Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grandmothers Kitchen Cup hard .

Options
tI spent a good bit of my youth with my grandmother.  I grew up with this in her kitchen.  When she passed YEARS ago we saved it and did a refinish.  It has sat in our kitchen for the better part of 30 years.  Yesterday I was cleaning out things and found this.
Every Saturday the family would gather together and grill at grandmas .  Just an old Western Auto grill, but that's what started my love of food I think.  In any case I can barely remember the lady folk making burgers with this press.  The original smash burger?  I thought it was a very nice walk down memory lane that I would share. I really couldn't began to guess the age.  
thanks for looking. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Very nice! My aunt and uncle have a Hoosier cabinet too, which belonged to my aunt’s mother. I want to say it’s around 90 years old. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Super cool bit of family tradition/history. You're lucky to have it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    That's Cool!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That’s beautiful!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Cool stuff, thanks for sharing  B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a Hoosier cabinet too. Don't know it's history, but a guy I used to work with (in the 70s) had disassembled and stripped it. Never was sure why, but one day he said, "If you want it, take it." No burger press though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Just a side note.  When I was old enough to understand the era she (my Grandmaw) grew up in, I would sit and talk to her for hours.   I asked about the great depression .  She didn't remember it.  Told me they were poor before it and after it.  They raised all they ate, garden, hogs and milk cows.  She said her daddy would load the wagon with tobacco and ride to Winston Salem once a year.  When he got back all the kids 8 I believe would get new brogans.  I don't believe they were poor!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SmokeyLopey
    Options
    That is so cool! Thanks for sharing! I was in South Dekota at a friend's cabin, which had belonged to his grandparents, and we used a hamburger press his grandfather made. As said above, family traditions are nice.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very cool!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I'm with @thetrim, Very Cool indeed !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Western Auto grill. That is a brand that is all but forgotten. That certainly jogged my memory, as I have not seen or heard of them in over 50 years? I find it odd that I say that.

The piece of furniture looks beautiful, and you did a superb rework of it. Cherish it and pass it down. That is a wonderful heirloom, and you obviously are a fantastic care taker.

Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome memories Bucky. Thanks for sharing!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Well here I was expecting to see a hard cup! I read that subject line wrong... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300