Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib for 200?

Options
I was asked if I could cook prime rib and sides for 200 people....which I had to refuse because that’s a ridiculous amount and there’s no way I can cook that much. It made me think though...how much would it take!? I can’t even wrap my head around it. 
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ^^^ yea, what he said
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You would require about 50 lbs of yielded (Cooked) weight if your cuts were at 8 oz portions. The ladies may want a few ounces smaller....the men a few  more.....some will not eat it at all. The average prime rib (bone in) comes at 16-18 lbs.....and you would normally get lets say 75% yield. So using these numbers......

50 lbs at 75% yield would mean you would need to start with approx 70 lbs of raw meat. Divide that by 17# average (and you would get roughly 4.5 full 109 Rib lions. The answer would be five lions.

Now the assumptions would change if you were feeding all men for example, as the portion sizes might go as high as 12-14 ounces. All this depends on the discipline of the slicer, the demographics of the audience (Old men would not eat 12-16 ounces across the board as an example). So basically, you need to know more about who you would be cooking for. The size portions you would commit to....and have discipline with the portion sizes to ensure all are fed.

Hope this gives you some idea of how to approach.
    Mind blown. Thanks. Lol
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Food math savant.  Who knew that was a thing?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I say jump in and do it! Not as hard as it seems and with a protein like that SV will make you look like a champ, great math @northGAcock
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    @northGAcock.....WTH. You can cifer and  spell. That diet you are on must be working wonders. That said, you should eat a chicken wing or three.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• mickstephen
    mickstephen Posts: 63
    edited September 2019
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I say jump in and do it! Not as hard as it seems and with a protein like that SV will make you look like a champ, great math @northGAcock
    It was a weak moment I assure you.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Must of been a pretty boring conference call you were on there @northGAcock
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Options
    If only you had a carrot cake recipe.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Legume said:
    If only you had a carrot cake recipe.
    I could find that product with a few more questions. That said.....nothing would be done with the info.....therefore my lazy kicks in. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great ciphering but I'm lost.  If you figure 8 oz (1/2 lb) /person and 200 people wouldn't you need 100 lbs finished??  IDK...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Options
  • northGAcock
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great ciphering but I'm lost.  If you figure 8 oz (1/2 lb) /person and 200 people wouldn't you need 100 lbs finished??  IDK...
    Damn retirees....got time for fact checking. Ok....I ciphered for a hunded  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Flint, Michigan
  • Skrullb
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Well if I had enough cooking space, I’d consider it. I think my XL and medium are outmatched with that much protein 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options

I thought this was a post about Jeopardy too!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I thought this was a post about Jeopardy too!
    Lol. No, that would be Prime Rib for $1000 😏
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have served 20-30 people at a party but it was a casual affair with drinks/appetizers and I served it buffet style- sliced thin with rolls and horsey sauce. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skrullb
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have served 20-30 people at a party but it was a casual affair with drinks/appetizers and I served it buffet style- sliced thin with rolls and horsey sauce. 
    I could easily handle that...but for 150-200, and sides...way out of my league. I could handle a bunch of pulled pork, but prime rib is too much 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you do this, then @YukonRon has some kind of sriracha bleu cheese sauce that is phenomenal. 

And @northGAcock ... respect!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skrullb
    Options
    caliking said:
    If you do this, then @YukonRon has some kind of sriracha bleu cheese sauce that is phenomenal. 

And @northGAcock ... respect!
    Oh. Well that sounds tasty 
  • Legume
    Options
    Maybe we’re overlooking the fact that @northGAcock could actually turn just a few prime ribs into enough to feed 200?
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @YukonRon always interested in different blue cheese receipes.  Care to share your sriracha one?
    South Buffalo, New York
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It is pretty basic, a bleu cheese dressing I make to use with coleslaw, then adding sriracha to get the proper flavor/taste. Depends on the protein and the cut as well as rubs or spices used in the cook of the protein which determine how much I will use. I do not like to overreach resulting in covering up the other cooked flavors of the meat. I make up the dressing first, then add until I determine the right balance.

For the Bleu Cheese dressing:
    1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon of apple cider vnegar
    3/4 cup of good quality mayonnaise (I use Dukes)
    1/4 cup of buttermilk
    2 cups of high quality (dryer) bleu cheese crumbles
    1/2 teaspoon of celery salt
    1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1/4 cup of grated sweet onion.

Mix in a large non - metal bowl

Add sriracha to taste for the flavor profile you seek for your cook. (We often will make tenderloin sliders, using Kings Hawaiian roles, with that I use around 1/4 to 1/3 cup added to this recipe.) Always add in small increments to find your flavor profile.

Mix the blue cheese dressing with slaw, if you like blue cheese, the slaw on a cracker is a great appetizer.

When I make it to serve as a side with a meal, most folks will spread it on a cracker, prior to everything being served.

It is also a great addition to use for burritos or wraps for leftovers.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    That’s Gamecock Math 
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks @YukonRon
    South Buffalo, New York
  • speed51133
    Options
    cant you sous vide in a swimming pool or something?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.