Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control-top or bottom vent

Options
I have always controlled the temp by leaving the bottom vent wide open and adjusting the Daisy wheel. Doing some chicken breast tonight and thought I would try it the other way around to see how I liked it. Which way do you do it and why. I just started out adjusting the top and stayed that way is my excuse.

Comments

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I do some random mix of both  which works for me. I’d say more bottom than top for lower temp cooks. Mess more with the top on 300 and above.  Interested in following this thread ....
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I always think of it this way.  The bottom vent is "coarse" adjustment and the daisy wheel is "fine" adjustment.  I adjust the bottom vent to change 25-100 degrees at a time. I fiddle with the daisy wheel to adjust 5-25 degrees.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use both, makes your temp more stable if you have wind blowing around your egg.  Fine adjustments usually with the SmokeWare cap.
    I would say I grill the most in my cooks.  I tend to keep the bottom open 1 inch, and control the cook with the reggulator.  Pre reggulators, I would control exclusively with the bottom vent and rarely had anything on the top vent.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Both. For a low and slow, the bottom is open 1/8” and the DW is open a crack. 275* all day long. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Experience has led to being able to set my bottom vent to get me +- 50* of my target temp. I then use the top vent to dial it in
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It's largely about air flow.  So in principle either will work just fine, and it's mostly a matter of convenience.  But you definitely don't need both (although Nola makes a good point about being mindful of the wind).  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I use equal amounts top and bottom.  I always use the slider portion of the top never the daisy wheel.  Just me.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always left the bottom wide open and used only the top. Easier to only have to remember the settings on one side. 
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I use both. That being said, gasket condition may dictate who is using what and how much...
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I remove smokeware cap for anything above 300 and control with bottom.  

For lower temp I put smokeware cap on and use both bottom and top to get desired temp.... still mainly controlling with bottom. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • chucktee
    Options
    I use both together, but I pay the most attention to the vent at the bottom.
    Huntsville, AL
    LBGE -- KAB -- PSWoo and extender -- and a nice pair of tongs
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    For years I set the DW petals-open, and controlled with the bottom, for anything 250 and below; took the DW off and controlled with the bottom, for anything higher.
    Since getting my Smobot, I set the bottom at 1/2 open and press a couple buttons.  Haven't done a pizza since; if I do I'll open the bottom all the way.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Only time I roll without a cap is for pizza. Never really put much thought into it, just open the bottom a little and same for the top until my temp is dialed. Biggest thing for me is to not leave it wide open too long when getting to temp to avoid overshooting.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When I grill, I close the bottom all the way and leave the lid open.
    Options
    Bottom for 10+ degree increments and Daisy wheel for fine tuning under that. For low and slows, both are barely cracked. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use the Force.

Just kidding.

Use both, to get it dialed in. The bottom vent is primary.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky