Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella on the large

Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
Not a lot to say, it is paella, so I will let the pictures do the talking. 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,707
    WOW.. looks Fantastic Mark
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,021
    Very Nice !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,058
    Love it.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • nice!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,427
    One of my top two BGE cooks and you nailed it.  Congrats.
    How was the soccarat?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,595
    Great cook brother!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Paella - is ALWAYS the correct answer. Looks great. I’m sure it was fantastic. I don’t know about you but I like cooking paella maybe more than eating it. This is a cook that takes time. Friends and family should gather around with a beverage and tell stories together. This is a meal that brings folks together. Good for you my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sea2Ski
    lousubcap said:
    One of my top two BGE cooks and you nailed it.  Congrats.
    How was the soccarat?
    Swing and a foul....  (but not a total miss!!)  I should have let it sit another minute or two. While it was not bad, it was not as caramelized as I would have liked, but the fire was also a bit hotter than I wanted so I pulled it earlier thinking that it was better under than overdone. Once burnt, that flavor goes all through it. 

Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    SciAggie said:
    Paella - is ALWAYS the correct answer. Looks great. I’m sure it was fantastic. I don’t know about you but I like cooking paella maybe more than eating it. This is a cook that takes time. Friends and family should gather around with a beverage and tell stories together. This is a meal that brings folks together. Good for you my friend. 
    I could not agree with you more @SciAggie
    Large and MiniMax

• SciAggie said:
    oh? I love eating Paella but I've always been afraid to make it because 1) it seems complicated as hell, 2) it seems to require specialized cookware, and 3) I don't have a clue where to start. I should just jump in though, that looks delicious! 
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie said:
    oh? I love eating Paella but I've always been afraid to make it because 1) it seems complicated as hell, 2) it seems to require specialized cookware, and 3) I don't have a clue where to start. I should just jump in though, that looks delicious! 
    You should jump in. Paella isn’t as complicated as it looks. There are certainly distinct steps in the cook, but many cooks are that way. Yes, you do need a paella pan for best results. Start on Youtube, search here, or go to the NakedWhiz paella page - that’s where I started. By the third time you make a paella you’ll have it completely figured out. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    Another endorsement for jumping in as stated by @SciAggie.  And to make it a bit easier here's a link to a great primer as mentioned by SciAggie:
    The key is to have everything ready to go before you start the cook.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks! Suggestions on paella pans for the LBGE?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • lousubcap
    Thanks! Suggestions on paella pans for the LBGE?
    The Naked Whiz paella primer has a section devoted to paella pans.  Give it a look.  Also I would check out Amazon.  The deal breaker is that the pan handles limit the size of the cooking area pan that you can fit on a LBGE and still shut the dome.  However, there really is no need to shut the dome as @SciAggie is quite accomplished using a huge pan over an open fire.  FWIW-
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171

Yum

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great cook Mark. Was anticipating a little seafood from you =).  Crowd required?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    This pan is a workhorse in my kitchen. Works for paella, fits the large, good for multiple other uses. https://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-Carbon-Steel-Paella/dp/B000ECO866/ref=sr_1_3?crid=QZVQSSYMG1DM&keywords=de+buyer+carbon+steel+paella&qid=1562000197&s=gateway&sprefix=debuyer+carbon+steel+paella%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-3
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SciAggie said:
    This pan is a workhorse in my kitchen. Works for paella, fits the large, good for multiple other uses. https://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-Carbon-Steel-Paella/dp/B000ECO866/ref=sr_1_3?crid=QZVQSSYMG1DM&keywords=de+buyer+carbon+steel+paella&qid=1562000197&s=gateway&sprefix=debuyer+carbon+steel+paella%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-3
    de Buyer pans are de Best!

That said, I have an 18" aluminum paella pan, works fine, but I have been looking at those de Buyers for other applications...

@nolaegghead Yea, that’s why I was suggesting that pan. For you too, man I use that pan all the time. Heck, I put a 9 lb. spatchcock turkey in it yesterday.

For what it’s worth - I also believe the Pata Negra paella pans are good IF you are planning to cook over a wood fire. They are heavier (and more expensive) than standard paella pans but I believe they are less likely to warp under high heat.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,764
    Awesome meal!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Sea2Ski said:
    I will let the pictures do the talking. 
    They speak volumes my friend. Simply outstanding sir👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    NIce cook Mark.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Sea2Ski
    bgebrent said:
    Great cook Mark. Was anticipating a little seafood from you =).  Crowd required?
    @bgebrent my wife does not eat seafood beyond flounder and mahi.  Furthermore she wanted vegetable paella, but she knows I do not think something is a meal without meat, so she let me put chicken in it. Sooo....  that is how that happened. 
    Large and MiniMax