Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Do You Still Have a Drive-In Theater Near You?

Options
2»

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    One down the road here in Superior, Iowa. Just a 15 minute drive from the Iowa Great Lakes. 
    NW IOWA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2019
    Options
    RRP said:
    Surely I'm not the only dude in his teenage years who snuck into the drive in driving in the OUT lane with my lights turned off! We would then quickly find a spot near the back. Then when we saw we had not been caught to find a nice spot nearer the screen!
    I see how you accumulated your vast wealth through tightly controlling your expenses.

edit:  We jammed into trunks if not on a date.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP said:
    Surely I'm not the only dude in his teenage years who snuck into the drive in driving in the OUT lane with my lights turned off! We would then quickly find a spot near the back. Then when we saw we had not been caught to find a nice spot nearer the screen!
    Ron, you crazy criminal, you!
    Options
    Can't remember which base it was, but there was an OD theater right along the landing flight path that played pr0ns; the tower had to warn pilot from other locales not to get distracted!  
    We have one just down the hill from me, only been there for the Saturday morning flea market.... OMG, Walmart people squared!!   :open_mouth:  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• volminimax
    volminimax Posts: 119
    Options
    I have 4 within an hour of me. Two of them have 2 screens, 2 are just single screens. They are all very well ran. Very clean and family friendly. As they should be, that is their main draw.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yes, Ruskin, FL, but I've never been to it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    RRP said:
    And you get pissed at @WesJohnson?  Sounds like you learned the hard way that karma is a Bit@h....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    Options
    thetrim said:
    RRP said:
    And you get pissed at @WesJohnson?  Sounds like you learned the hard way that karma is a Bit@h....

ya damn straight
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • rifrench
    Options
    We had one until a strong wind or hurricane blew the screen down. I worked part time in the concession stand and occasionally in the projection booth. The job ended the night I entered as a paying customer with an older lady. 
    His comment as he took the money was "You're a smooth operator, aren't you?"
    I'll leave it up to you to figure out rest....
    And the closest XXXXX drive in is now a flea market.

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Options
    There is still one in operation about 50 miles away in my hometown of Houston, Missouri. I spent many evenings there in my teen years. I feel sorry for anyone who has never experienced a drive-in theater. Great memories! 
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Building a brand new one out here.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    I wish we did!  I think it's a two hour drive to the nearest one.  First weekend of freshman year at college, a group of us went to see a triple-feature outside Fayetteville: Wizards, Heavy Metal, and Rocky Horror.  That was quite a combo.
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    One recently opened about 45 minutes from us.  My wife and I and son and his family went last summer. Had a great time. May be the same one @lousubcap mentioned. 
       When I was a kid, our Sunday School teacher would put cattle racks on his pickup, throw in some straw and take us to the drive-in in Madison, In.  It’s long been gone now.  We would see horror movies. We thought it was great. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options

Surely I'm not the only dude in his teenage years who snuck into the drive in driving in the OUT lane with my lights turned off! We would then quickly find a spot near the back. Then when we saw we had not been caught to find a nice spot nearer the screen!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           '58 Chevies had a HUGE trunk
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My gracious. I am old.

I bought an old 59 Cadillac El Dorado convertable, with bench seats in the front, when I was a kid. I did so, specifically for the purpose of going to the drive ins.

By the time I bought it, it was already well abused, and ready for the scrap yard, but I was able to get 3 more summers out of it.

I had that and a Jeep. The caddy won on weekends when not camping. 

Even at that time, drive ins were losing ground to the theater experience, and cable TV.

I am a movie fan, however there was always something very cool about a car, big screen, and the night sky shared with your gf, even if it was an old pos vehicle.

Not exactly styling....but it was a good time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Any possibility of a COVID-inspired comeback?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Botch said:
    Any possibility of a COVID-inspired comeback?  
    Bert Kreischer is a stand up comedian and he is doing 4 shows this summer at drive in theaters since his regular tour has been put on hold.  It is something that could catch on.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ElkhornHusker
    Options
    A movie theater here set up a screen on the outside of their building to create a drive in.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.