Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Beef short rib question

GymGym Posts: 361
Hey all.
I picked up some beef short ribs at Costco this morning. Should I cook these low and slow or fast fry? What kind of internal temperature am I looking for?

Comments

• SmokeyLopeySmokeyLopey Posts: 87
    Got some of these as part of our portion of a cow we purchased, so I will be interested in the responses.
  • CornfedMACornfedMA Posts: 196
    edited July 13
    The packaging makes it tough to see how they’re cut, but they look thin. Almost like a kalbi type cut. Bottom line if they’re thin cut like a kalbi style short rib, go hot and fast until they’re cooked through. Med-rare won’t get you a great texture on a kalbi style rib. 

If they’re thick, bone-in, go low and slow until they probe “like buttah” and enjoy some brisket on a stick. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 hrs and an internal of 195-205. 
  • GymGym Posts: 361
    They're definately thin. I was thinking fast fry too
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 19,320
    Those are definitely cross cut (kalbi/korean bbq style as mentioned above). I would grill them direct at like 350 for as long as you possibly can.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX
  • Matt86mMatt86m Posts: 251
    Hot n fast! Make some rice and sprinkle on some Furikake
    Cows eat grass therefore I am Vegan
    IG -->  matt_86m
  • drumdudeguydrumdudeguy Posts: 137
    Felt line direct at 425
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • GymGym Posts: 361
    Update- cooked at 400 for about 10 mins... Dynamite!!! I'll definately be doing these again!
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 2,412
    Looks amazing!!!!
    Southlake, TX, and Cowhouse Creek, Gatesville, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.