Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Imagitronix Meat Team ........

Options
2»

Comments

• lentsboy007
    Options
    Botch said:
    I read several of the tabs, they claim it is not a thermometer but they don't say what it IS...  :confused:

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @BBQ_Gator you should hook someone here up with a free one for testing. There’s a lot of people around here that like to buy new toys if it really is a good product. 
  • BBQ_Gator
    Options
    @BBQ_Gator I am just going to be frank and I do not want to come off as a ass but I’m going to give it to you straight.   

Your marketing is terrible.

Hire someone to help you market your gadget. 

You are obviously a smart inventor, you cannot do it all brother. 

A Brief infomercial type video that shows the advantages your gadget offers over conventional methods of checking doneness maybe.

The video on your website showing you squeezing a chicken breast to death with welding gloves on in a attempt to gather pink chicken juice in a shot glass, I don’t know man, not sure that’s helping you.
     (You could cook two side by side and weigh them for example, maybe cut it and bite into it and say mmm. Something) 

Hopefully this comes off as constructive criticism, what triggered my comment was your earlier comment

“ When you're a new startup it's important to determine the best places to put your resources.”

It’s time to shift focus. 
    Thanks for the great advice.  I think it is time to put on the other hat. There are some potential rebranding projects in the works, much like BGE did with Flame Boss, etc. That will help but we could use some organic sales from our own marketing.

The chicken juice in that video was actually the color of chicken noodle soup, rather than pink. Maybe there was a problem with the white balance in the image, I don't know. But I see what you mean.  It looks pink and there's no way a customer would know otherwise.  That can't help our cause. Thanks for pointing that out.

The "Rob" video on the website does compare identical chicken breasts, with one cooked with a Meatrix and one cooked to the traditional 165 F.  That comparison does make a much more powerful statement, showing chicken cooked with the Meatrix System is twice as juicy as chicken cooked to the traditional temperature, even though both meet USDA pasteurization standards.  This comparison is exactly what we did (but using a different heat source) at The World Food Championships.  We also used a tool for the chicken squeezing, to ensure both breasts were squeezed the same.  Like in all of our tests, the Meatrix chicken was twice as juicy.  That direct comparison convinced everyone that saw the comparison that the technology was a real thing.  That and cooking steaks side by side with various meat thermometers are probably why we sold every unit we brought to the Championships.  Pretty much proves your suggestion about cooking side by side is the way to go.

Thanks again.  I appreciate you taking the time to look into the product and providing some good, constructive suggestions.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Between either Ron Popeil or the Shaw Wow dude (although he is partial to stuff made by the Germans) they would sell a ton of these.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am curious...if it is not a thermometer, what kind of sensor does it use? What does it measure?  Conductivity?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    It’s a thermometer probe. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It’s a thermometer probe. 
    Sub-atomic, directional, predictive thermometer.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I forgot to mention nano and molecular.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Where is @JohnInCarolina when you need him?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    As the developer said - the gizmo measures the "energy impulse" - temp over time. I'm guessing they have some algorithm they developed that compares temp rise over time to determine the "energy impulse" end result without relying completely on the actual indicated temp when their computer goes "ding" telling you it's done.
    Or, it could they use some sub-atomic, directional, predictive thermometer covered in nanobots that observe the cook on the molecular level.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Where is @JohnInCarolina when you need him?
    Roamin the streets of NYC.....and eating chestnuts I am guessing. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    As the developer said - the gizmo measures the "energy impulse" - temp over time. I'm guessing they have some algorithm they developed that compares temp rise over time to determine the "energy impulse" end result without relying completely on the actual indicated temp when their computer goes "ding" telling you it's done.
    Or, it could they use some sub-atomic, directional, predictive thermometer covered in nanobots that observe the cook on the molecular level.
    Right.

It sounds like they're trying to quantify the amount of thermal energy transfer, versus just relying on the IT of the meat as a singular metric.  That said, how are they measuring how much thermal energy is transferred?  Almost certainly with a temperature measurement. 

So, maybe. maybe. There is an algorithm that can more accurately predict carryover cooking based on the rate of thermal energy transfer.  But at the end of the day, this is a thermometer, tied to a computer, that is making some approximation for you.  I wish they would just say that instead of beating around the bush.   
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited February 2020
    Options
    It’s too complicated for the average consumer to wrap their head around. Too much money would have to be spent in an effort to try and educate the public. Perhaps there are some other applications that this type of temperature meaurement would be beneficial (profitable) but grilling isn’t it. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    To me , I think it's a PID algorithm but controlling nothing just “ foods ready in 5 minutes “ based upon the approach 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Pasteurization is typically defined in terms of temperature and amount of time at temp. My guess is for the meats that must meet a level of pasteurization like pork/chicken, they are likely comparing the temp response over time to determine done or better termed “pasteurized.”  I would guess a bunch of lookup tables for the selected meat and once the temp surpasses the min temp for pasteurization the timer starts.  Temp keeps rising, the pasteurization time required will drop.  

FDA has tables out there on this, just need to write the simple algorithm to track.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FRPubs/97-013P/COMPLIANCE%20GUIDELINES%20FOR%20RTE%20MEAT%20AND%20POULTRY.doc

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Pasteurization is typically defined in terms of temperature and amount of time at temp. My guess is for the meats that must meet a level of pasteurization like pork/chicken, they are likely comparing the temp response over time to determine done or better termed “pasteurized.”  I would guess a bunch of lookup tables for the selected meat and once the temp surpasses the min temp for pasteurization the timer starts.  Temp keeps rising, the pasteurization time required will drop.  

FDA has tables out there on this, just need to write the simple algorithm to track.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FRPubs/97-013P/COMPLIANCE%20GUIDELINES%20FOR%20RTE%20MEAT%20AND%20POULTRY.doc

This makes the most logical sense to me. And is actually pretty cool. Something many of us are already doing in our heads, but not something most of the general public is even aware is possible.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BBQ_Gator
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    HeavyG said:
    Right.

It sounds like they're trying to quantify the amount of thermal energy transfer, versus just relying on the IT of the meat as a singular metric.  That said, how are they measuring how much thermal energy is transferred?  Almost certainly with a temperature measurement. 

So, maybe. maybe. There is an algorithm that can more accurately predict carryover cooking based on the rate of thermal energy transfer.  But at the end of the day, this is a thermometer, tied to a computer, that is making some approximation for you.  I wish they would just say that instead of beating around the bush.   
    Pretty astute guys. Where meat thermometers rely on some given temperature value to determine doneness, The Meatrix doesn't. It does measure temperature and displays temperature like a meat thermometer but it uses a more sophisticated, and accurate, technique to determine doneness and to determine if the meat is properly pasteurized. So we would be horribly inaccurate to call it a meat thermometer. We needed some way to make it clear this wasn't meat thermometer like you've been able to buy for 50+ years.
  • BBQ_Gator
    Options
    It’s too complicated for the average consumer to wrap their head around. Too much money would have to be spent in an effort to try and educate the public. Perhaps there are some other applications that this type of temperature meaurement would be beneficial (profitable) but grilling isn’t it. 

It's only complicated under the hood. In reality is very easy to use. Even a 5 year old can use it. But there is a need to educate the public as to why they should use a Meatrix instead of meat thermometers. Usually one demonstration is all it takes but most people don't realize that there is a better way.
  • BBQ_Gator
    Options

This makes the most logical sense to me. And is actually pretty cool. Something many of us are already doing in our heads, but not something most of the general public is even aware is possible.
    You guys are really good. You're almost perfectly on target. No lookup tables or elapsed time measurements are used but you're really close and spot on with your grasp of the concept.