Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pre Shave Oil

Options
RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
@SGH  Any thoughts on the subject?  
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    No @SGH here but a couple of gallons of mazzola oil and two plastic sheets worked wonders in my youth.  Even if you forgot about the shave deal.  =)
    Merry Christmas-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @lousubcap.  Very nice visual touch with the “plastic sheet” description!  Merry Christmas! 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm not SGH and this isn't an oil, but I absolutely love it as a pre shave!

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’ve tried many things. Currently, I’m using a combination of olive oil and Noxzema. It works pretty well and is a fraction of the price of dedicated pre-shave oil. 
  • RedSkip
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Hub and @GrateEggspectations Recently read about Cremo as a Pre Shave, what’s your method for applying?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hub
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Hub and @GrateEggspectations Recently read about Cremo as a Pre Shave, what’s your method for applying?
    The key is to make sure your hands are wet.  I squeeze out a bit of lotion the size of a nickle or so, unless my beard is really thick, and then a do the size of a quarter.  Splash it with hot water.  Rub hands together until it is spread thin, and then rub into face and neck.  You will get an instant cooling sensation.  In fact, some days I don't even do after shave because the Cremo pre shave already has my skin so cool.  It's thin enough that it won't clog your razor, and is the perfect base for a thicker lather.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Hub said:
    The key is to make sure your hands are wet.  I squeeze out a bit of lotion the size of a nickle or so, unless my beard is really thick, and then a do the size of a quarter.  Splash it with hot water.  Rub hands together until it is spread thin, and then rub into face and neck.  You will get an instant cooling sensation.  In fact, some days I don't even do after shave because the Cremo pre shave already has my skin so cool.  It's thin enough that it won't clog your razor, and is the perfect base for a thicker lather.
    Thanks!  I’ll give it a shot.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hub
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Hub said:
    Thanks!  I’ll give it a shot.
    Let us know how it goes, and remember that it is concentrated.  You must mix it with water.  My first couple of times I applied it dry, and was very disappointed.  A little hot water makes all the difference.  Btw - you can get it at Wal Mart.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hub has got it covered above. 

A few additional tips... For best shave, do it immediately after a hot shower. Rather than pre-shave oil, hair conditioner will also do an admirable job. As far as razor, if you haven’t given them a go, try a good quality double edge safety razor. Much closer and less irritation than a cartridge razor - not to mention much cheaper after you factor in blade costs. 

I shave my entire head every single day with the tips used above with fantastic results. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    I occasionally use Proraso as a pre-shave. I can't tell a difference really other than it seems to clog the razor a bit 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hub said:
    I'm not SGH and this isn't an oil, but I absolutely love it as a pre shave!

I use and recommend Cremo myself as a preshave. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RedSkip
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations. I have recently converted from Beard Life to DE shaving, within the last three days.  Feel naked after 8 years with a beard, but I’ll get over it.  

I have have a sampler pack of blades, currently running Derby (mild) and plan to work my way up to Feathers.

Thanks for the conditioner tip, have plenty of that in the shower.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Give me a little while and I will offer some info my friend. I’m busy deheading shrimp and making a roux at the moment. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RedSkip
    Options
    SGH said:
    RedSkip said:
    Give me a little while and I will offer some info my friend. I’m busy deheading shrimp and making a roux at the moment. 
    No rush, don’t want your phone smelling like seafood...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    SGH said:
    RedSkip said:
    No rush, don’t want your phone smelling like seafood...
    It’s alright... many of his recent posts already reek of fish.  ;)
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @GrateEggspectations. I have recently converted from Beard Life to DE shaving, within the last three days.  Feel naked after 8 years with a beard, but I’ll get over it.  

I have have a sampler pack of blades, currently running Derby (mild) and plan to work my way up to Feathers.

Personally, I found Feathers too aggressive when I tried them. I’m a fan of the Astras. 

A few months back, I bought a Rockwell 6S and couldn’t be happier. A quality piece that yields great, great results.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations. Lots of reading recently has shown that Rockwell is having QC issues.  The heads are not aligning properly.  I steered away but was looking heavily at the 6S too.  Glad your purchase worked out well for you.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hub
    Options
    RedSkip said:

I prefer

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @GrateEggspectations. Lots of reading recently has shown that Rockwell is having QC issues.  The heads are not aligning properly.  I steered away but was looking heavily at the 6S too.  Glad your purchase worked out well for you.
    Strange. I am guessing this must be very recent, as I researched the hell out of the 6S before ordering and didn’t come across any red flags. Mine is absolutely flawless and shaves commensurately. Couldn’t be happier. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    For preshave oil I use water soluble from Executive Shave Co. far superior to that stuff from the Art of Shaving
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited February 7
    Options
    My prep consists of putting a hot towel on my face for about three minutes then I have at it. Don't have access to some pre-shave oil at the moment and I think my prep needs a ton of work. Any ideas for an easy homemade JPost advisor beard oil? or any tips on a better pre-shave? I think my shaves would be better if I put more effort into the pre-shave part.. cheers
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    edited February 7
    Options
    And then along comes Jones... aka jonessteave but the jones bot has no value add.  
    A link:
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.