Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Franklin BBQ Experience

Options
2»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It’s one thing to be great at something, it’s another to be great. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @lousubcap : Looks good--although it sounds like I would be 4pm getting through Franklin's line if I got such a late start by having breakfast at Valentina's. To amend my comment...it looks great!
    You are dealing with a real pro with @lousubcap. That guy can put away bbq like nobody I have ever seen. I wouldn’t do Franklin’s and Valentina’s in the same month, much less the same day :lol:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    You just have to make the best use of the narrow window of opportunity that is available.  For those of you in residence, you have a whole lot more flexibility although brisket daily doubles are a true culinary experience.  And the Valentina's/Franklin's duo would be about the top of the combo's you could put together. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    We are planning a trip thru Texas this fall, but there is no way the wife would sit in line for more than 30 minutes for a meal!  We are spoiled as we normally have 10-20 minute wait times when we dine out!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    We are planning a trip thru Texas this fall, but there is no way the wife would sit in line for more than 30 minutes for a meal!  We are spoiled as we normally have 10-20 minute wait times when we dine out!
    Solutions to your issue-you wait in line and let her know once you are inside the door.  From there it's about 30 minutes til getting the brisket.  Or, you do the whole thing and order enough so that you have to-go left-overs for your wife.  I'm sure there are other options.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Just give her a kiss and tell her you’ll miss her... then enjoy your lunch....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Preorder and pickup to enjoy - https://preorder.franklinbbq.com/ 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    What hotel would you recommend in Austin that's relatively close to Franklin BBQ? Thinking about flying down around Christmas for a short trip to one of the BBQ meccas.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,352
    edited July 2019
    Options
    volfan1 said:
    What hotel would you recommend in Austin that's relatively close to Franklin BBQ? Thinking about flying down around Christmas for a short trip to one of the BBQ meccas.
    I would stay downtown.  That way you can enjoy the night live after you recover from  the meat comma you will be in.  We like the JW Marriott, but there is a nice Fairfield Inn and a Residence Inn that aren't too far away at all from Franklins.

Midland, TX XLBGE
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Options
    volfan1 said:
    We stayed at the Sheraton and it was decent.  Can definitely walk to Franklins from there.  There's a little boutique hotel called Hotel Eleven right down the street.  I went there and grabbed some coffee while we were in line and it seemed pretty nice as well.  My wife and I usually enjoy staying at places like that so next time we may try it out.
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    The Van Zandt is supposed to be nice.  Plus its on Rainey Street which is a great area.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    We stayed in the presidential suite at the Sheraton for free - courtesy of a buddy who was the hotel's manager at the time - so that was a good experience.  That probably doesn't help you but it's a nice memory for me so I thought I would throw it out.  

I've also stayed there in regular rooms (also for free - or almost free).  It is walking distance from Franklin's and from 6th Street, it has a nice outdoor area with craft beer, and it's what you would expect from a Sheraton in terms of amenities and rooms and stuff.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Another endorsement for Hotel Eleven-just a block and a half up 11th St from Franklin's-boutique European style hotel.  Location, location, location and a solid property as well.  Stayed there in 'Dec '16 and again in June '19 (last two times in Austin) solely for the proximity to Franklin's.  Rates comparable to any of the big chains on the other side of I-35.  FWIW-
    Edit: only 14 rooms but a great house black cat-Louie. 
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Thank you for your recommendations!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • TexasRebel
    Options
    There's also some place that has cinnamon rolls with no icing and it's the best cinnamon roll I've ever had.  The couple in front of us got some and was gracious enough to share.  Which just goes to show you how the experience in line goes.  Maybe someone else from the area knows the place I'm talking about.  I can't remember where she said she got them from. 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There's also some place that has cinnamon rolls with no icing and it's the best cinnamon roll I've ever had.  The couple in front of us got some and was gracious enough to share.  Which just goes to show you how the experience in line goes.  Maybe someone else from the area knows the place I'm talking about.  I can't remember where she said she got them from. 
    I don’t but anyone who will power down cinnamon rolls while in line for brisket is ok by me. Not to @lousubcap levels by any means (anyone who goes from Valentina’s to Franklin same day is just depraved) but still a very strong effort. 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I don’t but anyone who will power down cinnamon rolls while in line for brisket is ok by me. Not to @lousubcap levels by any means (anyone who goes from Valentina’s to Franklin same day is just depraved) but still a very strong effort. 
    @lousubcap did that.  A couple of weeks ago we had Valentina's for lunch at a kids b day party, then went to ATX Cocina like 8 hours later and I could barely eat anything.  Let alone Franklins. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Maybe you need a new wife.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @lousubcap did that.  A couple of weeks ago we had Valentina's for lunch at a kids b day party, then went to ATX Cocina like 8 hours later and I could barely eat anything.  Let alone Franklins. 
    those are 2 strong meals in one day as well. You likely saved yourself a pretty penny going to Cochina ATX not hungry.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Yeah @The Cen-Tex Smoker we just got a couple of apps, a sope each, (6 of us) and margaritas and beers.   The bill was $350.   I was good, not sure it was that good for the money.  I think there are better places to eat.  We really love Wu Chow.  Man those soup dumplings are pretty damn good.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah @The Cen-Tex Smoker we just got a couple of apps, a sope each, (6 of us) and margaritas and beers.   The bill was $350.   I was good, not sure it was that good for the money.  I think there are better places to eat.  We really love Wu Chow.  Man those soup dumplings are pretty damn good.  
    we love Wu Chow too. Big fan of the soup dumpling. We have even made them at home a few times. Labor of love right there.

I do love Cochina ATX but I never feel it's worth the price tag. We never get out of there without feeling we were violated in some way. Yet we keep going back. maybe they know what they are doing.
  • TexasRebel
    Options
    Upper Crust...found it!
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Upper Crust...found it!
    Wow! I found it earlier! I searched for "cinnamon rolls in austin no frosting" or some such. Found this... http://www.somuchlife.com/2019/05/i-went-on-a-hunt-to-find-the-best-cinnamon-rolls-in-austin.html/

Scroll down for Upper Crust.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut