Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Smoker Envy

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,844
I don’t get smoker envy often. 

This belongs to an acquaintance who competed today at the San Antonio Stock Show BBQ Cook-off. They’ve put 27 briskets on it at once and said it could have handled more. This isn’t his completion smoker. But he was cooking a 75 pound pig on it - and the pig was laying transversely across it - because it is THAT wide. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Not a spot on his entire outfit - I'm thinking this was a photo op?

Phoenix 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @blasting, he parks it with his two other smokers at the BBQ cookoff every year and uses it for the whole pig and a few other things. This one is displayed most prominently. I suspect he keeps it in a garage or warehouse when it is not in use because it is perfectly clean as you point out. He welded it himself with the help of some of his team members. 

Im thinking this might even give @SGH smoker envy. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    It’s a good looking rig, the style of door intrigues me as they open to the side, rather than up. I also wonder if it is separate chambers for different temps? Pretty slick. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Jstroke, it is all one reverse flow chamber.  It has 2 grate levels and there is a little temperature drop across it.  The 3 thermometers all read within 20 degrees of each other whenever I've seen it in use.  The temp on the top grate runs a little hotter than the temp on the bottom grate.  From the top grate on one end to the bottom grate on the other end it seems like there is probably a 40 degree difference.   

San Antonio, TX

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Interesting, gotta admit pretty sharp
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Pretty cool. 

If you offload the Del Sol, you’ll have more room to park it in your driveway :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.