Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Is a KitchenAid worth it?

FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 2,250

I have a buddy with this model in red. Was a wedding gift but they've only used once. They rarely ever cook. I can buy off him for $100. I know there are a lot of attachments. Idea of grinding my own hamburger meat sounds good

KitchenAid KSM75WH Classic Plus Series 4.5-Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063ULMI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vRKQCb5Z86MB0

Thoughts?

Boom

Comments

• MJGMJG Posts: 515

Yes. Buy it.

Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • MeTedMeTed Posts: 784

Buy it Now!

Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 5,271

Yes, we have had ours for 30 years still works great

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mike & JanaMike & Jana Posts: 19

Absolutely buy it. Best in the kitchen product ever.

• mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,270

I’d buy it for $100.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • g8golferg8golfer Posts: 951

I give u you $125

• BGEChicagoBGEChicago Posts: 466

I agree, buy it! Had mine for 15 years and still works great.

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 1,753

Ours lifts, I would rather have the tip model.

South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 1,880

That’s what my wife started with 15 yrs ago, before I upgraded her to a professional 1hp version. We passed her original on to her brother and his wife and it gets put to use almost daily and is still going strong.

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 
    Check out Chef Norah Grace on Instagram @the_buckeye_bbq
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 15,071

The pasta attachments are pricey but awesome.

• WpilonWpilon Posts: 20

Be careful with Kitchenaids, they've recently launched a line on "consumer" models that have a fraction of the power (wattage) of the classic behemoths that made their reputation. See the chart at the bottom of that Amazon listing.

The version we've got is 575 watt one and I've used it for everything from pizza dough to grinding and stuffing 10 lbs of pepperoni in an afternoon.

The one you've linked to has a 275 watt motor. Yeah it will take all the attachments, but I don't know if it will drive them.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 30,752

I use mine at least once a week.

• BotchBotch Posts: 7,990

From what I remember from my pizza-making forum, Kitchenaid went to the cheeper plastic gears quite some time ago, realized their mistake, and I thought went back to metal gears, but that's a lot of brain cells ago. Mine is about 25 years old, and it will outlast me (it weighs a ton!) I wish I could give you dates/model #s for these transitions, but I can't.

For $100, if you don't have a mixer, Grab It, plastic gears or not. You could weight what you purchase and compare it to what's in stores now (and I'll weigh my girl for comparison, if you wish)

Incidently, I almost bought the "lift-style" Kitchenaid all those years ago (they're the more powerful), but realized that it was too tall to fit on my counter, under my cupboards, which would've really been a pain; glad I noticed that before purchase.

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,097

I wouldn't live without my kitchenaid mixer. I use it for all kinds of stuff. I LOVE IT. Buy it now.

XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range
  • blastingblasting Posts: 6,262

It's not a high use appliance for me, but very nice to have when needed.

Mine is avocado green from back in the Hobart / Kitchen Aid days. I wouldn't trade my ugly beast for 3 new ones - it has personality.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,300

Love mine. Pasta, doughs, cookies, ground chuck, whoop cream...

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 3,305

Is whoop cream for when you are making whoopy?

XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 3,305

Like above, buy it. My pro series 600 is a tank

XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,300

On occasion. However Rediwhip is excellent on short notice😁

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 30,752

Focker and @JohnInCarolina both had a special love for "redi-pots"...

• HendersonTRKingHendersonTRKing Posts: 1,468

We did the same thing . . . in 2 separate kitchen re-designs. It's just THAT important. (More to SWMBO than to me, but "Happy Spouse, Happy House"!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 1,756

Yes they are worth it, but I would suggest buying the larger 7qt model.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 8,477

Have a 575W pro stand mixer, about 20 years old. I did use it for grinding meat and it worked just fine. Mostly about 5# at a time. Couple of years ago, for about $100, picked up an on sale LEM grinder at Bass Pro that is easier to clean and use and does a better one pass job for grinding meat than the multipurpose Kitchenaid. If your main use is grinding, there are a number of purpose built meat grinders for around $100 that will really outperform the Kitchenaid you are looking at. If your use will be as a mixer as well, it is a good buy to add to your kitchen gadget arsenal.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 24,704

my concern would be the wattage being too low for any real grinding, my bigger pro model gets pretty hot and i never grind more than 2 butts

• tomstaggstomstaggs Posts: 1

Absolutely buy it. 20 years of multi-use. Still works great. Bought one of the bigger ones 5 years ago. Using both. Can’t go wrong for 100 dollars especially if it has attachments.

• rifrenchrifrench Posts: 233

We have a fairly recent model from Costco, but like the sous vide, it will take my impending retirement for them to see much use. Some of you know what i mean...

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, and 1 KBQ near Blackstone, Virginia
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,852

Yes, but you have to open a can of whoop-ass.

NOLA
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 7,743

@FanOfFanboys

What happened?

Flint, Michigan