Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Giving Back

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
So I am blessed to have a good job in a critical infrastructure sector and am not financially impacted by this crisis. I know there are millions that don’t have that luxury, and I am extremely thankful for my situation. 

Because of that and the risks our healthcare workers are facing, we are feeding 200 meals to the staff at the local hospital. 

Nothing fancy, pulled pork, pineapple chipotle beans, cole slaw, and a roll. 

Checked with our local Health Dept and the food has to be individually boxed with individually wrapped utensils. 

12 pork butts with a Memphis style rub just hit the smoke. 

If you are in a position to do so, please look and see if you can help in your community - times are tough for many people and every little bit helps. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Very cool
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    That is a great gesture and incentive for others to do the same.  BZ to you and Ol' Mortimer!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome to see Mortimer back at work and THANK YOU for doing this!!!

I bet just seeing that beast smikin' along will bring a smile to many faces today!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Bravo!
    Stillwater, MN
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    Kudos to you!  Great idea!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Love this!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    A great way to give back and say thanks. Well done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thank you, Mike. That's all I have to say. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    CTMike said:
    So we just finished up. Fed ~ 175 meals to the hospital staff, 15 New London Fire Fighters, and gave some leftovers to friends. 

Great day all in all, and the staff were very appreciative for the food and the gesture. 
    That is awesome! I'm sure it was much appreciated by all.
    Stillwater, MN
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    You sir are a saint. I am sure that was well received. Good on ya mate.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    CTMike said:
    So we just finished up. Fed ~ 175 meals to the hospital staff, 15 New London Fire Fighters, and gave some leftovers to friends. 

Great day all in all, and the staff were very appreciative for the food and the gesture. 
    I cannot put words to how much reading this means to me.  Wow, just wow and even so much more.  (Being a nuke there are 20 words before the parentheses so I missed the mark but da-m, talking about making a difference. Congrats-and that word is not strong enough!)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice job Mike. Our food banks where I live are struggling. Will be continuing to support them. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Not trying to hi-jack, but maybe others will post some give-back info.  Smoked 8, 2.5 chubs of baloney to give to family and friends.  Usually do this during Thanksgiving/Christmas when everyone is tired of  turkey and ham.  After realizing that that doesn't cover everyone that I would like, planning another cook.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You are a good man, Mike.  We need more empathy and charity in this new world.
    Options
    I paid my barber for eight haircuts in advance

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    nice work  - I as well am in the infrastructure world.  We are doing a PPE drive this Friday for companies to drop off any approved PPE that we can then give to the local clinics.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE