Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fraudulent Honey May Be Prevalent In The US

Options
For those interested, this rather lenghty investigative article uncovered disturbing practices that seem to be occurring with regularity here.....
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    It makes me angry to see this kind of thing happening... China in particular needs to get the cold shoulder.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Bees deposit the nectar in the hives = honey. It's easy to 'feed' bees sugar and that becomes the 'honey'.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    "Fraudulent Honey" WBAGNFARB.   B)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I have heard of this I think some show on Netflix (Rotten ?).    I try to only buy local, or Canada in the winter.    Not sure if true, but have read (on the internet so must be true) that local honey helps your system with allergies. 
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I have heard of this I think some show on Netflix (Rotten ?).    I try to only buy local, or Canada in the winter.    Not sure if true, but have read (on the internet so must be true) that local honey helps your system with allergies. 

The thought is that local bees use the nectar and pollen to make their honey from plants, grasses, trees, and flowers in your area that you may be allergic to. They say eating honey made from the pollen that you are allergic to acts similar to an allergy shot by giving you small doses of the allergens for your body to build immunity over time.

I don't know that the science lines up but that's why people say local honey helps with allergies.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have local honey from a town 9 miles away   :)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I'm happy that my FIL has kept bees for 50 years or more. Real honey is a non issue for us..
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    This is one of the reasons I started raising my own bees last year.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Dude that's awesome. How is it going?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Very sad. 
    I see one more popular kinds of honey on the market is on the list as being adulterated.
    The Tenessee Sour Wood honey is actually made with honey from Vietnam and is also cut with other syrup. (This was considered premium honey)
    There is nothing sacred in this world if somebody can find a way to make more money by cheating the consumer.   
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    GregW said:
    Very sad. 
    I see one more popular kinds of honey on the market is on the list as being adulterated.
    The Tenessee Sour Wood honey is actually made with honey from Vietnam and is also cut with other syrup. (This was considered premium honey)
    There is nothing sacred in this world if somebody can find a way to make more money by cheating the consumer.   
    That is the sad truth.  No pride in a product, it is all about the Benjamin.  Then good producers get put out of business because all the cheaters.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Buy local honey for no other reason than to support your local beekeepers. There is really no money in sideliner or hobby beekeeping. Most of us do it to help bees!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    CTMike said:
    Dude that's awesome. How is it going?

Good so far, they seem to have made it through the winter so that is a good sign.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    rifrench said:
    It makes me angry to see this kind of thing happening... China in particular needs to get the cold shoulder.

No doubt China is involved in a lot of fraudulent products (ag/non-ag) but should they be singled out when the article reports on a US company that specifically claims their honey is pure from Tennessee when, in fact, it has stuff from Vietnam in it?
    This problem with honey has been going on for decades and is just like the problem with extra virgin olive oil - whenever demand exceeds legitimate supply human greed finds a way to enter and cheat the game.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    There is enough supply. People don’t want to pay for it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    honestly the general public doesn’t buy honey or couldn’t give a hoot about it.  The other day I was telling a millennial that I was tapping trees for maple syrup and he was completely confused and floored that maple syrup actually came from trees.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited March 2020
    Options
    honestly the general public doesn’t buy honey or couldn’t give a hoot about it.  The other day I was telling a millennial that I was tapping trees for maple syrup and he was completely confused and floored that maple syrup actually came from trees.
    Don’t feel bad for the millennials, they think the same thing about you when you have 11 Facebook accounts because you keep forgetting your password. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Don’t feel bad for them, they think the same thing about you when you have 11 Facebook accounts because you keep forgetting your password. 
    That is a interesting thought to ponder... what is a question that only a millennial could answer?
        Full disclosure by some calculations I am a millennial however I do not identify as one and growing up in Alaska definitely put me a few years behind socially so I think we’re ok there.
      I have only ever facebooked for profit and honesty if you figured out my password it would open many doors.... 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    Options
    Don’t feel bad for them, they think the same thing about you when you have 11 Facebook accounts because you keep forgetting your password. 
    That is a interesting thought to ponder... what is a question that only a millennial could answer?
        Full disclosure by some calculations I am a millennial however I do not identify as one and growing up in Alaska definitely put me a few years behind socially so I think we’re ok there.
      I have only ever facebooked for profit and honesty if you figured out my password it would open many doors.... 

I'd bet that a significant percentage of people in the older generations that were not raised in the northern climes where tapping trees is a thing would be just as surprised as your millennial to know that maple syrup is "tree juice".
    Never underestimate the general ignorance of the general public regardless of age.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Years ago, I found a large patch of wild strawberries within walking distance of home. As I was walking down the street, one of a group of kids, seeing me w. a bucket, asked where I was going.

"To the woods, to pick strawberries."

"No you're mot. Strawberries don't come from woods. Everyone knows they come from the store."

Sigh

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    My brother and I were enjoying a peaceful fishing float down a local river here last summer. About a hour into it a class of 7-8 graders from Cincinnati splashed through... anyways, several times they asked if the bait caster my brother was tossing was a fish.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited March 2020
    Options
    my sister thought deer eat rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, etc. because how could they grow so big from just eating plants?!! (she was in high school!)
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I hope she’s pretty 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Never underestimate the general ignorance of the general public regardless of age.
    Truer words have never been spoken. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    my sister thought deer eat rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, etc. because how could they grow so big from just eating plants?!! (she was in high school!)

She wasn't completely wrong.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I use a lot of honey in my sauces and in my cooks. I have a local supplier, 5 blocks away that has it for sale in the spring and summer. I have used his product primarily, and occasionally I will need more, and get it from the store. 2 completely different profiles in flavor. Local is the best. Not even close.

Thank you for posting this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • alaskanassasin
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I am looking forward to this season, A local Meadery in Columbus is interested in buying our honey for a small batch mead. 
     Last year I did about 1,000 pounds of honey and probably could have harvested another 500 but I did not really have the market for that quantity.   They made a 1 gallon batch and loved it so hopefully we can work something out. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I wish I had someone is South Georgia I could leverage for fresh honey. As with @YukonRon , my FWB Sauce is made with two cups of the stuff.

I love Honey (and maple syrup)..

side bar, i saw a documentary about maple syrup a few months ago..

apparently, there are gangsters in the maple industry...  
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    There is quiet a bit of shenanigans taking place during the almond pollination in Cali too, people steal whole truckloads of other people’s hives.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.