Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a carb counter table

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,920
Neighbors' two adult sons and wives are coming back to IL for a visit at Christmas. In the past I have baked them one of the triple chocolate and Kahlua cakes. One son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after spending 3 days in ICU. Since there will be 6 adults there I kinda hate to say "5 of you can eat this but 1 of you can't" nor say "5 of you can't have this because 1 of you can't".

Get my drift?

Is there some web site where I can load in all the ingredients so the son's wife can compute whether he can have any cake that day? TIA

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,044
    Options
    I can't help but that's  very considerate of you
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Neighbors' two adult sons and wives are coming back to IL for a visit at Christmas. In the past I have baked them one of the triple chocolate and Kahlua cakes. One son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after spending 3 days in ICU. Since there will be 6 adults there I kinda hate to say "5 of you can eat this but 1 of you can't" nor say "5 of you can't have this because 1 of you can't".

Get my drift?

Is there some web site where I can load in all the ingredients so the son's wife can compute whether he can have any cake that day? TIA
    My fitness pal is really
    good for that. Will break down all the sugars and carbs (and everything else) for you. . 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I'm not aware of any websites but there are several apps for the IPhone and I assume there are Android apps too.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Provide options as you undoubtedly plan to do.  He’ll be way ahead of you.  Good of you to be so considerate. Merry Christmas Ron!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I’m guessing I’m guessing he’ll know what not to eat.  I’m also guessing that triple chocolate Kahula cake is a resounding no.  Maybe there is a good sugar free desert to also provide?  Sugar free pudding?  Just spit balling here. 

Great gesture. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Plenty of carb counting apps if you use the google machine

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    Guess I should have said that I am one of the 1% in the world who is not on facebook PLUS don't even own a Smart phone so "apps" don't mean swat to me.

I fully understand he should not either eat this or that since I am a type 2 diabetic myself. BUT what I'd like to find is a site where I can enter the specific ingredients as well as the quantity so his wife who is the "calculator" will know what a slice of my cake is all about.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Squat might lend better than swat.  Not spellchecker or anything.
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Thanks, Doc.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    Thanks, Doc.
    Merry Christmas Ron.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    You might be surprised. As noted above, the “1” will know what is OK and what can be handled, your part is to know the contents for non-commercial products. Every diabetic I’ve known, including my type II self, can tolerate just about anything once in a while. It is all about some restrictive moderation, like the monkey bread I had a small serving of tonight.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    This is a great resource for this. Used to be free, but I haven't checked in a while.

it used to allow one to enter all the ingredients for a recipe, and how many servings it made. It would then give you the breakdown for a single serving of the recipe. 

Diabetes management isn't about never eating  carbohydrates ever again. Its about consuming them judiciously. So yes, a diabetic can eat cake.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    This is a great resource for this. Used to be free, but I haven't checked in a while.

it used to allow one to enter all the ingredients for a recipe, and how many servings it made. It would then give you the breakdown for a single serving of the recipe. 

Diabetes management isn't about never eating  carbohydrates ever again. Its about consuming them judiciously. So yes, a diabetic can eat cake.
    Still free. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:

Still free. 
    The only cost is the inconvenience of putting up with their privacy breaches. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    If this is so important to your friend then just five her a list of the ingredients. She will most likely be equipped and prepared to do the math.

Most people on a low carb type diet know what they can and can't do. Like someone else said its not no carbs but moderation that is key.

Or just ask her what to fix for dessert.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Agree with Centex that MyFitnessPal will do this.  You can do it from their web site for free, but you do have to sign up. 

You can try importing the recipe from another site or manually search and add each ingredient and match against their food database. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.