Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza do's and dont's!!!

Options
Good day all eggheads! New egghead here needing pizza dos and donts + any tips from the experienced members! Wanna blow the family away as i have already with ribs and brisket....thank you!!

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Do heat up the Egg 1hr.  Do use parchment paper, life is too short to deal with sticky pizza.  Do leave dough come to room temperature before handling.  Don't forget pizza on the Egg and do yard work.    Do share.  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

One key is to get the pizza stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked. If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.

There are many types of pizza and they have differing cooking needs. In general, I think of the differences in terms of "thin crust/high temp/short time/high hydration dough'" vs "thick crust/lower temp/longer time/lower hydration dough". Many people like what is often called American style pizza. This is medium to medium-thick crust cooked at moderate temps for longer times. 500°F +- works well for this. Most home ovens can do 500° or 550°F. BGE can do this as well. You can get good results using either. If you want a NY style or Neapolitan style pizza, you need temps higher than a home oven can produce. You can get good results for these styles with a BGE.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BTal
    BTal Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! 
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I've kept it pretty simple so far on pizza and it's worked well.  I try to get to 450 to 500 indirect.  I usually throw the pizza stone in once I'm up to 300 and then stabilize around 470.  After the stone has preheated I throw the pie in there.  I use corn meal on my peel and stone and have never had a sticking issue.  Then usually give it about 10 to 15min depending on the toppings and pull it out.  Always turns out!

The mrs is hinting she wants a chicken bacon ranch pizza tonight!
    NC - LBGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If you use cornmeal and cook many pies, eventually the excess cornmeal will burn and stick to bottom of fresh pies... use a copper pipe to blow off the cornmeal.

@GrateEggspectations here's another hot air tip for ya my friend  ;)
    https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/accessories/how-to-clean-wood-fired-oven.html
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    3/8” piece of steel in the kitchen oven, pre heat to 550. Parchment. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    I don’t leave my cooking grid in my BGE while nuking pizzas.  It becomes too clean and then may start to rust.  
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    i like parchment paper for the first 30/40 seconds

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Just understand that making quality pizza comes with a steep learning curve. My general recommendation is to get comfortable making pizza/bread (etc) in your oven before you try and adapt to the grill/egg. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • BTal
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Just understand that making quality pizza comes with a steep learning curve. My general recommendation is to get comfortable making pizza/bread (etc) in your oven before you try and adapt to the grill/egg. 
    Interesting thought......thank you
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Also, buying a frozen pizza and cooking it in your egg doesn't count.  Many have tried to claim that here...  =)

I trust everyone who makes their own dough, but for me, I rarely have time for that as pizza is usually a last minute dinner idea.  I go to the food store and buy pre-made dough, or get it from a pizza parlour.  Harris Teeter usually carries a non-foodstore brand that has 00 flower.  Whatever I get then stays out on the counter while I pre-heat the egg (first) and then get all the other ingredients prepped.

Personally, I don't use parchment.  Your results may vary, for me it burned often and I was left peeling paper shreds off the pizza.  I've been pretty lucky just cooking it right on the stone and I like the results. Once in a while I get a sauce/cheese breakthrough and things stick, but it's rare and dough is cheap.  And actually...the mistakes still taste good. ;)

Enjoy, have fun.  The tips here are great.  You can start by just keeping it simple. Pizza doesn't have to be a major effort, but if you want it to be, you have the tool for it if you have the time.

One tip which helped me was to have a metal peel and a wooden peel. I use the wooden peel to prepare the pizza and place it on the stone.  I use the metal peel to re-position the pizza during cooking (spin it) and for removal.  It makes it a lot easier to get the pizza off.  And the pizza cooks quick!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    One more bit of info: You need less sauce on your pizza than you think! Most of all, enjoy! 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Check your hinge bolts before firing up the egg for a pizza cook (I know the newer bands have better safeguards for this but with an older band style I learned the hard way.)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2019
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Personally, I don't use parchment.  Your results may vary, for me it burned often and I was left peeling paper shreds off the pizza.  I've been pretty lucky just cooking it right on the stone and I like the results. Once in a while I get a sauce/cheese breakthrough and things stick, but it's rare and dough is cheap.  And actually...the mistakes still taste good. ;) 
    Same here.  I've felt that parchment is like training wheels, okay at first but later.... (I know I'm in the minority here, but how many pro pizza shops have you seen that use parchment?   :D)
    EDIT:  And, actually, pizzas don't stick to hot stones; they stick to the damn metal peel!  (see below)

One tip which helped me was to have a metal peel and a wooden peel. I use the wooden peel to prepare the pizza and place it on the stone.  I use the metal peel to re-position the pizza during cooking (spin it) and for removal.  It makes it a lot easier to get the pizza off.  And the pizza cooks quick!
    Definitely!  The wood peel helps ween you from the parchment (I lightly dust the bottom of my dough with flour, then sprinkle a bit of cornstarch onto the wood peel using a salt shaker).  Having two peels also allows you to build the next one, while the previous one is cooking; great for cooking for a crowd).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Another option is pizza screens. You can build the pie on the screen and set it on the stone like parchment. After a couple of minutes you can slide the pizza right off on the stone if needed to get a better crust. They are cheap and can also be used as grill toppers. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Three tips:

If using parchment, trim it to the size of the pie, leaving a small extension to help pull out the paper mid-cook.  This significantly eliminates the burnt pieces that can then float onto the pizza.

+1 on pizza screens, they can be used for other cooks as well (including veggies and smoking nuts).

Wax paper is not a substitute for parchment (oops).
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Straight from the source....

“Blend of three cheeses.” Will have to be sure to check out a recipe or even instructional video. 😉
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    You’ve really got to be a weapons-grade moron if you’re buying your pizza cutter from BGE.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You’ve really got to be a weapons-grade moron if you’re buying your pizza cutter from BGE.  
    But it’s got the non-slip grip and integrated blade guard. NON-SLIP GRIP!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I love my Gozney peel that came with the Roccbox. 
    Options
    But it’s got the non-slip grip and integrated blade guard. NON-SLIP GRIP!!
    I have that style of pizza cutter, although not BGE-branded.  
    Last two years of college my roommate and I lived on $0.49 Totinos frozen pizzas and $2.99 12-packs of Old Milwaukee.  One night I was slicing our supper with a cheep Ecko pizza cutter and the rivet the sharp blade pivots on sheared off, and sliced that web of skin between my thumb and forefinger, took months for that to heal.  
    That can't happen with the above style, and the blade is not that sharp (you actually crush the crust, rather than slice it) and so it works fantastic to slice homemade pasta on my countertops, too.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• BTal
    Options
    Wanted to update all.....thank you for all of your thoughts!!! Made my first pizza (finnaly) tonight. Came out GREAT!!!! Started a prerolled dough from Publix on parchment paper, then moved it directly to the stone at the 8 min mark, cooked till 22 mins at 450° and it kept everything cooking the same. I have the deflector feet side down, grate on that and the. 3 foil balls ontop with the pizza stone on that. Wife...even my 4 yo loved this cheese pizza!!!(half pepperoni for adults)
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    No matter how many beers you have drank, DON'T forget to remove the parchment paper.  I promise you .. no .. I guarantee you, that you won't like the taste of parchment paper crust.  And it doesn't digest well. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia