Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
Random question: I’ve done brisket a few times with various degrees of success. I’ll match my ribs against anyone, but I’m certainly still a novice at brisket.

I was watching a couple YouTube videos where people were separating the point and the flat before cooking. Is that a common practice? Do any of you do that? And if not, do you separate them before wrapping?

Although I mostly lurk, I’m a huge fan and admirer of the work I see posted by all of you and would appreciate the advice! 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

I don't do that and I don't think most people here do that.  

I sometimes slice it that way after it is cooked.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I separate mine when I go to wrap since I can manage burnt ends and flat separately 
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    In Texas that's a sin... Lol . I never separate point and flat.  Recently I've even skipped wrapping.. The egg keeps stuff plenty moist but you get more bark... 
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.
    Regarding brisket- another who never separates the flat and point.  I also don't sacrifice the point to burnt ends.  However you get the outcome you want is all that matters.  Try various options and see what works best.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Welcome! I see a lot of KCBS Competition teams doing this with high grade meat but otherwise most leave it whole.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    I used to wrap it, no more. Also another vote against separating point and flat until cutting. Also ride fat cap up the whole way
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Leave whole, fat cap down on the EGG. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    What smittythesmoker said

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I feel like videos found on the internet have the highest percentage of bad information you can find anywhere. By comparison, I feel like this forum and the general consensus that can be gleaned from it (where possible) is the most reliable information you can find.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Keep it whole until after the cook.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have separated after the cook for burnt ends, otherwise, leave it alone and slice it.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.