Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I bought my egg a friend: A Yoder pellet smoker

Options
So we recently did a little remodel, added a door from our family room into the backyard, and we installed a patio. My egg had previously been sitting basically on some pavers in the grass next to the house. 

I love my egg, but wanted something for quick grills like burgers and dogs that didn't take too long. And I also wanted something with lots of surface area for long smokes- I've done a couple of full packet briskets in my large BGE, which I've had to cram in there...

So, after much internet forum snooping and shopping around, I decided on a Yoder 640 pellet grill/smoker. 

We had the thing running within five minutes of being wheeled onto the patio. I did the required hour long burn in, then threw on a turkey breast which was at least 1.5 years old but had been safely frozen that whole time. I just wanted to make something! 

So, first impressions -- I really like it. Turns on with a single switch, ready to go in about 15 minutes, has built in temperature control. I got last year's model (cheaper), but the new model coming out now has Wi-Fi built into the controller.

It is noisy, which I completely did not expect. Once it's turned on, there is a fan which runs continuously at the same speed, blowing on the little fire box with the pellets. I did not expect it to run at full speed continuously. I've been using a FB200 on my large egg for years, and I guess I expected the pellet smoker to regulate temp using the fan (just seems so natural to do so), but the fan runs continuously and temp is regulated just by the auger speed which feeds pellets into the fire box. 

I have a feeling that the fan with such high volume air flow is going to affect the crust on foods, maybe drying stuff out quicker than the egg... There was a dry crust on this turkey breast, which only took a couple hours at 350. Still good, just different than the egg would have been...

I've read that some people don't like pellet  smokers because they don't impart as much smokey flavor, but honestly that's okay for my family, who often complain that my egged food is "too smokey", haha! 

I have not tried direct grilling yet, but apparently this thing is decent at that as well. I know it won't be as good as the egg with real charcoal, but for quick weeknight meals, I'm willing to take the trade-off...

I would love anybody's input if they have a pellet smoker/grill -- things you wish you had known, things you had to learn from trial and error...

I still love my egg (don't kill my thread, Buffalo!), but excited to add another tool to the arsenal...

Thanks for looking! 

JacksDad

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,794
    Options
    The Yioder is a Solid Pellet Smoker
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • hrchdog
    hrchdog Posts: 40
    Options
    I got a Yoder YS640 last year to go along with my XL BGE, like it so much I'm giving it to my son and getting a YS1500.
    Herrin,IL.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Beautiful place there. Don’t know enough about pellet cookers to comment. 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    hrchdog said:
    I got a Yoder YS640 last year to go along with my XL BGE, like it so much I'm giving it to my son and getting a YS1500.
    That's awesome! I wanted the new model with Wi-Fi, and the competition cart. But SWMBO wasn't having it. I think the 1500 would have been pushing my luck, and in not sure I would ever need to cook that much food in one setting...

Any tips for direct grilling? I imagine it doesn't get hot enough to allow direct coming over the entire surface, just the area near the fire chamber...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    hrchdog said:
    That's awesome! I wanted the new model with Wi-Fi, and the competition cart. But SWMBO wasn't having it. I think the 1500 would have been pushing my luck, and in not sure I would ever need to cook that much food in one setting...

Any tips for direct grilling? I imagine it doesn't get hot enough to allow direct coming over the entire surface, just the area near the fire chamber...

Did you get their version of the platesetter which has a removable access door to allow direct fire?
  • JacksDad
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    hrchdog said:

Did you get their version of the platesetter which has a removable access door to allow direct fire?
    No
    I can just remove the large metal heat deflector, no door on it
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,516
    Options
    Great upgrade to your yard right there.  Congrats on the build and the new addition.  Have fun mastering the Yoder.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    JacksDad said:
    hrchdog said:

No
    I can just remove the large metal heat deflector, no door on it
    This is the accessory I am referring to which makes it easier than removing all grill grates, then removing the overall diffuser 
    https://www.atbbq.com/accessories/grill-parts/pellet-grill-parts/yoder-smokers-heat-diffuser-access-door.html

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,687
    Options
    My wife gave me a Traeger for Fathers Day last year. It definitely hasn’t replaced my egg but love having it. I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    ... I love my egg, but wanted something for quick grills like burgers and dogs that didn't take too long...
    NO problem with the Yoder!  Different types of grills/smokers have different ways they're good and not so good, sounds like you'll enjoy it!  I get the surface area issue, and the automatic control, etc., sounds convenient.

But I'm puzzled by the suggestion that the Egg isn't idea for quick grills.  Ever since I switched to Rockwood charcoal, I just don't have a problem with "white smoke," anymore.  And once I started using a torch to light it with, I really think I'm ready to grill as quickly as I ever was with a gas grill.  I've never timed it, but I'd guess I'm ready to grill in 10 minutes, maybe 15.  And for grilling, I just can't imagine I'd enjoy grilling as much on a pellet grill, or anything else, really, other  than maybe the coals of a wood camp fire, as on charcoal.

If your BGE takes a really long time to get ready to grill, maybe think about Rockwood and a different way to light it. 
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Nice, Yoders are manufactured 40 miles from where I live in KS. Good solid piece of tech there. 
    Pratt, KS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    That's a great looking grill and chill spot

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Nice score with the Yoder @JacksDad .  I have been looking at pellet cookers for while to go with my XL, BBQ Guru's, minimax, Weber kettle, and Blackstone.  Now that I write that, I think I may have an issue.  

The new wifi may push me over the edge.  I realize it's not necessary but obviously I like toys.  @hrchdog I would love to know your experience once you get the 1500 compared to the 640, specifically capacity and flavor profile?

South Jersey / XL Egg
  • jlaw
    jlaw Posts: 18
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Two additions that I would recommend would be adding the fitted cover to extend the life of the paint and the 2 piece diffuser and grill grates which would give you that direct fire grilling.
    Newton KS
    MBGE, Large Joe, Weber gasser, YS640
  • JacksDad
    Options
    jlaw said:
    Two additions that I would recommend would be adding the fitted cover to extend the life of the paint and the 2 piece diffuser and grill grates which would give you that direct fire grilling.
    Excellent, thanks! I already have the cover. Will consider the diffuser soon. 

Out of curiosity... When direct grilling, how big of a problem are the grease drippings? Do you put anything down in the bottom of the smoker to catch it? 

With the diffuser in place, the grease all rolls off into the little collection channel at the far end, and into the bucket. But with lots of grilling, I'm now a worried about a big build up of grease over time...

Thanks! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My YS-640 had the removable hatch, so I could sear anything direct over the pellet tray.  600+ degree flame at least!   And you could still cook indirect on the RH side by sliding the divider partition.  
    It was a tank but I didn’t like how many pellets it burned (compared to my Traeger), for smaller cooks.  You might want to keep a spare “hot rod” around, as they are cheap and go bad after some time.  Mine usually failed during a big family cook or holiday bbq.  
  • JacksDad
    Options

I got the grill grates today. Wow, what a difference on this thing! 

Oh, and I made a loaf of bread (in my regular ole oven)... Sourdough with cheddar and garlic 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Congratulations on the Yoder, I've heard they are fantastic.

I have a Cookshack FEC 120 pellet smoker.
    I was worried that the high air flow would cause dry food.
    I have not had any issues with food becoming dry due to the air flow. In fact, I think that ribs turn out better than I was able to produce with my egg.

I have really enjoyed the pellet smoker, it nice to be able to do bigger cooks, I can cook as little as one pork butt, or as many as fifteen. They always come out the same. The cooking ease and consistency is really nice.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Yoder.
    Great pellet oven.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JacksDad
    Options

Totally loving this thing. Going to have to plan a cook on my egg so it doesn't get jealous...

Large BGE -- New Jersey