Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Bourbon Day

Options
2»

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lousubcap I hope to find a bottle of Blanton’s at some point. I’d like to try it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @lousubcap I hope to find a bottle of Blanton’s at some point. I’d like to try it. 
    Just a quick tip that, although not plentiful in my area, I have seen Blanton’s many times at Duty Free Shops. If you’re doing any air travel, keep it in mind. 
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options

@BUFFALOMOOSE. I just purchased some Bowman’s Single Barrel. How do you like it?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I just opened this thread to find that, for once in my life, I am responsible:
    The opening bourbon salvo (been a stick burner beer day so far):
    I will shift to a more pedestrian bourbon rocket fuel pour later this PM.  LEO for sure.
    Enjoy the day!

Blanton original is $115CDN/$87US here in lotus land on the GWN left coast, it is only $70CDN/$53US when on an Ontario LCBO shelf. Gotta love provincial liquor boards, cost has nothing to do with retail price. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited June 2019
    Options
    A day late but I wanted to play with y’all. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I prefer my bourbon neat, but I’ve found in last few months that Ice is the only way to ward off the crippling heart burn neat whiskey gives me . Getting old blows . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @Skiddymarker your Ontario prices are well in line with what it goes for here, when you can find it.  My son has a liquor store contact and can get it when not otherwise available but the upcharge is a good 20-25%.  Sometimes you just suck it up and sip it slowly.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I prefer my bourbon neat, but I’ve found in last few months that Ice is the only way to ward off the crippling heart burn neat whiskey gives me . Getting old blows . 
    Neat, with a splash of water vs the ice eases the “heartburn”, IMO. Always said the best methods is to pour about 45ml out of 750ml bottle, splash of water and enjoy. Now top the bottle back u with water and you can throw away the glass and drink right out of the bottle! 

BTW Knob Creek is a bourbon. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Skiddymarker your Ontario prices are well in line with what it goes for here, when you can find it.  My son has a liquor store contact and can get it when not otherwise available but the upcharge is a good 20-25%.  Sometimes you just suck it up and sip it slowly.  B)
    So true. Saw Evan Williams on sale at WA grocery store for $11.99US/750ml. Definitely took advantage of that to ward off the night chills on the camping trip. 
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    Neat, with a splash of water vs the ice eases the “heartburn”, IMO. Always said the best methods is to pour about 45ml out of 750ml bottle, splash of water and enjoy. Now top the bottle back u with water and you can throw away the glass and drink right out of the bottle! 

BTW Knob Creek is a bourbon. 
    I will try the water trick, thank u 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    @SandyHookEgger in a blind taste test of 7 different bourbons I picked the bowmans as second best behind the sam houston and identified 5 of the 7 correctly. I misidentified jack daniels and a Tennessee bourbon which were the 2 harshest. Bowmans was very smooth.  Enjoy. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    FWIW, I was recently part of a group of 6 that tried/shared 2 rounds (so 12 total) of different whiskeys/bourbons.  Eagle Rare and Basil Hayden were the consensus winners.  I don't remember the names of all of the "loser" but they include Angels Envy, Woodford, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Elijah Craig among others.  

Disclaimers: 1) None of us were whiskey connoisseurs, mostly just folks who have started exploring the brown water.
    2) We didn't test any of the really high end whiskeys - they all seem to be available for under $50/bottle.  

I'm a few days behind, but I'll celebrate with some Basil Hayden when I get the chance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Never too late to join anything if you celebrate with Basil Hayden. To us Jim Beam or Evan Williams guys, that’s pretty much top shelf stuff. Last fall while binge watching Justified I pretty much was responsible for most of the Wild Turkey 101 that was exported to Canada (or so SWMBO says).

Son came by today with our seven year granddaughter with a bottle of Old Grandad - right in my wheelhouse for Father’s Day. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    My son has a liquor store contact and can get it when not otherwise available but the upcharge is a good 20-25%.  Sometimes you just suck it up and sip it slowly.  B)
    So, the "black-market" system does exist outside mormonville.
    Good, or sad, to know....

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @Foghorn - I am all in with the Eagle Rare choice.  Connoisseur is a word that could be a bit top-shelf for brown water drinkers here.  But by my criteria, if you like then it's a win.  Always a learning opportunity in those environments.  Glad you enjoyed it. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    Father's Day tour of Belle Meade.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @SmokeyLopey that looks like a great place to visit on Father’s Day, or any day for that matter. Never heard of Belle Meade, thanks for the info. Personal choice is a higher rye content would like to “sample” their reserve.