Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket pan drippings - do you keep?

Options
What does everyone do with the contents of the drip pan after a brisket cook? In my limited brisket experience I've been tossing the whole pan but wife is suggesting I save the liquid and use for reheating... 

If you keep them do you lift the drip pan off the plate setter with spacers? Advice requested! 
New Orleans LA

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    What do you mean by "use for reheating"?

I don't tackle that mess of a pan until the next day, so I obviously have to toss it.  If I were to stop being lazy about the clean up, I would just lift my CGS AR setup out of the Egg, slide the aluminum pan off the CGS oval platesetter, and pour it into a cup/bowl/or whatever.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If my protien is IN. the pan I keep, if it's underneath IE on top of plate setter I toss it...no real reason other than its a little more " burnt"
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I tried to make gravy out of the contents once and failed miserably. Haven't attempted to save again...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I like to rub a little under my eyes. Helps me with that late night drinking bags 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I like to pour it on top of brussel sprouts and cook them in a cast iron skillet.   Very nice side to the brisket! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I let it gel overnight then pull the foil out of the drip pan and throw it away.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If you're going to save any of it I would save all of the fat trimmings. I have, on more than one occasion, rendered these for beef tallow. The problem with trying to utilize the fat drippings out of the catch pan from a long brisket cook is there's going to be slew of stuff in there not just naked tallow.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    With beef we save the au jus, to freeze in ice cube trays, for use in Bloody Marys.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have never thought of keeping the drippings from the catch pan.  Now if wrap in foil it get it done quicker I use the drippings in my burnt ends.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It’s trash for me unless from a roast done in a pan.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I've used one of those gravy separating cups to capture some of the juice sans-fat then dumped it over a rewarmed brisket that was purposely cooked the day before. Kept properly refrigerated, it was a good way to add moisture when dealing with a day old product. Not necessary, but mildly beneficial. (because it mostly runs off) Good for a data point none the less.
    Now, if I was going to do chopped brisket sandwiches, I would definitely save it for later.

Gittin' there...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Late to the party-but always toss the foil covering the drip pan after the over-night cool-down.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Late to the party-but always toss the foil covering the drip pan after the over-night cool-down.

I appreciate all the replies but if @lousubcap says toss it - I will continue to toss 😁
    New Orleans LA