Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Question

Options
Am curious to try this, but has anyone every put better than beef bouillon directly on steaks then grilled them?  I have seen used is sous vied methods but not directly on the grill.  
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Photo Egg has but I cant for the life of me figure out how to tag him on here.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @Photo Egg

Just watch the amount can be very salty
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes with a little avocado or EVOO and create a paste consistency.  A tip I credit to THE Marco.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @Photo Egg

Just watch the amount can be very salty
    Roughly 1/2 cube per steak depending on size.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have rubbed a little on each side of a steak then added only pepper before grilling. I just grilled at medium heat to finish. Was not sure how it would handle a good sear.
    Let us know if you give it a try.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I am going to use the jarred bouillon.  I'm thinking of grilling them hot and fast.  I tend to screw up the reverse sear method.  I will post pics tonight when I do it.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I am going to use the jarred bouillon.  I'm thinking of grilling them hot and fast.  I tend to screw up the reverse sear method.  I will post pics tonight when I do it.  
    This is what I use.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    This is what I use.

Yeah that’s what I have and was going to use. So just a thin layer on it and directly on the grill is my plan. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    plz post results
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    As odd as this seems....I have used chicken bouillon. Reversed sear method (sorry) and it seemed to work out very nice indeed.

I have to try things a bit different in cooking red meat for My Beautiful Wife, due to a digestive condition she has.

Looking for methods to add flavor to shoe leather lead me to try it out.

Goid luck and let us know.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Since I'm on a lower salt diet (and I actually did this before that became an issue) I dust the meat with granulated garlic. I also tend to use another seasoning mix on things I'm grilling. IME, the granulated garlic gives a nice flavor without being too strong.
    I have always avoided 'garlic salt' since I don't want to have that much salt. That goes back to long before my diet shift. 
    I also agree with going with a quality cut of meat. Plus don't cook it to death. I cry a little when anyone orders any beef done more than medium rare. I won't do a burger beyond medium for anyone. If you want the steak (or burger) 'well done' then you must really hate good beef. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I’ll bow out. Best wishes brother. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,352
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Work social night including lots of adult beverages altered my plans tonight. Going to do it tomorrow. I agree with just going with the flavor of the beef. Just looking to try something different. Maybe thinking about buying a sirloin and trying it on that. Who knows. Going to go to HEB tomorrow and see what looks good.  Thinking it might be good on a filet since there isn’t much fat on filets. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    Options
    Prime ribeye, if you can get it in your area, salt, pepper, garlic.  medium rare.  There is not a better steak IMO
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Couldn’t agree more @FSUMark
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Tried it tonight with some prime filets. It was good, but I think I like the rubs or spg that I use. Here are some pics.  It’s too damn hot to cook inside right now  I’m over with this summer heat  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    1/2" ribeye for the win!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    That’s actually what I was thinking. Maybe a sirloin or even flank steak. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    thetrim said:
    1/2" ribeye for the win!
    Hahaha ... half inch steaks are the best