Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ooni is up on Kickstarter...Karu pizza oven

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited August 2019 in EggHead Forum
hardly a game changer.
Just the Kodi wood fire version that does not include the gas option.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tapaninaho/ooni-karu-a-game-changing-portable-wood-fired-pizza-oven
Was really hoping for a slightly larger version of the Kodi.
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Watching the video, it might be slightly larger.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,313
    Options
    That seems like a miscalculation in this space, IMO.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited August 2019
    Options
    And it will be available for delivery by Christmas....they think....

And in order to find out when and to get updates, you have to log into youtube via facebook connected to a pre registered (but only ones registered under the old uuni access are valid and there is no way to register under the ooni name) instagram account.  Then, after patiently waiting for an answer for 90 days, ooni will post yet another youtube video touting how forward looking their pizza cooking oven is...and all of these marvelous features will be showcased, but, alas, they wont tell you when itll be delivered and their expected delivery date will be moved each time the last one approaches

• Photo Egg
    Options

And in order to find out when and to get updates, you have to log into youtube via facebook connected to a pre registered (but only ones registered under the old uuni access are valid and there is no way to register under the ooni name) instagram account.  Then, after patiently waiting for an answer for 90 days, ooni will post yet another youtube video touting how forward looking their pizza cooking oven is...and all of these marvelous features will be showcased, but, alas, they wont tell you when itll be delivered and their expected delivery date will be moved each time the last one approaches

I know of their past problems.
    The ship date for these are Feb next year. But you never know.
    This unit is so close to the Kodi I'm guessing the major bugs are already worked out. It will accept the gas burner already being sold so that's a plus. Although it's not the same burner in the Kodi.
    I asked a couple questions via email and their online community on kickstarter and both were answered in less than 30 minutes. 
    Putting money into anything on KS has risk.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I want that thing so bad. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    I think Ooni knows their audience pretty well and making a wood fired oven at the price point of the Kodi is likely a good idea.
    Their earliest models used pellets which seemed to be tricky for many folks. When they released the significantly larger Ooni Pro it had the ability to use "sticks" and lump rather than pellets and by most accounts performs very well as a wood burning oven.
    The Pro, however, is larger, heavier, more expensive (2x) than the recently released Kodi (which is a fine performer with gas only). With the Karu they are offering a Kodi sized/priced oven with the ability to use "real" wood rather than pellets.
    I wonder if this means the end of their current Pro model or if they might be retooling that to keep in line with the look and manufacturing approach of the Kodi/Karu?

Read about another entrant into this arena a few weeks ago. A wood (with gas burner next year) oven designed/made in the UK. Behold, the ZiGZAG:

Price point is in between the Kodi/Roccbox spectrum. https://www.zig-zag.co/

Still waiting for the Chinese to flood the market with $200 Ooni/Roccbox/Ardore/ZIGZAG/ clones...any day now. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I think Ooni knows their audience pretty well and making a wood fired oven at the price point of the Kodi is likely a good idea.
    Their earliest models used pellets which seemed to be tricky for many folks. When they released the significantly larger Ooni Pro it had the ability to use "sticks" and lump rather than pellets and by most accounts performs very well as a wood burning oven.
    The Pro, however, is larger, heavier, more expensive (2x) than the recently released Kodi (which is a fine performer with gas only). With the Karu they are offering a Kodi sized/priced oven with the ability to use "real" wood rather than pellets.
    I wonder if this means the end of their current Pro model or if they might be retooling that to keep in line with the look and manufacturing approach of the Kodi/Karu?

Read about another entrant into this arena a few weeks ago. A wood (with gas burner next year) oven designed/made in the UK. Behold, the ZiGZAG:

Still waiting for the Chinese to flood the market with $200 Ooni/Roccbox/Ardore/ZIGZAG/ clones...any day now. :)

Good summary.
    I think the Pro model is safe for now as the Karu is also very small like the Kodi. Same size foot print for the cooking stone but the Karu stone is 1/3 thicker. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

All I know is that the Roccbox allows for both gas and wood firings, and very few of the owners opt for the wood.  The gas is far easier to control, and given how fast the pies cook at high temps, actual wood adds close to nothing to the flavor profile.
  • jdsmithii
    Options
    I am extremely unhappy with my Koda.  Have not been able to get one good pizza out of it, and now it won't stay lit.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    jdsmithii said:
    I am extremely unhappy with my Koda.  Have not been able to get one good pizza out of it, and now it won't stay lit.
    Thanks for sharing that.  Sorry about your own experience, but you probably just saved many people a lot of money.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    New blackstone model comes out next year. 
  • jdsmithii
    Options
    I make a lot of pizza, generally once every week.  I have had good experiences in the egg, but the high heat cracked my ceramics.  I wanted a dedicated pizza oven.  I should have spent more on an Ardore or Roccbox, but a guy down the road had one he used once.  Now I know why.  So many issues I won't even get into them all.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    jdsmithii said:
    I make a lot of pizza, generally once every week.  I have had good experiences in the egg, but the high heat cracked my ceramics.  I wanted a dedicated pizza oven.  I should have spent more on an Ardore or Roccbox, but a guy down the road had one he used once.  Now I know why.  So many issues I won't even get into them all.
    If you are going to throw it out there and say it's not a good product it would be nice to know what you don't like about it and how Ooni is handling your warranty claim on the propane burner.
    I just haven't seen that many bad review related to the actual quality of the product.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jdsmithii
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    jdsmithii said:
    If you are going to throw it out there and say it's not a good product it would be nice to know what you don't like about it and how Ooni is handling your warranty claim on the propane burner.
    I just haven't seen that many bad review related to the actual quality of the product.
    Fair.  I fired it up the first time and it lit, and according to directions, it is supposed to preheat for 15 minutes.  I let it go, came back with the pie, and it was off.  I relit it and it would not stay lit.  I figured I made a mistake.

A few weeks later, I tried it again, similar process, similar result.  But, this time, the button locked out.  I emailed their customer service.  A few days later, they asked for a video showing the problem.  This time, the problem was it wouldn't light, and my initial email on that was fixed, as after a day of cooling, the button worked. 

I relit it again the following few weeks, and again, it went out.  Disconnected the tank, which is full, restarted the process, and it lights but won't stay lit.  I emailed customer service again, received a standard "we'll contact you in 24 hours" and have not heard.  

Tried to make pizza last night, again, same issue.   Went on the Ooni website to get insight, and got an email from the founder telling me email the support staff.  

When I do make pizza, or have gotten one out, it can't go too far back, right, or left, or it will burn.  I can't preheat it too long or it goes out, and I can't get it in too early, or the stone won't heat the bottom.  You have to make smallish pies, by design, and constantly fidget with them in a confined area where you will singe your nose hair at least once.

Just my experience.  Stated that I am unhappy, and if you have one, I hope it works and continues to work for you.  Not trying to pee in anyones Cheerios.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lit said:
    Hopefully they’ll make it with a motor that lasts.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    I don’t think I ever used the factory one. I had read the reviews and ordered the Weber motor for $50 and it’s been going strong for years. I will most Likely get the new one when it comes out. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    I don’t think I ever used the factory one. I had read the reviews and ordered the Weber motor for $50 and it’s been going strong for years. I will most Likely get the new one when it comes out. 
    Why get the new one if your old one still works just fine?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    jdsmithii said:
    Photo Egg said:
    jdsmithii said:
    Fair.  I fired it up the first time and it lit, and according to directions, it is supposed to preheat for 15 minutes.  I let it go, came back with the pie, and it was off.  I relit it and it would not stay lit.  I figured I made a mistake.

A few weeks later, I tried it again, similar process, similar result.  But, this time, the button locked out.  I emailed their customer service.  A few days later, they asked for a video showing the problem.  This time, the problem was it wouldn't light, and my initial email on that was fixed, as after a day of cooling, the button worked. 

I relit it again the following few weeks, and again, it went out.  Disconnected the tank, which is full, restarted the process, and it lights but won't stay lit.  I emailed customer service again, received a standard "we'll contact you in 24 hours" and have not heard.  

Tried to make pizza last night, again, same issue.   Went on the Ooni website to get insight, and got an email from the founder telling me email the support staff.  

When I do make pizza, or have gotten one out, it can't go too far back, right, or left, or it will burn.  I can't preheat it too long or it goes out, and I can't get it in too early, or the stone won't heat the bottom.  You have to make smallish pies, by design, and constantly fidget with them in a confined area where you will singe your nose hair at least once.

Just my experience.  Stated that I am unhappy, and if you have one, I hope it works and continues to work for you.  Not trying to pee in anyones Cheerios.  
    Thanks for the reply.
    The only single quality issue is a problem with the gas controller. And I agree, it’s a major issue if it doesn’t work. I hope they make it right for you.
    The other problems just stem from it being a small travel size pizza oven and I understand that as well.
    I hope this new model, that can use a proven gas power source, will be better.
    Thanks again for all the info.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I know of their past problems.
    The ship date for these are Feb next year. But you never know.
    This unit is so close to the Kodi I'm guessing the major bugs are already worked out. It will accept the gas burner already being sold so that's a plus. Although it's not the same burner in the Kodi.
    I asked a couple questions via email and their online community on kickstarter and both were answered in less than 30 minutes. 
    Putting money into anything on KS has risk.
    I bought two uunis and am still waiting to get a question answered from 22 months ago....horrible communication and a top secret series of steps used to access their company website
    I gave the uunis away and got two roccboxes
    Very happy with product and company support
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

We began as an ambitious startup at a kitchen table, now we’re a 50 strong international team with a crew of product designers and engineers

They why are they back on Kickstarter begging for money?

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Zippylip said:

We began as an ambitious startup at a kitchen table, now we’re a 50 strong international team with a crew of product designers and engineers

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer...
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    I’m using the original motor and batteries last over a year in it. Mine doesn’t heat up as much as my neighbours, I think he may have a higher psi regulator?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Zippylip said:

Because they know they will get it and it's smart not to pay interest on a massive first run of product just like any other company on Kick. Smart business plan.
    I understand several on this forum are unhappy with Ooni's past CS. And I'm not sticking up for Ooni. If Ooni dropped the ball and refuses to help past customers then that sucks. But it might be worth trying to contact them again.
    @westernbbq were your main problems the delay of the gas option for yours?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Zippylip said:

Because they know they will get it and it's smart not to pay interest on a massive first run of product just like any other company on Kick. Smart business plan.
    I understand several on this forum are unhappy with Ooni's past CS. And I'm not sticking up for Ooni. If Ooni dropped the ball and refuses to help past customers then that sucks. But it might be worth trying to contact them again.
    Clearly the new model is ready for production so it's not likely to be one of those Kickstarter projects that drags on for many many moons.I think the "begging" also helps them determine how large an initial production run should be.
    After just a few days they've already received more than triple their goal. I'm curious to see how many more sign on but clearly there is an audience for a wood fired sibling to the Koda.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am wondering if some companies now use Kickstarter as just another form of marketing. It seems like it creates a buzz and anticipation of the product. I have never funded a kick starter because I am impatient. I can't even stand waiting 2 days for Amazon Prime when I buy a new toy. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I'm curious to see how many more sign on but clearly there is an audience for a wood fired sibling to the Koda.

Can you provide an argument as to why?  As I wrote upstream, gas is far easier to control, and real wood doesn’t impart much of any flavor to the pies given how fast they cook (90 seconds max).
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Zippylip said:

Clearly the new model is ready for production so it's not likely to be one of those Kickstarter projects that drags on for many many moons.I think the "begging" also helps them determine how large an initial production run should be.
    After just a few days they've already received more than triple their goal. I'm curious to see how many more sign on but clearly there is an audience for a wood fired sibling to the Koda.

Less than 20 hours live so far and triple the goal already. Time will tell if the Karu is an improvement over the Koda, and if CS has improved.
    So far I'm told thicker cooking stone, thicker outer insulation, slightly larger front opening, modular and proven gas option as well as chimney to improve airflow.
    I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the Ardore when they were on sale. I truly think at that price point it was the hands down winner.
    As cheap as the Karu was yesterday I funded one. I always have wood chunks and lump so I took the gamble on this model for a small oven I could easily travel with.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I'm curious to see how many more sign on but clearly there is an audience for a wood fired sibling to the Koda.

Can you provide an argument as to why?  As I wrote upstream, gas is far easier to control, and real wood doesn’t impart much of any flavor to the pies given how fast they cook (90 seconds max).
    Not everyone has easy access to propane.
    The propane burner can fail. Nothing wrong with having a model that CAN cook with propane and wood/lump as option.
    Wood fire may also give the option to cook at a lower temp and add a little smoke taste for small deep dish, or cast iron cooking of crab cakes.
    As far as traditional Neapolitan pizza cooking, agree 100%, propane heat is far easier and more consistent. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:

Not everyone has easy access to propane.
    The propane burner can fail. Nothing wrong with having a model that CAN cook with propane and wood/lump as option.
    Wood fire may also give the option to cook at a lower temp and add a little smoke taste for small deep dish, or cast iron cooking of crab cakes.
    As far as traditional Neapolitan pizza cooking, agree 100%, propane heat is far easier and more consistent. 
    I actually didn’t realize this thing was going to have the option of cooking with both.  That makes more sense, although I think the Roccbox is probably a better choice at this point.  
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I certainly don't disagree that gas is far easier to use but there are folks that like playing with live fire and doing things the hard way. :)