Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Epic Day of Ribs

Options
Ryezza
Ryezza Posts: 22
edited February 2019 in Pork
On Superbowl Sunday I cooked ribs three ways: BBQ ribs on the Big Green Egg, honey mustard sous vide ribs using my Anova, and blackberry ribs in the Crock-Pot. It was one of the better meals that I’ve ever prepared, so I thought I would share some a few pics and some details about the cook.

Prep started the day before when my son and I trekked to Costco and picked up six racks of pork back ribs. As soon as we got home, I pulled out two racks of ribs and coated them liberally in a homemade rub that contained mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt. I cut the racks into sections, vacuum-sealed each section in a bag, and dropped the bags into a bath controlled by my Anova sous vide device. I left the water temperature at 155 degrees overnight for the first 9 hours and then cranked it up to 166 degrees the next morning for the next 9 hours.

Next up, I rubbed another two racks of ribs down with salt and pepper and left them sitting for about 20 minutes. Again, I chopped the racks into sections, threw each section into a Crock-Pot, and filled the pot with beef broth. I also diced some sweet onions and floated them in the broth. I turned the Crock-Pot up to medium and left them submerged for 6 hours.

After that, I grabbed the last two racks of ribs and hit them with a BBQ rub that included brown sugar, ancho chili pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. I fired my Big Green Egg up to 225 degrees using Rockwood Charcoal (which I love) with a couple of water-soaked chunks of hickory added to the lump. I put apple juice in a drip pan on top of spacers above the plate setter so the ribs would drip into it as they cooked and then I threw the ribs in my rib rack sitting on top of the grill. I flipped them over after an hour and pulled them after two hours, wrapping them individually in foil with a splash of apple juice inside and then putting the foil-wrapped ribs into an aluminum pan. Next, I removed the grill and poured the apple juice and drippings that had been in the drip pan into a pot that I left simmering on the stove. Finally, I put the grill back in place, cranked the heat up to 275 for the rest of the cook (with an assist from my DigiQ DX2), and threw the wrapped ribs back into the Egg for another 2.5 hours.

The BBQ ribs finished up first, so I dumped the liquid that had accumulated from the bottom of the aluminum pan into the prior drippings that were reducing on the stove and then wrapped the ribs in a towel to stay warm. Meanwhile, my wife and I made 3 different sauces. For the BBQ sauce, we started with the dripping reduction and added a bit of ketchup, brown sugar, and corn starch (to thicken the mixture).  For the honey mustard sauce we added raw honey, dijon mustard apple cider vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, cajun seasoning, salt, ground pepper, and corn starch. The blackberry sauce was made from blackberry jam, ketchup, brown sugar, ginger, ground pepper, and corn starch. While all three sauces were simmering on the stove, we pulled the ribs out of the sous vide bath, Crock-Pot, and aluminum pan and laid them out out baking sheets while we warmed the oven up to 300 degrees. We patted the ribs down and then poured the sauces liberally over them: BBQ on the ribs that had cooked on the Big Green Egg, honey mustard on the ribs that had cooked in the sous vide bath, and blackberry on the ribs that had cooked in the Crock-Pot. Then we threw all of the sauce-covered ribs into the oven for about 20 minutes. When we pulled them out, we let them rest for a few minutes. Finally, we served them along with some homemade mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese.

The flavor profiles and the texture were spot on for the way I like my ribs. We asked guests to pick their favorite recipe and they were split pretty evenly into thirds (my favorite were the BBQ!), which I took as a good sign. In hindsight, I’m pretty sure that the ribs brought far more joy than the game. :) I’ll definitely be using these recipes again! 

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Nice looking cook and yes, looks better than the game. Let me see if I am understanding this, you said guests picked their favorites and were evenly split? So some preferred crock pot ribs to egged ribs?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Wow, great job. Thanks for sharing with details.
    canuckland
  • Ryezza
    Options
    Nice looking cook and yes, looks better than the game. Let me see if I am understanding this, you said guests picked their favorites and were evenly split? So some preferred crock pot ribs to egged ribs?
    Thanks! Nothing beats egged ribs for me, but to each their own. After serving a lot of cooks to a lot of people, I've accepted the fact that not everyone loves smoke as much as I do. The other two flavors were tasty...
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Ryezza said:
    Thanks! Nothing beats egged ribs for me, but to each their own. After serving a lot of cooks to a lot of people, I've accepted the fact that not everyone loves smoke as much as I do. The other two flavors were tasty...
    Yeah, I guess everybody is different. All the ribs do look good. We have a family member who will only eat canned biscuits, says she does not like real, homemade biscuits...baffles me.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great looking meal!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Curious -  why the two different temperature periods in the sous vide ribs?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Ryezza said:
    Yeah, I guess everybody is different. All the ribs do look good. We have a family member who will only eat canned biscuits, says she does not like real, homemade biscuits...baffles me.
    @20stone will take great offense to this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ryezza
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Curious -  why the two different temperature periods in the sous vide ribs?
    Mostly because I was lazy. I generally prefer sous vide ribs at 165 for 12 hours versus 155 for 24. In this case I only had 18 hours and I didn't want to wake up at 4AM to fire them up at 165, so I started them at 155 the night before and then turned them up when I woke up to reduce the risk of overcooking them.
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    all look good
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Nice spread, please put your (exact) location in your signature so I know where to show up next time.