Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg must haves

Options
2»

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    The only must have IMO is a way to cook indirect. I egged for years with one accessory; the plate setter.  I even egged for a year or so before that with just three fire bricks and a borrowed grate from my Weber. After that get a good instant read thermometer (I bought a thermopen).  After that .........well then it becomes an addiction.
    Agree.  Bought my egg in 2011 and didn’t get an accessory for the inside until 2018 (other than v rack type stuff).  Just used the plate setter until I saw the light of an AR with extender from CGS just recently.  It would be hard to go back to my old setup but I made just as good food with it. 

That being said, I wish I’d bought the AR earlier.  It has turned my egg into my go-to grill as well and the gasser is now an egg accessory storage unit.  
  • okie
    okie Posts: 33
    Options
    Smobot. Absolute incredibly well designed and functional temperature controller. Turns the BGE into a precisely controlled oven. Simple design that works exceptionally well and Wi-Fi implementation and remote control over the net is as good as it can get. Highly recommend.
    Muskogee, OK LBGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A lot of these “must haves” are a lot closer to “nice to haves”.  Just an observation from the resident sh!t-stirrer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Impulse Resistance 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dmb3739
    Options
    Surprised no one mentioned this already. I love my Grillgrates. Great for searing and leaves great grill marks. Check 'em out!
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Buy your egg new so you have a lifetime warranty :)
    Pratt, KS
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Dmb3739 said:
    Surprised no one mentioned this already. I love my Grillgrates. Great for searing and leaves great grill marks. Check 'em out!
    you should sear in cast iron not for grill marks, yes they are pretty but you are missing some really good flavor in between the.  the half moon griddle or CI pan is really good for that

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• coachbriseno
    Options
    Thermapen, Kick ash basket, CGS Woo, Gloves, Quality Knives
    Not all are necessary, but they do improve the experience.
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX