Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone else getting the new mobile version of the forum?

Options

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited March 2020
    Options
    A dark theme would be cool to see.  
    I would also like the highlighting of new posts on threads you have opened/read like the original version had would be nice as well. It should be a simple update to the css to do. 

Since it seems like the original version is never coming back, I will say that this version at the time of this post, to me, is 100% better than what it was yesterday. Seems like it is still changing too. Interested to see where this goes....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 459
    Options
    caliking said:
    I wanted to say thank you for bringing this to our attention. It looks like vanilla forums is rolling out some changes that have affected the way the mobile site looks. This is only temporary and will be fixed in the coming days. For those that feel the need to be negative instead of helpful, please take it somewhere else. We’d all appreciate it. 
    Thanks!
    You may have noted that the majority of the responses above essentially say "This sucks!!". For good reason.

1. Its harder to read on a mobile device because of the spacing, colors, etc.

2. Need a couple of clicks to see if I have notifications or new messages in my inbox

3. As I said before... its not even green.

But its a free forum, so my griping about stuff here may be pointless. 

Saying it sucks or "essentially" saying it sucks is totally different than asking or pointing out changes you would like to see here on the forum. 
    As I said, "For those that feel the need to be negative instead of helpful, please take it somewhere else."
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Call Bruce! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    I wanted to say thank you for bringing this to our attention. It looks like vanilla forums is rolling out some changes that have affected the way the mobile site looks. This is only temporary and will be fixed in the coming days. For those that feel the need to be negative instead of helpful, please take it somewhere else. We’d all appreciate it. 
    Thanks!
    You may have noted that the majority of the responses above essentially say "This sucks!!". For good reason.

2. Need a couple of clicks to see if I have notifications or new messages in my inbox

Saying it sucks or "essentially" saying it sucks is totally different than asking or pointing out changes you would like to see here on the forum. 
    As I said, "For those that feel the need to be negative instead of helpful, please take it somewhere else."
     Point taken, and agreed.

My point was, how come that one post, out of so many "negative" ones, was the one that raised your ire? 

The mobile version does make more sense tonight though vs. what it looked like yesterday. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options

caliking said:
    Thanks!

I herd it used to be friendlier here.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Hey @The_Buffalo are you going to make anymore of those sweet videos while on break from the office?  Maybe some grill cleaning tips to keep the virus away?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    I didn’t know we had the ear of the @The_Buffalo how about uncovering the “disagree” “off Topic” “flag” users. Is there a reason that their identities were masked to begin with?  I personally believe their anonymity breeds animosity.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I didn’t know we had the ear of the @The_Buffalo how about uncovering the “disagree” “off Topic” “flag” users. Is there a reason that their identities were masked to begin with?  I personally believe their anonymity breeds animosity.
    Maybe The Buff One is the prolific and notorious flagger and he wishes to maintain his cover of darkness. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    How do you find your old private messages on the new format?
    Found my notifications bar etc....but for some reason I can't locate old messages
  • caliking
    Options
    While we're on the subject, please bring back

- the "home" button
    - post counts
    - most recent member to post in the thread (viewed on the main page)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    caliking said:

- the "home" button
    - post counts
    Also, bring back our ability to see who flagged and/or disagreed with comments.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Thanks!
    So Vanilla does this sort of thing without telling you folks who pay to use their platform?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    DMW said:
    caliking said:

- the "home" button
    - post counts
    Also, bring back our ability to see who flagged and/or disagreed with comments.
    I wasn't aware that the disagree'ers aren't visible now. 

I'll be right back...

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hey @The_Buffalo are you going to make anymore of those sweet videos while on break from the office?  Maybe some grill cleaning tips to keep the virus away?
    You Texas Sunshine pumper you! ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 459
    Options
    Thanks!
    So Vanilla does this sort of thing without telling you folks who pay to use their platform?
    Apparently yes...because I didn't change a thing on the backend and this isn't the first time its happened. Do you guys think I make this changes because I like hearing you guys complain :-) 
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Actually, other than the header at the top, I think it has better functionality...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Thanks!
    Apparently yes...because I didn't change a thing on the backend and this isn't the first time its happened. Do you guys think I make this changes because I like hearing you guys complain :-) 
    Many are a bit stressed these days. We should all take a step back and realize that we need each other forum, participants etc. as we need this community to maintain some sanity....though I have never had much of that even in good times. Thanks @The_Buffalo and I think that communicating (both ways) is important. Have a Grateful Day and by all means ......
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Actually, other than the header at the top, I think it has better functionality...
    Functionality is fine, if we could just add the home button back to the bottom of the page. That would make a world of difference. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I think those buttons should just be removed completely (on Desktop and Mobile). I would just keep the Like and Quote. 

Even before they were anonymous I think they breed animosity. It is also way to easy to accidentally fat-finger a "Disagree" or "Off-topic" while scrolling. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

WHOEVER DISAGREED WITH MY PREVIOUS COMMENT...

...well played. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Thanks!
    It seems you are the moderator of the forum and possibly also webmaster.  If indeed the later, you might consider who Vanilla considers to be the customer.
    They are in the midst of an apparent zero downtime upgrade, with changes being implemented incrementally.  All well and good except you, or the webmaster, were not notified.  Perhaps not so good there.

On the feedback side, put me in the camp that thinks persons marking posts as "disagree" or flagging posts should be visable for all to see.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Thanks!
    Not me.  I tend to refer to Hanlon's razor to explain these sorts of things.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks!
    Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways, including: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Probably named after a Robert J. Hanlon, it is a philosophical razor which suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior.
    Options
    Hanlon's razor 
    Switch to the Muhle R41 and you will be much happier my shaggy friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Can't flag the buffalo.  haha
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Check you balls @thetrim it looks like you signed Brady
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yes, sir!  That contract already paid for itself with the increase in season tickets. 

I hope I can still do the pre-game National anthems this season.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Thanks!
    Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways, including: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Probably named after a Robert J. Hanlon, it is a philosophical razor which suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior.
    Isn’t that Occam’s Razor? Given many explanations the simplest is the most likely?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Call Bruce! 
    Is this THE @tarheelmatt the famous Blackstone youtuber?  Your account is unlocked?   Welcome back! 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Call Bruce! 
    Is this THE @tarheelmatt the famous Blackstone youtuber?  Your account is unlocked?   Welcome back! 

I am here friend. I don’t know about famous or the YouTuber thing though. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site