Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian Sausage on the Small

Came out real good.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Looks great. What is your skillet sitting on in the egg? It doesn’t look like it’s directly on the grid. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks great. What is your skillet sitting on in the egg? It doesn’t look like it’s directly on the grid. 
    Thank you.
    skillet is sitting on an old gas stove top grate. Brings the handle up even with top of base so I can close dome.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Winner winner Sausage Dinner...can’t go wrong with that !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Photo Egg said:
    Thank you.
    skillet is sitting on an old gas stove top grate. Brings the handle up even with top of base so I can close dome.
    Got it - very smart use of a stove grate.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    One of my favorite meals. Sausage and peppers on a fresh Amaroso roll is just one of those simple delicious pleasures in life. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Darian, that looks wonderful! I haven't had sausage and peppers in forever, but I think that's about to change.

Don't know why I remember this, but the first time I ever had it was from a street vendor outside Fenway Park. Long time ago. Don't recall who won or even who was playing, but I remember that sub! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    edited March 2019
    Darian, that looks wonderful! I haven't had sausage and peppers in forever, but I think that's about to change.

Don't know why I remember this, but the first time I ever had it was from a street vendor outside Fenway Park. Long time ago. Don't recall who won or even who was playing, but I remember that sub! 

Thats a great story. I never took notice of food til I got my Egg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Looks good Darian!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Sea2Ski said:
    One of my favorite meals. Sausage and peppers on a fresh Amaroso roll is just one of those simple delicious pleasures in life. 
    @Sea2Ski, I don't think I've ever seen Amaroso rolls (or if I have, I didn't know what I was seeing). Went to Aldi this evening and there they were!! Tomorrow night... sausage and peppers!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Gawjus
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Big fan of sausage and peppers. Check out this recipe from Serious Eats.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/spicy-italian-sausage-with-peppers-sandwich-recipe.html
    Mountain View, CA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Yum!!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @Carolina Q I had a sausage and peppers sub outside Fenway last summer. It was awesome. And the Red Sox won.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Stone ground mustard to boot! Yes please. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great cook right there. 
    Regarding cast iron and the SBGE-I cut the handle off a 10" skillet leaving a small extension to grab (with fire retardant gloves).  Great fit.
    Inglehoffer makes some good condiments.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    edited March 2019
    Good few days here! Saw the original post above, defrosted the three Italian sausage links I found in the freezer, cut up a green bell pepper and an onion, egged the sausages and put it all together on an Amoroso roll. Outstanding! But the roll was only long enough for 1 1/2 sausage links... so I had to do it again the next day! :)

Now I'm out of sausage, but still have plenty of rolls left. Hmm. More freezer diving found a vac sealed bag of uncooked meatballs! Made some of my favorite marinara sauce (Lidia Bastianich) and added the leftover peppers and onions. Browned the meatballs and dumped them into the sauce to braise for a while. Linguini and meatballs hit the spot! 

Still have those rolls though. Meatball and marinara subs to the rescue!! Topped with cheddar and into the toaster oven to melt the cheese and toast the roll. Had enough for three more meals! Absolutely delicious!

Sadly, while I still have one roll, I have nothing left to put on it. However, the grocery store is only a mile away! I might even make more meatballs. I have a new recipe I've been wanting to try. =)

Anyway, Darian, thanks for the inspiration. I have eaten very well since your post! Still, no pics so maybe it was just my imagination.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Good few days here! Saw the original post above, defrosted the three Italian sausage links I found in the freezer, cut up a green bell pepper and an onion, egged the sausages and put it all together on an Amaroso roll. Outstanding! But the roll was only long enough for 1 1/2 sausage links... so I had to do it again the next day! :)

Now I'm out of sausage, but still have plenty of rolls left. Hmm. More freezer diving found a vac sealed bag of uncooked meatballs! Made some of my favorite marinara sauce (Lidia Bastianich) and added the leftover peppers and onions. Browned the meatballs and dumped them into the sauce to braise for a while. Linguini and meatballs hit the spot! 

Still have those rolls though. Meatball and marinara subs to the rescue!! Topped with cheddar and into the toaster oven to melt the cheese and toast the roll. Had enough for three more meals! Absolutely delicious!

Sadly, while I still have one roll, I have nothing left to put on it. However, the grocery store is only a mile away! I might even make more meatballs. I have a new recipe I've been wanting to try. =)

Anyway, Darian, thanks for the inspiration. I have eaten very well since your post! Still, no pics so maybe it was just my imagination.
    Very nice, and way to adapt to your freezer!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    I hope the Amoroso rolls aren't one of those one time only deals at Aldi. They are VERY good! Didn't know about them until @Sea2Ski mentioned them. Like Leidenheimer in Nawlins, these are apparently a Philly institution. But what do I know? I haven't been to Philly since the 70s!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    I hope the Amoroso rolls aren't one of those one time only deals at Aldi. They are VERY good! Didn't know about them until @Sea2Ski mentioned them. Like Leidenheimer in Nawlins, these are apparently a Philly institution. But what do I know? I haven't been to Philly since the 70s!
    I keep meaning to stop and buy some...thanks for the reminder.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I love Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches.  Growing up my grandparents always served it up with some macaroni salad, and to this day that’s the way I do it.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    This looks great.  Nice to see the onions and peppers in the mix.  We've got to get you baking.  With your touch (and your camera), you would be an instant celeb on the Wild Yeast thread.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Photo Egg

This is all I found today 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I like it better than  a small sausage on an Italian if you know what I mean.  
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Photo Egg said:

@caliking has a killer bun recipe, if you want to dip your fingers into some dough.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Photo Egg
    20stone said:
    Photo Egg said:

@caliking has a killer bun recipe, if you want to dip your fingers into some dough.
    I have followed his bread posts. @caliking has mad skills.
    I dabbled a little with breads but mostly the basic cast iron rustic bread. Has always come out fantastic but bread making is not my thing yet. I'm not willing to commit the time right now and I know it will consume my life for months if I start now.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Photo Egg :
    I dabbled a little with breads but mostly the basic cast iron rustic bread. Has always come out fantastic but bread making is not my thing yet. I'm not willing to commit the time right now and I know it will consume my life for months if I start now.lol
    Thanks for the kind words. BUT... I’ve seen some of your loaves, and this is definitely in your wheelhouse. C’mon... you know you want to :smiley:

I’ll just leave this here:

Modified from Jeffrey Hamelman's "Bread" 2nd ed.  Makes 10+ buns (depending on size). 

AP flour           500g
    Milk                 230g
    Egg                     1
    Butter, soft      3 TBSP
    Sugar              1 TBSP
    Salt, table        2 tsp
    Yeast               1 TBSP

- Mix the dry ingredients
    - Add softened butter and incorporate until you have pea sized lumps
    -Beat the egg and milk together, then add to dry ingredients.
    - If using a KA, mix with dough hook at speed 1 x 5 mins, or until the dough comes together.
    -Cover and rest for 20 mins
    - Mix at speed 3 x 5 mins, or until a "tongue" forms and laps the side of the bowl. The dough should be pulling away cleanly from the side of the bowl.
     - Knead by hand briefly, to form a smooth ball.
    -Cover and bulk ferment x 40 mins.
    - Divide into 75g (or however many buns you want to make) sub-dough balls.
    - Roll into 3.5-4" discs (or depending on the diameter of your burger patties) and lay on baking sheet lined with parchment. 
    -Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hr. Turn oven on at 400°F.
    - Bake for 10 mins or until  tops of buns are brown.
    - Remove from oven and brush the tops with melted butter. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671

the secret to the fenway sausages is italian dressing drizzled into the peppers just before they are done, there always used to be a squeeze bottle for the grill.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg :
    Thanks for the kind words. BUT... I’ve seen some of your loaves, and this is definitely in your wheelhouse. C’mon... you know you want to :smiley:

I’ll just leave this here:

Modified from Jeffrey Hamelman's "Bread" 2nd ed.  Makes 10+ buns (depending on size). 

AP flour           500g
    Milk                 230g
    Egg                     1
    Butter, soft      3 TBSP
    Sugar              1 TBSP
    Salt, table        2 tsp
    Yeast               1 TBSP

- Mix the dry ingredients
    - Add softened butter and incorporate until you have pea sized lumps
    -Beat the egg and milk together, then add to dry ingredients.
    - If using a KA, mix with dough hook at speed 1 x 5 mins, or until the dough comes together.
    -Cover and rest for 20 mins
    - Mix at speed 3 x 5 mins, or until a "tongue" forms and laps the side of the bowl. The dough should be pulling away cleanly from the side of the bowl.
     - Knead by hand briefly, to form a smooth ball.
    -Cover and bulk ferment x 40 mins.
    - Divide into 75g (or however many buns you want to make) sub-dough balls.
    - Roll into 3.5-4" discs (or depending on the diameter of your burger patties) and lay on baking sheet lined with parchment. 
    -Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hr. Turn oven on at 400°F.
    - Bake for 10 mins or until  tops of buns are brown.
    - Remove from oven and brush the tops with melted butter. 

Ok Buddy,
    I will give it a shot. Thanks again.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas