Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making sausage

Options
I’ve got a hankering to make some of my own sausage (link and bulk) as well as some brats and other yummy stuff. What do y’all use to grind and stuff?
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Started with a Harbor Freight $50.00 grinder with stuffer attachment, bought a LEM 5 pound dedicated stuffer ...then bought a LEM #12 Grinder , finally an,LEM Motorized Stuffer...The 50.00 grinder did a great job and is still in use today by the person I gifted it to 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I use a kitchen aide mixer attachment.  It isn’t the fastest, but it does the job and I have done a ton of grinding. Especially during deer season-more than 25 years worth plus all the friends etc. I only do bulk, and couldn’t/wouldn’t justify a seperate grinder. Maybe I should have. But have never used anything else so can’t compare. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i use the kitchen aid as well, grinding up to 20 pounds is fine with it, stuffing 20 pounds with that attachment is not. i do use the attachment for small grinds enough to keep it, you need larger plate sizes which are found on ebay. the plates that come with the attachment are too small
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    lkapigian, can you tell me your opinion of the electric stuffer. I've been looking at them. I recently bought the LEM 32 grinder. Now I'm looking at the mixer as well as the stuffer. Normally work alone so that seems to make more sense for me. Please let me know what you think of it. Thanks. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Leave it to Larry @lkapigian :lol:
    That is a boss sausage making machine!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Moleman said:
    lkapigian, can you tell me your opinion of the electric stuffer. I've been looking at them. I recently bought the LEM 32 grinder. Now I'm looking at the mixer as well as the stuffer. Normally work alone so that seems to make more sense for me. Please let me know what you think of it. Thanks. 
    @moleman, I love it I only wished I got the 30# Model--inevitably you need more--20# of protein by the time you add dry and wet ingredients puts you aver that mark ( same with any stuffer ) so 15#'s of protein for the 20 Pounder is just right

I have put several hundred pounds , the motor takes the abuse with Stiff Sausage, it also comes with a Hand Crank that I have never used, clean up is a breeze and the speed is fully adjustable 

I set it up on my sink, sausage right into a sterile wash bay

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@lkapigian has the setup that separates the men from the boys.

I've had the lem 12 for a few months.  The thing is a beast - heavy duty and seemingly well made.  @Moleman has the 32 - you can probably run trees through it!

Phoenix 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I’m using this attachment for the Hobart A200. I am making 25# of jalapeño cheddar sausage, and 20# each of sweet and hot Italian this weekend. I want to check out how the stuffer part of this works. I’m secretly hoping that it doesn’t work worth a crap so that I can justify the motorized stuffer. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Awesome @CTMike !  65 # through the attachment will be fun!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Fun like digging a ditch fun?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    CTMike said:
    lkapigian said:

Ha ha...you will want a dedicated stuffer for sure--If anything using the attachment changes the texture going through the auger again and ( I assume) the Kidney plate ....If you do that quantity it is money well spent on a dedicated stuffer and a Plus with motorized 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    CTMike said:
    lkapigian said:

Ha ha...you will want a dedicated stuffer for sure--If anything using the attachment changes the texture going through the auger again and ( I assume) the Kidney plate ....If you do that quantity it is money well spent on a dedicated stuffer and a Plus with motorized 

I do have the kidney plate. Plan is to double grind using the coarse plate. Guess I will be buying the 30 lb motorized version after the first of the year.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    CTMike said:
    lkapigian said:
    CTMike said:
    lkapigian said:

I do have the kidney plate. Plan is to double grind using the coarse plate. Guess I will be buying the 30 lb motorized version after the first of the year.
    Please share your results when done!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Options

This is pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkcOav9Hw8E

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I lost a pant size watching that =)  Dakotah Meats makes one you can get on Amazon for around $130.00
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian