Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ooni is up on Kickstarter...Karu pizza oven

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,338
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I'm curious to see how many more sign on but clearly there is an audience for a wood fired sibling to the Koda.

Can you provide an argument as to why?  As I wrote upstream, gas is far easier to control, and real wood doesn’t impart much of any flavor to the pies given how fast they cook (90 seconds max).

I certainly don't disagree that gas is far easier to use but there are folks that like playing with live fire and doing things the hard way. :)
    I think with a large wood-fired oven it makes sense to me.  Much easier to build and maintain the sort of fire you need inside the dome to generate the kind of radiant heat you really want for baking a bunch of pizzas.  

But with these small-ish portable pizza ovens... I just don't see the appeal.  When I first got my Roccbox I liked the idea of being able to use both.  But pretty quickly you learn that it's really kind of a pain to keep feeding the fire with the sticks.  And I'm far from the only one - there is a very active group of Roccbox users on FB and you'll have a hard time finding any of them who use wood.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the users of this thing end up learning much the same lesson.  In which case I'd say if you're really a fan of Ooni, just buy the Koda.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

I'm curious to see how many more sign on but clearly there is an audience for a wood fired sibling to the Koda.

Can you provide an argument as to why?  As I wrote upstream, gas is far easier to control, and real wood doesn’t impart much of any flavor to the pies given how fast they cook (90 seconds max).
    Not everyone has easy access to propane.
    The propane burner can fail. Nothing wrong with having a model that CAN cook with propane and wood/lump as option.
    Wood fire may also give the option to cook at a lower temp and add a little smoke taste for small deep dish, or cast iron cooking of crab cakes.
    As far as traditional Neapolitan pizza cooking, agree 100%, propane heat is far easier and more consistent. 
    I agree, there's more to life than 90 second pies.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

The propane burner can fail. Nothing wrong with having a model that CAN cook with propane and wood/lump as option.
    Wood fire may also give the option to cook at a lower temp and add a little smoke taste for small deep dish, or cast iron cooking of crab cakes.
    As far as traditional Neapolitan pizza cooking, agree 100%, propane heat is far easier and more consistent. 
    I agree, there's more to life than 90 second pies.

That is true and certainly applicable to people who don't own BGEs.  But for those who do, well... 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I enjoy the primal aspects of cooking with fire, so there is some appeal there - but then again I have the same forno bravo oven that sciaggie has. I couldn’t imagine trying to maintain a wood fire and cook on that side surface!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

I actually didn’t realize this thing was going to have the option of cooking with both.  That makes more sense, although I think the Roccbox is probably a better choice at this point.  
    It can use the existing Ooni gas burner and I wouldn't be surprised if for every 100 Karu's they sell they also sell 90 gas burners.
    Or it may be that for every 100 they only sell 20 gas burners. If the folks that have already signed up for a Karu were really primarily interested in gas they would just go ahead and buy the already available Koda which is gas only.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I enjoy the primal aspects of cooking with fire, so there is some appeal there - but then again I have the same forno bravo oven that sciaggie has. I couldn’t imagine trying to maintain a wood fire and cook on that side surface!
    I love those Forno Bravos - really beautiful ovens.  I think I'll acquire one someday.  

The story I told my wife (and that she was somehow happy to believe) is that the Roccbox would let me learn to become a decent pizza cook.  And that it made sense to see if I'd really catch the bug before putting a larger oven on the deck.  So far so good ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,112
    edited August 2019
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I certainly don't disagree that gas is far easier to use but there are folks that like playing with live fire and doing things the hard way. :)
    I think with a large wood-fired oven it makes sense to me.  Much easier to build and maintain the sort of fire you need inside the dome to generate the kind of radiant heat you really want for baking a bunch of pizzas.  

But with these small-ish portable pizza ovens... I just don't see the appeal.  When I first got my Roccbox I liked the idea of being able to use both.  But pretty quickly you learn that it's really kind of a pain to keep feeding the fire with the sticks.  And I'm far from the only one - there is a very active group of Roccbox users on FB and you'll have a hard time finding any of them who use wood.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the users of this thing end up learning much the same lesson.  In which case I'd say if you're really a fan of Ooni, just buy the Koda.  
    The Roccbox and issues with wood could be inherent to Roccbox design.
    With the open front and no chimney it will not draft.
    That said, I would still buy the Karu over the Koda just for the slight upgrades and modular gas burner.
    But the Roccbox has been a SOLID performer in the market for several years.
    Now with the Ardore jumping up almost double in price this should help the sales of all the smaller models sold in the US. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

That said, I would still buy the Karu over the Koda just for the slight upgrades and modular gas burner.
    Now with the Ardore jumping up almost double in price this should help the sales of all the smaller models sold in the US. 
    I hope that you acquire yours in a timely manner and that it ends up working well for you.  There are few things more fun than cooking your own Neapolitan pies.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I hope that you acquire yours in a timely manner and that it ends up working well for you.  There are few things more fun than cooking your own Neapolitan pies.
    Thanks John. I would like to eventually get a larger wood capable oven as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Thanks John. I would like to eventually get a larger wood capable oven as well.
    Are you currently considering any particular portable model at the moment?

• Photo Egg
    Options

I wish I would have jumped on the Ardore when it was on sale. Just could not pull the trigger. 
    So I bit on the Karu in hopes the design upgrades over the Koda would make it worth the money. At under $250 I hope it's worth playing around with.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I wish I would have jumped on the Ardore when it was on sale. Just could not pull the trigger. 
    So I bit on the Karu in hopes the design upgrades over the Koda would make it worth the money. At under $250 I hope it's worth playing around with.
    D'oh! You did mention that already upthread.
    Are you getting the gas burner right at the start?

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    New blackstone model comes out next year. 
    Hopefully they’ll make it with a motor that lasts.
    I don’t think I ever used the factory one. I had read the reviews and ordered the Weber motor for $50 and it’s been going strong for years. I will most Likely get the new one when it comes out. 
    Why get the new one if your old one still works just fine?
    There were numerous upgrades that I saw people do on pizza forums that I never did. I’m hoping they add some of those and up the build quality some. I would gladly pay $5-600 for an upgraded one. The original is great for what it was but you get what you pay for. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Over on the Pizzaforum everyone is up in arms about the price hike. Simone the creator said to wait till fall and the price may come back down. Apparently the supplier of the gas starters jacked his price up resulting in the price increase. Currently it seems hard to beat the Roccbox in that price range.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Over on the Pizzaforum everyone is up in arms about the price hike. Simone the creator said to wait till fall and the price may come back down. Apparently the supplier of the gas starters jacked his price up resulting in the price increase.
    Great if they do but just can't imagine gas starters almost doubling the price?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    edited August 2019
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:

D'oh! You did mention that already upthread.
    Are you getting the gas burner right at the start?
    They said gas burner would be available as an option to purchase when the unit ships. Would save shipping.
    They also sell it online now as well as some other places. I have bookmarked and will watch for sales.
    I have till at least Feb to decide if I want it from the start but it also really looks like the wood/lump set up works great. Like using a controller on the Egg, I think I will try and learn the cooker as is first.
    Do you know of any Ace Hardware online discount codes right now?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

Over on the Pizzaforum everyone is up in arms about the price hike. Simone the creator said to wait till fall and the price may come back down. Apparently the supplier of the gas starters jacked his price up resulting in the price increase.

I think that was his copout. I think he sold so many he realized his price point was low. Problem is he did a bad job of gauging where to bump it. That oven isn't worth anywhere close to a grand. I only paid $1,200 for my Bollore and now its $1,900. Even that seems high. I have yet to cook with it because our house wont be completed for another month but from what I can tell the Bollore is built really well. But its size is its limiting factor. Its somewhere between the Ardore and a Forno Bravo. Number one thing that sold me was that its a side burner instead of in the back like the Roccbox.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

I think that was his copout. I think he sold so many he realized his price point was low. Problem is he did a bad job of gauging where to bump it. That oven isn't worth anywhere close to a grand. I only paid $1,200 for my Bollore and now its $1,900. Even that seems high. I have yet to cook with it because our house wont be completed for another month but from what I can tell the Bollore is built really well. But its size is its limiting factor. Its somewhere between the Ardore and a Forno Bravo. Number one thing that sold me was that its a side burner instead of in the back like the Roccbox.
    I like the side burn as well. Can't wait to see some photos of your Bollore in action.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Zippylip said:

We began as an ambitious startup at a kitchen table, now we’re a 50 strong international team with a crew of product designers and engineers

They why are they back on Kickstarter begging for money?

Because they know they will get it and it's smart not to pay interest on a massive first run of product just like any other company on Kick. Smart business plan.
    I understand several on this forum are unhappy with Ooni's past CS. And I'm not sticking up for Ooni. If Ooni dropped the ball and refuses to help past customers then that sucks. But it might be worth trying to contact them again.
    @westernbbq were your main problems the delay of the gas option for yours?
    I guess in 2019 there’s no doubt it’s smart business & it’s obviously working judging by the numbers posted; this is probably more evidence that I’m just stuck in the stone age because the only thing that jumped out at me from that presentation was how pathetic they seem touting their huge success on one hand while not so humbly holding their hat in the other.

And I say that with no agenda about the company or their products as I have never had any dealings with them or cooked with their ovens.  The stuff certainly looks pretty cool.  Though, I’m getting lazier by the day & they still look to be more work than I’m willing to deal with; I’ve been nursing my original Blackstone along for years cringing at the thought that it would croak on me because it’s perfectly suited to my low energy level (turn a dial, push a button, return 15 minutes later with a pie, slide in, do nothing until it’s done, remove, enjoy pizza and beer).  I was really happy to read above that they’ll be re-entering the market so hopefully when mine takes a crap they’ll be available again.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    These things remind me of an aluminum foil origami project. Have you touched one in person? They are ridiculously small and thin. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    These things remind me of an aluminum foil origami project. Have you touched one in person? They are ridiculously small and thin. 
    It is made from a quality grade of stainless steel, that's not cheap. But no, have not touched one as they are not available yet.
    A local tavern near my house has a killer custom pizza oven. They claim over $30,000 invested in it. And they produce a smaller flat pizza. I can't put it in the same class as Neapolitan because it has ZERO rise. Probable because they only run the temp about 550.
    The owners have no experience and have never hired anyone with any pizza experience but still charge about $16.00 for this "pizza". And they know everything so there is no talking to them about making changes.
    So, at my Kickstarter price I only need it to last for about 15 pies to break even.lol
    Seriously, at $230. I'm not expecting an incredibly solid, high end cooker. Similar to my Blackstone griddle. Great for the price point.
    But I think it will give me an idea if I will continue to use a pizza oven in the future and spend more for larger, higher quality. I'm the only one in the family that eats pizza so making a couple small pies for myself is all I need. But I do go to my brother place and cook a lot.
    Being able to easily move it will be great.
    But agree, it does look a lot like paper art, or a Stealth Bomber.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    https://ooni.com/products/ooni-3

I have handled this one. It just seemed like too much of a flimsy toy than anything else. It made me think it belonged in like a club house the size of a storage shed next to the easy bake oven.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Seriously, at $230. I'm not expecting an incredibly solid, high end cooker. Similar to my Blackstone griddle. Great for the price point.
    But I think it will give me an idea if I will continue to use a pizza oven in the future and spend more for larger, higher quality.
    Darian I'm pretty much in the same boat but I've gone in an even different direction.  After many many years I've actually returned to where I started 25 years ago, using the same old $2 grids to bake pies in the kitchen clock.  Probably 9 out of 10 of my last ones have been done that way.  Not as good as the ones I pull off my Blackstone or even the egg, but close enough & a lot easier.  Sadly 'easier' seems to have become the priority, I think I'm finally a full blown American =) .  I too am the only one I bake them for anymore with the ex & the kids long gone, except when my girlfriend requests one.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Photo Egg said:
    But I think it will give me an idea if I will continue to use a pizza oven in the future and spend more for larger, higher quality.
    Darian I'm pretty much in the same boat but I've gone in an even different direction.  After many many years I've actually returned to where I started 25 years ago, using the same old $2 grids to bake pies in the kitchen clock.  Probably 9 out of 10 of my last ones have been done that way.  Not as good as the ones I pull off my Blackstone or even the egg, but close enough & a lot easier.  Sadly 'easier' seems to have become the priority, I think I'm finally a full blown American =) .  I too am the only one I bake them for anymore with the ex & the kids long gone, except when my girlfriend requests one.
    ALWAYS respect anything you have to say regarding pizza.
    Thanks buddy
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    Photo Egg said:
    "... bake pies in the kitchen clock."

Ok, I need help decoding what that means. :)

• Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Zippylip said:
    Photo Egg said:

As long as you have hung here I'm sure you already know. But to the Newbs, "cooking in the kitchen clock" or "clock box" refers to the little time Eggers spend using the stove in the kitchen that normally has the built in clock that everyone looks at when in the kitchen.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The Roccbox at least is far from flimsy.  Those things are built like tanks.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Zippylip said:
    Photo Egg said:

As long as you have hung here I'm sure you already know. But to the Newbs, "cooking in the kitchen clock" or "clock box" refers to the little time Eggers spend using the stove in the kitchen that normally has the built in clock that everyone looks at when in the kitchen.
    I guess I should have known what that meant but somehow that really did escape me. Thanks.

• HeavyG
    Options
    No doubt the Roccbox has the aesthetically more pleasing design and better fit and finish. And it should given how the original Uuni and Roccbox had such different paths to development.
    I keep wondering if Roccbox is going to come out with a different model or a version 2.0 of the current oven. Are there any improvements that you think they could make to the current Roccbox?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    No doubt the Roccbox has the aesthetically more pleasing design and better fit and finish. And it should given how the original Uuni and Roccbox had such different paths to development.
    I keep wondering if Roccbox is going to come out with a different model or a version 2.0 of the current oven. Are there any improvements that you think they could make to the current Roccbox?
    Good question.  I think I have seen some chatter about a new design, but I don’t recall if anything in particular was discussed as being planned as an improvement or major change.

It could use to be a little lighter I think.  I can carry it by myself but it’s heavy.  I think people are also asking for some kind of a shelf just outside the mouth that would fold up to close off the RB when it’s not in use.  But really I can’t think of anything major I’d like to see changed.