Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT — New Garbage Disposal — OT

KennyCJRKennyCJR Posts: 247
Installing a new single basin composite sink and figured it was a good time to upgrade the builder grade .25 hp garbage disposal.   

Any of y’all have an opinion on this one?  Says it can handle chicken bones and melon rinds, lol. Kinda reminds me of the toilet that can flush a dozen golf balls....why?...why not? 😂😂
Pearland, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s

Comments

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,073
    I get the most powerful one available; then throw whatever I have at it! The real benefit to high power is how quiet they are vs the amount of food they process.
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range
  • steel_eggsteel_egg Posts: 280
    Badger. 3/4. More than enough for the average house. Don’t put stuff down you shouldn’t. 
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 14,889
    edited March 16
    Garbage disposals keep plumbers in business... Be wary of what you put in one. I had a kitchen flood. Five months of no kitchen. 
  • LitLit Posts: 7,391
    When I redid our kitchen I installed like a 1.25 HP. It took anything down fast but it was fairly loud. I swapped it after a year or 2 for this .75 hp and its much quieter. https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErator-Evolution-Compact-3-4-HP-Continuous-Feed-Garbage-Disposal-with-Power-Cord-COMPACT-W-C/302453631
  • KennyCJRKennyCJR Posts: 247
    Whoops, meant to post a link.  
    This is what you get with one of those “throw anything into it” disposals. 

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,791
    I eliminated the disposal when we bought our current house.  I’m on septic and no way I was sending ground up food to the system when I could easily scrape plates into trash with no issues. 

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,755
    My only question is are you on a septic system? If so, I sure would not, but if so then forget my question!!!
    L, M, S &  Mini
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time

Ron
    Dunlap, IL

Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks like you have fans and a dehumidifier pointed at fresh drywall work that is still wet, behind the plumbing uprights???
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,791
    edited March 16
    I would doubt that is fresh drywall work on the wall but moisture on the floor.  The section of wall was prolly never painted because the cabs cover it    The floor shows the wet spots.   

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    edited March 16
    KennyCJR said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks like you have fans and a dehumidifier pointed at fresh drywall work that is still wet, behind the plumbing uprights???
    That was many years ago. I didn’t install or touch those fans. $35k insurance bill. Basement was flooded out too 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 19,059
    Septic at home here no disposal. Have 14 rent house/duplex's NO DISPOSAL and most are not septic. Just a PIA for rental. Good luck. 
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,073
    edited March 16
    I’ve spent at least 30 years and put whatever I want into the disposal. Same with all my family, grandparents, uncles etc.  Get a good one, they will handle incredible amounts of food.

even strong plumbing can fail. But installed properly they will do the job with six sigma accuracy 
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range
    edited March 16
    @Thatgrimguy I agree.  I’ve had the same.
  • My last 1/4 HP made it 10 years, and I installed that 1 HP model 4 years ago.  It’s a beast, and runs quiet.  We use it daily.

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

BGE XL++Flameboss 300 WiFi++Blackstone 36"++2 Weber Kettles

• chipmanchipman Posts: 79
    The best thing i ever bought on the advise of the contractor who remodeled my kitchen when he was putting the final touches by installing a new disposal. His advise was to purchase a $5.00 sink strainer and use the disposal as little as possible. Best thing I ever bought.
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 9,617
    We upgraded to a higher hp ISE years ago and love it.  We still don’t toss winter squash peels, banana peels, etc down it, same as we have always done, we didn’t become more aggressive just because we bought a bigger disposal.  We also have a macerating pump that pushes all house waste up to the street line.
    Austin, TX
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 30,615
    I put a 5 HP 3 phase 208 volt unit in.  Pretty much takes whatever you throw at it.  Except pure whale blubber, that usually requires some pushing with a broomstick. 

• milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 2,051
    I have a waste king 1 horsepower. It's a monster. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,774

Visalia, Ca
  • I put a 5 HP 3 phase 208 volt unit in.  Pretty much takes whatever you throw at it.  Except pure whale blubber, that usually requires some pushing with a broomstick. 
    The lake I fish in Nebraska has that size on the fish cleaning station.  Even big catfish heads won’t slow it down!

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

BGE XL++Flameboss 300 WiFi++Blackstone 36"++2 Weber Kettles

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,747
    edited March 17
    I have a waste king 1 horsepower. It's a monster. 
    WasteKings are usually the top rated ones......higher than the badgers and insinkerators.  I picked one up on Amazon lighting deals for my flip house for $120 or so.  L8000 model.  Same one I've had for 10+ yrs.  I dont use it much since we are one septic, but when I do, it works great!
  • EoinEoin Posts: 2,431
    Waste disposal units aren't really a thing here, I don't know anybody who has one. We have hotbin composting bins - polystyrene, so insulated to keep the heat in. All of our raw vegetable waste goes in there, compost for the garden comes out.
  • CPFC1905CPFC1905 Posts: 518
    Eoin said:
    Waste disposal units aren't really a thing here, I don't know anybody who has one. We have hotbin composting bins - polystyrene, so insulated to keep the heat in. All of our raw vegetable waste goes in there, compost for the garden comes out.
    In the late 70's we visited relatives that had one.  Absolutely scared the bejeeeesus out of me.  When I re-emerged from behind my mother, they showed me the mangled tea spoon they had rescued from it.   It was my 'Dr Who '- the stuff of childhood nightmares......
     "Shohna ba Shohna"
    Op Herrick / Enduring Freedom  2011 - 14.
  • odie91odie91 Posts: 522
    @doublegger,  how did you flood a kitchen that bad with a clogged drain?   Did you run your dishwasher and then leave the house?
    edited March 18
    odie91 said:
    @doublegger,  how did you flood a kitchen that bad with a clogged drain?   Did you run your dishwasher and then leave the house?
    A chuckie clogged up the pipes beyond the disposal. Didn’t leave the house. I used Drano. If Drano touches anything, it gets ripped out. It’s doesn’t take much water to buckle hardwoods. either. 
  • HubHub Posts: 834
    I'm on a septic tank and have had a disposal for 12 years.  I pretty much use it every day and have never had a single issue.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia