Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Depot; The Good and the Bad

Options

I just joined RD and am seeing the good and the bad.

The good- good quality, large selection and low prices.

The bad- good quality, large selection and low prices.

I went there to just get a rack of beef ribs being $5/ lb. I got there and they were sold out. I start looking thru their angus brisket packers. I picked thru about 20 of them and found 3 that were more flexible than any other brisket. I picked up two 17 lbs, one 15 lb, a prime rib roast and 4 packs of pork tenderloins.

A bit excessive being I don't have any entertaining plans this weekend and am single. I have a lot to smoke and freeze. My neighbors are going to love me...

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,802
    Options
    Restaurant Depot kicks a$$. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,054
    Options
    Which Restaurant Depot? St. Paul? The one in Brooklyn Center doesn't carry Royal Oak. I know the one in St. Paul has carried in the past 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,655
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Please let us know your thoughts on the RD brisket after you smoke it.  I haven’t cooked one from there yet. 

Oh - and nice haul! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Which Restaurant Depot? St. Paul? The one in Brooklyn Center doesn't carry Royal Oak. I know the one in St. Paul has carried in the past 

I go to the Brooklyn Center location. Some day I would like to see the St. Paul store. The BC location has RO red bags 20 lbs but I can get the RO 8.8 lb for $5.00. That is cheaper than RD red bags. Today I paid $5.77/ bag at Menards. I ran out and will stop in at Menards watching for their $5.00/ bag sale and grab 60 bags.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    Please let us know your thoughts on the RD brisket after you smoke it.  I haven’t cooked one from there yet. 

Oh - and nice haul! 

I typically get large choice brisket packers from a butcher shop. My last brisket from the butcher was a 14.5 lbs and I trimmed 62 oz of fat. After that, I was either getting a Costco or RD membership.

I got my RD membership and picked up a choice Superior Angus 15 lb brisket. They had regular choice brisket ($3.29/ lb) and superior angus ($3.54/ lb). I put it on Christmas morning with my same set-up. My family was blown away at how much better this one was than my other briskets. It was crazy good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    The good - Everything.  

The bad - Nothing.  

There is no more.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,365
    Options
    There is an RD in Indy but the reviews via Google are terrible. Half rotten veg, terrible customer service etc... It's the only one nearby 

SWMBO has 501c3 status so I may join and go see for myself 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bigguy136
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    There is an RD in Indy but the reviews via Google are terrible. Half rotten veg, terrible customer service etc... It's the only one nearby 

SWMBO has 501c3 status so I may join and go see for myself 

Membership is free.

It's nothing like a regular grocery store. There were whole goats (less hide, guts and head) inside a cloth bag with 1 end open laying on the floor. There were bags of meat that have been handled causing a tear and that liquid puddle on the floor. Not many speak English. I'm going for the meat and not the fluff.

I have a side business in design work. I went there and they wanted proof of resale, tax use license, a business selling food, food truck, anything. I told them I develop and sell recipes and I don't resell the food. A few funny looks and I had 2 membership cards in my hand.

Check it out.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Trying to find an 'in' to join. One close to home.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    KCBS membership used to get you in.  Find a friend who's a member and get a card from them.  that's my in.
    Options
    KCBS membership used to get you in.  
    Still does. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Still does. 
    Wasn't sure, good to know, Mike.
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Still does. 
    Wasn't sure, good to know, Mike.

It is a national corporate policy. Bring this with you:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I use my KCBS card to get in RD at least a few times a year. It's a really interesting place to shop.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    The RD located in Birmingham AL is a pretty low end place, very dirty and run down. The only good thing about it is it's free to shop there. No membership required for anyone.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have been to the one in Wilmington DE a few times. No great shakes, not the most organized, but definitely far from intolerable. 
    Yesterday went to the one In Philly which is right by the stadiums. What a difference!  Super clean, easily 3 times bigger and a much much much larger variety of merchandise, especially when it came to the non-perishable and seasonings.  The meat was very similar for the larger cuts, but the fish section was 2x bigger and the lunch meat/cheese sections were much larger that the Wilmington location. One thing I noticed in the Philly location, you could buy rabbits either by the case or individually. Not in DE. Just happened to notice them. 

Next time I go, it will be to Philly again unless I am driving by the DE location and I need something I know they have. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    The Brooklyn Park one is one of the few in the country that doesn't require a membership.  I know the new manager of that location.  I would expect it to take some time but you will see the appearance and staff quality going up over time knowing him.