loved it. I did not know that I was suppose to post picture (LOL).

my first after market purchase, I was thinking about getting the side shelves. but I will check the PSWoo (???). I will google it, so that I can get more information.

and I will have question later,  my next cook is going to be seafood and lamb?
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    Remember to sign up for the correspondence course to learn the secret dance. And always sing the Egg song when you light up. Works for me 👍🏻.  Welcome aboard, post pics because sharing is caring.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Welcome to the party!  You will get plenty of advice here, and questions are answered quickly.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Don't forget to "Burp" your egg at temps over 400º
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM