Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - greetings from Singer Island...

Options
Getting some Florida sunshine...ahhhh...

Cheers!

Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nothing better than mid winter in the sunshine state. Hope you are having a blast.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Back at ya John. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Is it winter? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Is it winter? 
    Not here my friend. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Shorts and flips today in the midlands of SC. About to be winter next week they say. I’ll take the shorts anytime I can during the Dec - March time frame. Enjoy the sand.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    38 and 35 mph wind gusts at home right now.

Hey, there is a bbq theme...

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

Ah that brings back sweet memories! We vacationed for years on Rivera Beach on Singer Island. We watched several high rise condos being constructed in the ‘70s & ‘80’s. Then we never went back for this reason or that. Then an egger who was a real estate agent on Singer Island came on to the forum. I asked him about this and that and if this or that restaurant was still in business. Much to my surprise/dismay all the restaurants we frequented there were gone and many of the condos had been torn down during that collapse of that FL boom. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @RRP I lived in WPB 1982-92, had only been back once - a whirlwind 24 hours back in ‘96.  This is a bit of a homecoming for me.  My wife and I met 30 years ago when she landed in the office next to me in Palm Beach (pretty much the corner of Worth and County...) - I was that helpful guy in the office nextdoor...  Somehow, it worked!  30 years later we’re here with our daughter (halfway through junior year of college).  Getting together with old friends the next couple days.

Singer Island has changed a lot - it’s bristling with highrises now.  I walked down to the old mall/shopping center- 5 or 6 restaurants there, all looking like they’re doing well.  Alas, most of our favorites from back-in-the-day are gone (Pronti’s, Procters, Charlie’s Crab), with the help of my buddies, we’ll be ok.  Used to hit Sailfush Marina for grilled dolphin lunch - gonna do that.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:

Ah that brings back sweet memories! We vacationed for years on Rivera Beach on Singer Island. We watched several high rise condos being constructed in the ‘70s & ‘80’s. Then we never went back for this reason or that. Then an egger who was a real estate agent on Singer Island came on to the forum. I asked him about this and that and if this or that restaurant was still in business. Much to my surprise/dismay all the restaurants we frequented there were gone and many of the condos had been torn down during that collapse of that FL boom. 
    Sad story, Ron.  I bet a lot of people died during that same period.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - Are you just wired for the Debbie Downer post... B)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - Are you just wired for the Debbie Downer post... B)

For sure I'm always spoiling the party Frank!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Cheers!

Beautiful view. However, I can’t help noticing that you allude to getting the “Florida sunshine” while seemingly having taken your photo from the shade. 😉 Either way, I’d take it over the mounds of snow I’ve got here. 
  • JohnEggGio
    edited January 2020
    Options

Cheers!

Beautiful view. However, I can’t help noticing that you allude to getting the “Florida sunshine” while seemingly having taken your photo from the shade. 😉 Either way, I’d take it over the mounds of snow I’ve got here. 
    Good eye.  100%, when my wife made the reservation, I told her “south side of the building”, since they had nothing fronting on the ocean.  Of course we get here and all that’s available is north side...  Kinda bummed that we can’t see sunrise (or sunset), but  it’s a beautiful room, in a beautiful place - which makes me a very fortunate guy.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I moved to WPB at 6 months old back in 1957, lived in Palm Beach County until 2012. Singer Island was a great place to take a date and sneak out on the beach late nights at the Colonnades Hotel. Certainly has changed, enjoy your stay in Palm Beach County.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim. Dinner in Jupiter tomorrow.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    We are no longer in Jupiter, spend the winters in Okeechobee.
    Have some friends in Jupiter that speak Very highly of Hog Snappers on US 1.
    Park Ave BBQ was sold and new owners have ruined it! 
    Haven't been to Jetty's (on the water) in a few years but have never been disappointed there.
    Guanabanas Restaurant is also very nice (on the water).
    Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    Thanks @Jupiter Jim for the recommendations - much appreciated.  You’re obviously a man who prefers peace and quiet.  It’s been many years since I’ve been to Okeechobee, but I doubt that much has changed, unlike along the coast.  We’re all about fresh seafood on this trip (and conch fritters).

Cheers!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think Singer Island is as East as you can get in our great State.  Have a great visit.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I think Singer Island is as East as you can get in our great State.  Have a great visit.
    I think you’re correct.  It’s a blustery day, but back in Maryland they have the same wind and it’s 50 degrees cooler.  I’m happy.

Nice lunch of mahi fingers and conch fritters at Sailfish Marina.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    There is an amazing restaurant about 15 minutes from you.  It's called Captain Charlie's Reef grill in Juno Beach.  Absolutely great, chill, casual spot.   If you have a rental or don't mind the uber, it's worth the trip.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @thetrim. Thanks!  Will check into it.  Meeting friends at 1000 North, in Jupiter, tonight.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Been a very long time since we ate at Captain Charlie's but never had a bad meal there!
    Yes Okeechobee is not changed much but we love out here.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Is Swinger Island family friendly? 
    Options
    Well, at the north end, getting up to John D MacArthur Park, there was a  “clothing optional” beach - back when...  Look it up in your Swingers Club member’s benefits index...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Had drinks here...

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    The Breakers on Palm Beach?

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    The Breakers on Palm Beach?
    Yes.  Beautiful oceanfront bar The Seafood Bar.  Definitely a premium experience, but if you’re in the mood to splurge, hard to imagine a finer spot.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE