Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THIS AIN'T FOR THE FAINT HEARTED ! TEARS TO SAY THE LEAST! Read me.

Options
THIS POST CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT AND ISN'T FOR THE FAINT HEARTED !!!

First off this is not an attack or meant to sound negative, however don't be the same victim I have become.

Everyone on this site either has a Kamado cooker grill they love, wish they had, or miss because they can not use it.
Those of us that absolutely swore by it tend to be a little out spoken, pokes out our chest when we talk about it, and tend to talk about it too much.  All of those are me, and how I felt about my large BGE.

Now my story, my Large Big Green Egg is not that old.  It sat in the "nest" wheel base like most.  I am in the process of building a stamped patio, and outdoor kitchen.  I live in Ohio where the weather is fore ever changing.  Because of my build I had the BGE, the patio tables, the out door propane heater, lawn chair bases etc all bunched up and pressed against the house as a wall fortress if you will.  The BGE and heater were in the middle of the pack.  The heater had a full propane tank and 3 wall paver stones inside it for EXTRA SECURITY,

If you have a BGE and you have a NEST wheel base unit PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION.

The wind picked up around here.  Didn't sound any different than any other wind day.  But the wind, not a tornado or anything near that level, decided to redecorate my patio.  The "NEST" wheels prior to the CURRENT MODEL do not I REPEAT DO NOT have wheel locks.  At several hundred pounds you probably didn't even consider them.  Me, being pro active boxing everything in, didn't consider it.

WELL, the wind threw the chairs, patio tables, and other items all over the place, flipped the patio heater, breaking the glass, I just fixed the week before, flipped over some wall stones onto my new patio, and YES DAG GONE IT YES....

THE WIND TOOK MY BGE ACROSS HALF THE PATIO AND THREW IT INTO THE NEIGHBORS YARD!  literately causing more damage than I could even stomach to look at.  SEE PHOTOS.  I was to nervous to go look at it.  If your like me TEARS!

MORE INFO BELOW PHOTOS! 

So, I had just bought the Rotisserie unit.  The plate setter broke, the pizza stone broke, the dome sheered off the metal bad, the metal bands are bent, the wooden table trays are totaled, the fire box cracked, not bad but cracked, the main body unit chipped in the back.  The Nest assembly bent. 

So after gathering a long amount of prayer, and reflection, I decided to step over my feelings and begin to asses the damage.  I get sorta excited when I remembered all those BGE videos.  Lifetime warranty.  I had a little pep in my life.  maybe I might have to buy some parts but not the whole thing.

I will take my hat off to Kamado Joe they replaced all the accessories I had with them that broke because I registered them.  Now for a small note when I bought my BGE, nest and all accessory kit, I bought two of them, because I bought my dad one of everything as well.  I also made sure both were registered.

So I contact my local dealer, great group of people with a huge inventory of BGE items, and I contact BGE.  They pretty much washed their hands with the whole thing.  Even though the NEST wasn't designed to lock, they will not cover not one aspect of their lifetime warranty.  Not the Dome, Not the Body, Not the fire box, NOT EVEN THE PIZZA STONE!

So be mindful if your NEST doesn't lock, or you did what you could, the warranty isn't what they say it is.  Any way THIS IS MORE FOR EDUCATION OF DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!.   sadly I am down to just needing countertop and my outdoor kitchen was done.  SMH.

I became an expert of finding the actual manufactor's of ceramic cooker grills, factory contacts, and how many variables there actually are out there.  New models have the pizza door built in the front.  Hmmmmmm  thanks for reading, Ima try CPR and see where I end up.

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sunday before last?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    That is why I plan to order the Cuni cart from the Ceramic Grill Store when I upgrade to a large . Sure it isn’t precisely cheap but it is cheaper than buying a table or a table saw etc and procrastinating on building a table. Come hurricane season I’ll roll it into my detached garage.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Your homeowners insurance is the proper course. Paaaleeese! 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I recommend putting sugar gliders in your shirt and taking some pictures.  It may sound weird, but trust me.
    Beat me to it.  Dammit. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Try some meat swinging gifs.  
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2020
    Options
    yep sunday before last, columbus.  devastating is an understatement, next day winds peeled up the storm door ripping the hinge side out.  

Columbus, Ohio
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    yep sunday before last, columbus.  devastating is an understatement, next day winds peeled up the storm door ripping the hinge side out.  

nah, it’s just right.  there’s really no other word for it.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    true.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I am sorry that happened to you, but it is not BGE's fault. Yes, nests without locking wheels suck. One of my eggs is in a nest that does not have locking wheels. I went to the big box store and bought some. 
    We bought an egg for someone that lives in another state, this was also before the nests had locking wheels. I call the out of state egg dealer, which is a hardware store. Sadly, he was the only egg (or ceramic cooker) dealer in that area. I am talking to the owner of the store, tell him I need a large egg, nest, plate setter (this was before CGS, or at least my knowledge of them) ash tool, etc. Also, I order locking wheels, and tell them I will pay him to install them. He says no, he can't do that. I ask him why, he won't give me an answer, just says that he can't do that. I told him that if he was like some other egg dealers that sell pools, or patio furniture, I would not have asked him. Then I asked him "you do sell the type of wheels I need at the hardware store, correct?" He says that he does. So I tell him that I really do not want to drive 6 hours to deliver an egg, but if a hardware store owner can't be bothered to sell and mount locking wheels on a nest, that is what I will do. The dipwad relented. 
  • jdMyers
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I agree and wasnt blaming anyone.  Im salty they couldnt honor the warranty sure, Im more wanting folks to learn from it, so they dont have to experience it.  After 8 maybe 10 years cant remember, I never saw this coming.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    I agree and wasnt blaming anyone.  Im salty they couldnt honor the warranty sure, Im more wanting folks to learn from it, so they dont have to experience it.  After 8 maybe 10 years cant remember, I never saw this coming.  
    If the wind blows a tree branch on your new truck, you ain’t getting fixed through your truck warranty. 😂
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    When you expect heavy winds, take off that cover, they catch much more wind than the egg alone.
    Hopefully someone will link to the "devastated" thread. That was an extremely funny thread.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Two words: Costco.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • jdMyers
    Options
    all are correct.  Im not mad in anyway.  I was just hopeful.  Either way I hope someone else learns from all this and we dont see another episode of it.  Defiantly wish I finished the kitchen, then everything wouldn't have been jammed inside for storage.  lol  and thanks for the photos LSU, made me smile
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
    my last cook tho was very memorable......

Columbus, Ohio
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. BGE is not an insurance company, luckily your home is insured, and you can file a claim for a new egg. Get back to cooking!
  • jdMyers
    Options
    already building the perfect space for it, will def be back to it before winter is over. 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    edited January 2020
    Options
    i'd buy some new bands and put it back together.  my firebox cracked, as has my fire ring.  

seems like there's a big "ask" in here.  people on the forums will mention that their egg has a crack or a chip and they say "warranty" it.  Well, read the warranty.  It doesn't cover cosmetic stuff, acts of god, etc.  It's pretty typical and fair.  If the issue is related to manufacturing, they'll replace it... generally speaking.  but the egg didn't tip over because of a manufacturing failure.  even if the wheels don't lock.  get some blocks of wood.

It sounds like you just need a new nest and bands.  Maybe a couple internal pieces.  The chips will remind you of other times, but life goes on man.  Send it.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Actually the dome portion that fits into the ring sheered off quite abit.  Im going to rebuild it. 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    edited January 2020
    Options
    well you can buy a new dome.  did you price one?   If it's not structurally sound, I don't know if i'd send it.

what's "quite abit".  Aesthetic issues or did you cleave off a large section?

And homeowners or renters insurance is where you want to file a claim.  You at least need to loop them in since they're insuring all of your possessions and you had a loss.

I mean I didn't call my builder when I had a flood (my own fault) upstairs and ask them to replace my flooring.  I called my insurance company and they paid.  Headache?  yes.  but that's exactly why I have insurance.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Damn.  Another victim of climate change
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They should just randomly replace acts of God devastation.   Keep people guessing why they occasionally over-ride the policy.

Is it for good PR?

Maybe you have a nice rack with some rodent creature living in it?

Or you have sold a bunch of their product through your influence? 

Who really knows, right?

They could offer accident insurance....that might be a good value added revenue stream.  Their cost on this stuff is way less than an insurance replacement and they can run the numbers....you're welcome buffalo 
    Options
    They should just randomly replace acts of God devastation.   Keep people guessing why they occasionally over-ride the policy.

Is it for good PR?

Maybe you have a nice rack with some rodent creature living in it?

Or you have sold a bunch of their product through your influence? 

Who really knows, right?

They could offer accident insurance....that might be a good value added revenue stream.  Their cost on this stuff is way less than an insurance replacement and they can run the numbers....you're welcome buffalo 
    Accident insurance?  You sure bro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSdYzCTS2A
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Reach out to JK Simmons. He'll probably totally hook you up.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Two words: Costco.

Try that again. 🙂
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Don't overlook the possibility that there was some sasquatch activity going on that caused this.  Might be a good idea to have a Squatch expert out for an opinion.