Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB and Airflow

Options
2»

Comments

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    hole butt
    It's funny how ones eyes will transpose some series of words.  That was really confusing for a second.  ;-)
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    hole butt
    It's funny how ones eyes will transpose some series of words.  That was really confusing for a second.  ;-)
    For a moment there I thought he was doing something unnatural with the piece of charcoal...  :o
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2019
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    I’m having the opposite. Hard to get temps above about 330. The LGBE is clean. 

What do do you all do to shake the leftover lump in the KAB so there is more airflow?
    I take the KAB out of the Egg and shake the ash into a plastic bag that is lined inside of an old canning pot. Nice clean solution.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    1911Man said:
    hole butt
    For a moment there I thought he was doing something unnatural with the piece of charcoal...  :o
    When you shake your ash they notice fast.  Some mistakes were bilt to last.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    JNDATHP said:

What do do you all do to shake the leftover lump in the KAB so there is more airflow?
    Shake the ash out, set it back in, then top it off with fresh lump at least above the firebox into the fire ring.  If the airflow is good, you have enough charcoal, then you may have under-kilned charcoal.  Do you have a bunch of white smoke still at 330?
    No smoke and using Rockwood. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had one in my mMx with the wire coiled in the oppsite direction of my KAB in the XL.

Based on volume of air vs charcoal load and working the ratios to equal, the one spun backwards saves about 3 % more lump when using Rockwood, but used 12% more using the BGE brand lump charcoal.

So in order to further test this, I reversed the flow of air, requiring it to flow from the top vent out the bottom vent.

The reults were absolutely identical but completely different. The one spun backwards used 3% more Rockwood, but used 12 % less BGE brand.

I also have no leg hair left.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    JNDATHP said:

Shake the ash out, set it back in, then top it off with fresh lump at least above the firebox into the fire ring.  If the airflow is good, you have enough charcoal, then you may have under-kilned charcoal.  Do you have a bunch of white smoke still at 330?
    No smoke and using Rockwood. 
    How much did you put in?

Is the bottom firebox cut out aligned with the draft door?

Is you dome temp calibrated and working?

There are not many other possibilities here.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Ever since I started using my KAB, my truck has improved its mileage by 17.3% 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had stage 5 brain cancer, and since I bought my KAB, I have been cured and my physique transformed into an Adonis.
    Options
    I know these are fighting words but I must be the only person who bought the KAB that does not see the value. Mine is sitting in the basement. I have to scrape some ashes out either way. Also I waste less of my expensive Rockwood charcoal using the factory arrangement. I have the rEGGulator so airflow is not a problem.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    As previous have stated, temp is regulated by fuel, fire, and oxygen. The main issue with temp regulation and the egg is all of the fuel is available to catch under the right environment. In contrast to a gravity fed, only a certain amount of fuel is ever available to fuel for temp via a chute. Even with a credit card slot opening in the bottom vent and  the top vent opened, a fire will start sucking in available oxygen at every location where it is available. Once it starts, its got a whole bunch of available of fuel available to it. I would imagine by the KAB's design, more oxygen is available to the coal.

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    billt01 said:
    As previous have stated, temp is regulated by fuel, fire, and oxygen. The main issue with temp regulation and the egg is all of the fuel is available to catch under the right environment. In contrast to a gravity fed, only a certain amount of fuel is ever available to fuel for temp via a chute. Even with a credit card slot opening in the bottom vent and  the top vent opened, a fire will start sucking in available oxygen at every location where it is available. Once it starts, its got a whole bunch of available of fuel available to it. I would imagine by the KAB's design, more oxygen is available to the coal.

You got it......and yes the KAB will make more O2 available but only if you open the bottom draft door.  Think of the stock sewer plate at a restrictor limiting the airflow when you open that door more than halfway.  With the KAB, the door is the only restriction.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I know these are fighting words but I must be the only person who bought the KAB that does not see the value. Mine is sitting in the basement. I have to scrape some ashes out either way. Also I waste less of my expensive Rockwood charcoal using the factory arrangement. I have the rEGGulator so airflow is not a problem.
    Not alone.  I have one for my small because it's a PIA to get the ash out, but I never bought one for my large because I don't see the value for it there.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL