Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short rib question

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
Hey all.
I picked up some beef short ribs at Costco this morning. Should I cook these low and slow or fast fry? What kind of internal temperature am I looking for?

Comments

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    Got some of these as part of our portion of a cow we purchased, so I will be interested in the responses.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The packaging makes it tough to see how they’re cut, but they look thin. Almost like a kalbi type cut. Bottom line if they’re thin cut like a kalbi style short rib, go hot and fast until they’re cooked through. Med-rare won’t get you a great texture on a kalbi style rib. 

If they’re thick, bone-in, go low and slow until they probe “like buttah” and enjoy some brisket on a stick. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 hrs and an internal of 195-205. 
  • Gym
    Options
    They're definately thin. I was thinking fast fry too
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Those are definitely cross cut (kalbi/korean bbq style as mentioned above). I would grill them direct at like 350 for as long as you possibly can.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Hot n fast! Make some rice and sprinkle on some Furikake
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options
    Felt line direct at 425
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Gym
    Options
    Update- cooked at 400 for about 10 mins... Dynamite!!! I'll definately be doing these again!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Looks amazing!!!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.