Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket HELP!

Options
wbdvt
wbdvt Posts: 13
I am doing a brisket 6.5 lbs and following a recipe that has it at 250 deg F indirect until meat temp is 150 deg F and then reduce egg to 225 deg F until brisket is 185 deg F and when a fork is stuck in and twisted, meat falls apart.
My brisket has been on the egg about 2 hrs and meat temp is 165 deg F.  I double check with a needle thermometer and same results but it is very tough going in.  Recipe said 8-10 hrs.  What is going on and where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    A brisket won’t be tender at 185, where did the recipe come from?
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Please don't stick a fork in and twist your brisket.  you are going to cook until it probes tender (like buttah in the parlance of eggdom).

What grade is the cut you purchased?
    Have you calibrated your thermo on the egg?

It is pretty likely that you are going to be at 165 for several hours, so don't panic about it galloping to completion just yet.

I suspect that in about 6 hours you may be wondering why it is only at 185.

You are probably going to find the brisket is tender at 195 to 205...

Good luck, report back
  • wbdvt
    Options
    Thank you all, I won't panic yet as there is always pizza!  haha
    Here is where the receipe is from:  https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/beef-brisket/

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Whoever is in charge of brisket recipes at the mothership needs a different job. 
  • wbdvt
    Options
    Ok, recommendations seem to be let it go to 195-205?  I intend to FTC at the end for an hour or so.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Reads a lot like Dr BBQ's brisket flat recipe-linked here for the next time:

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Let it go until it proves with no resistance.  Don’t worry about temp, and don’t worry about lowering the egg temp.  That’s unnecessary.  It’s going to be in the 195-205 range depending on the cow.  

For FTC, be sure to let it rest unwrapped for 30-45 minutes or it will continue cooking in the foil and be overdone and falling apart.  
  • wbdvt
    Options
    looks like it will probably be done in less than the 10hrs planned?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    It’ll likely stall again at 185 ish.  You can FTC for hours, or if your oven will hold 170, wrap and stick in there for even longer. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook."  Just adapt to the curve balls throughout the cook and trust the feel for the finish-line. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    I don't think Dr. BBQ is really a doctor.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited December 2018
    Options
    wbdvt said:
    Ok, recommendations seem to be let it go to 195-205?  I intend to FTC at the end for an hour or so.
    Start checking around 195. Take your temp
    probe and run it all the way through from top to bottom in the thickest part of the brisket. When it goes through with very little resistance, it’s ready. A lot of people say it should feel like butter but I like to say it it should feel  like cake. It’s there but does not give a lot of resistance. Cold butter would be too firm. I find this to be around 200-203 most of the time. Some go at 195, some go 205- just keep checking until it “gives up”. They are never ready at 185 and you should never twist a fork in a brisket. That is terrible advice from bge right there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I think the original saying is more like "like a hot knife through butter".  We seem to have shortened it up a bit. Doesn't mean literally butter, but "easily".
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• wbdvt
    Options
    Pulled it at 200, let sit for about 20 mins, foil with a cup of beef broth, wrapped with towel into warm cooler.
  • wbdvt
    Options
    Thank you all for your help.  It came out okay, next time I would probably pull it a little sooner.  But may have been the cut also
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    Doing just a flat is much more challenging than doing a packer.  I haven't seen a lot of prime flats around so good chance you started off with a slight handicap.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Whoever is in charge of brisket recipes at the mothership needs a different job. 
    Or taken out to the woodshed for a beating. One of those things.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike