Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork, wings, lasagna, steak, spatchcock, and salmon

Options
wardo
wardo Posts: 398
edited January 2020 in EggHead Forum
We recently welcomed a new little egger into the world so I've had the opportunity to run the egg almost constantly for many days now.  My lawn is loving the ash and wallet is hating the regularity I'm going through bags of lump lol.  Anyways here are some of the cooks I've done over the last several days:

Simple turbo butt
Leftovers of course make a great pulled pork pizza

And wings(little over done🙁)
This one was pretty awesome, a lasagna
Traditional NYE steak n potatoes dinner:

This was my first time trying the reverse sear.  I loved it.
Spatchcock chicken and bacon wrapped mushrooms

And a plain ole salmon filet on a salad

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year!
NC - LBGE

Comments

• BigGreenEggTampa
    Options
    Everything looks soo everything looks so good. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    congrats! Nice spread. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    An impressive run of goodness, right there!
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nice week of cooking!!   Congrats on the addition!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks like a solid run of good eats to me. I’m sure you enjoyed cooking and the family enjoyed the results. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • wardo
    Options
    I think I really need to consider getting a small or a minimax at some point. I do love cooking on this thing.  But I feel bad lighting it up for small meals.

Great example is tonight.  Mrs wants burgers so no problem, but they don't take long at all and we aren't eating 8 of em so the large seems like kind of a lot of egg.  So to compensate for my insecurity I'm going to take some of the leftover ingredients and seasonings and make another lasagna and freeze it for her/us.

My thought is that a small or MM would be great for a few burgers and be a lot more efficient as far as lump being burnt.

What do y'all think?
    NC - LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @wardo
    For sheer greatness my friend 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• wardo
    Options
    @sgh thank you!  Quite humbled!  Everyone of these cooks has been sourced in some or all (mostly all) from this forum.  I hope to be able to contribute as much as I've learned as time goes on.
    NC - LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    That is quite a run right there.  Gerat results.
    Congrats on the little egger-a life changing event for sure.
    Regarding another BGE-there are multitudes of threads on that topic.  When you aren't cooking up goodness give the search function here a look.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    wardo said:
    I think I really need to consider getting a small or a minimax at some point. I do love cooking on this thing.  But I feel bad lighting it up for small meals.

What do y'all think?
    I mentioned on another thread recently that I bought a Small before I did a break-even analysis, and it would've paid for itself in saved lump when I hit 168 years old!
    You've just done more incredible cooks in one week than I do all summer, so you may be much more justified.   ;)  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    You are killing it!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Those are some really great looking cooks.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    wardo said:

Great example is tonight.  Mrs wants burgers so no problem, but they don't take long at all and we aren't eating 8 of em so the large seems like kind of a lot of egg.  So to compensate for my insecurity I'm going to take some of the leftover ingredients and seasonings and make another lasagna and freeze it for her/us.

My thought is that a small or MM would be great for a few burgers and be a lot more efficient as far as lump being burnt.

What do y'all think?

I bought an XL for my 1st BGE. I added a Mini Max for the reasons you stated and its great! Still use the XL too so having both is the best!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • wardo
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    wardo said:

What do y'all think?

I bought an XL for my 1st BGE. I added a Mini Max for the reasons you stated and its great! Still use the XL too so having both is the best!
    I'm debating between a MM and Small.  They appear to have the same cooking area but their dimensions are quite different.

Do you ever travel with your MM?  I'd like to think that I would if I got one 😁
    NC - LBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    wardo said:
    Matt86m said:
    wardo said:

What do y'all think?

I'm debating between a MM and Small.  They appear to have the same cooking area but their dimensions are quite different.

There are better options if you're going to use it frequently for traveling. Manageable for a weekend getaway if needed. Awful for short outings or tailgating in my opinion. Just for the fact that they retain heat and stay hot for a long period of time and can be a hassle. Hard to beat a Weber Jumbo Joe for tailgating. You can lift it with one hand and pack it away in minutes. 

I believe the MiniMax and the Small are 6-7 pounds difference between the two. The Minimax cooks similar to the Mini and the Small cooks like it's bigger siblings. (Keep that in mind as I'd imagine most cooks will be at home) I love my Small and even like my Mini but they stay home for 98% of the time when tailgating weekly during the summer. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Very nice spread.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • wardo
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    wardo said:
    Matt86m said:
    wardo said:

What do y'all think?

There are better options if you're going to use it frequently for traveling. Manageable for a weekend getaway if needed. Awful for short outings or tailgating in my opinion. Just for the fact that they retain heat and stay hot for a long period of time and can be a hassle. Hard to beat a Weber Jumbo Joe for tailgating. You can lift it with one hand and pack it away in minutes. 

I believe the MiniMax and the Small are 6-7 pounds difference between the two. The Minimax cooks similar to the Mini and the Small cooks like it's bigger siblings. (Keep that in mind as I'd imagine most cooks will be at home) I love my Small and even like my Mini but they stay home for 98% of the time when tailgating weekly during the summer. 

Thanks for the feedback, this is very helpful!  Gonna have to noodle on this while my brisket point from this morning keeps plugging along!

NC - LBGE
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Excellent, thank you for sharing!  I love my Large/Small combo.  No traveling with these two..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • wardo
    Options
    @smbishop since you have both, how do you like the small?  I'm kinda leaning towards it over the MM.  Seems like it might be easier to use since I'm used to the Large
    NC - LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @wardo - I also have a L & S BGE setup.  It is a great pairing but I had no plans for mobility with the SBGE.  I cannot compare with the MM as I don't own one.  Give the search function a look as there are many threads (broken record here) about a second BGE across the size perspective.
    Now, if you truly want portability then I would look at Weber rigs.  You aren't gaining much weight-wise (as noted above with the MM) and when not being mobile the SBGE is a true hacker.  Can easily run 9-10 hrs on one lump load and smoke a pork butt.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great looking food!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va