Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don’t Buy Romaine Lettuce

Options
Not safe to eat, warning just issued by the CDC:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/romaine-lettuce-is-not-safe-to-eat-cdc-warns-us-consumers/2018/11/20/726d0ae6-ece9-11e8-96d4-0d23f2aaad09_story.html

E. coli is not a guest you want at your house this holiday season friends.  If you picked up any of this recently, just trash it.  Don’t think twice about it.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    thats just great, im allergic to it and now its got e coli to boot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Cesar Salad for lunch today. 💩
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Not even for the in-laws?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Not safe to eat, 
    I have been saying that for years. If it’s green, don’t eat it. Feed it to the animals that you are going to eat =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Cesar Salad for lunch today. 💩
    I had some for dinner Sunday and leftovers lunch yesterday.  It's been a nice run.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up...after I had a salad for lunch. I guess if anyone wants to call dibs on Cabin 2 at Butt Blast they can have it, I might not be around...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Have eaten it for the last 4 days- will trash the rest. Thanks for the heads up. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up...after I had a salad for lunch. I guess if anyone wants to call dibs on Cabin 2 at Butt Blast they can have it, I might not be around...
    My plan is taking shape.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Fake news!   Eat away!
    Memphis, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    Fake news!   Eat away!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fear mongering!
    Options
    Diahrrea inducing foods are on the weight loss forum!
    Memphis, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "The agency also advised consumers to wash and sanitize drawers and shelves where the lettuce was stored. People usually become sick within three or four days of consuming lettuce contaminated with the E. coli, according to the CDC."

Grumpy says - "you aren't out of the woods yet, kids!"

Image result for poop emoji

Options
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    SWMBO, has fed me steady diet of salads the last 3 days,hmm........ me thinks she might be trying to help me lose a few lbs. before our trip to NYC next weekend !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Man not again. Last time this happened I return the bag at Costco and they gave me the stink-eye. I eat about one head per day. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Will they be giving it away?

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    SWMBO came home tonight with a salad. She about killed me when I promptly grabbed it and pitched it in the trash. She said "I wanted salad to go with pizza" and I replied "I don't want you sheeting in bed" 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Will they be giving it away?
    E. coli and a pumpkin spice latte and you’d just about be set for the week!
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Do anyone give a shvt about our food safety anymore?  It seems like in the not so distant past when something like this happened you would eventually hear about the cause and huge fines levied at the producer or plant.

Now every three days something is recalled an we throw it away or take it back no big deal. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I stick to spinach.  It tastes better and has more nutrients.  Every damn day there's some food item being blacklisted.  Seems like we should start growing our own vegetables since food safety only concerns consumers.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    My wish is to have a giant garden on my property to eat fresh veggies when we can and preserve the extra for the cold months. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I don't have an issue with green groceries- enjoy hatch chilies, jalapenos, serranos and oysters Rockefeller.  May have missed something but that's about the sum of my green adventures.  Feeling somewhat vindicated here.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    We were approved for a grant to purchase a 30x96’ high tunnel. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    My wife is pregnant and became really ill yesterday at work. So much that I had to pick her up from work and drive her home. The OB said it wasn’t likely a pregnancy thing and more likely some sorta bug — they’ve been getting a ton of calls the past couple of days.  We are wondering if it’s the lettuce as well.  Best to not chance it from here on out and stick with meat and potatoes the next few days. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I don't trust the government and its time to dispel their lies! I'm doubling down on romaine. All meals. We'll see. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    My wife is pregnant and became really ill yesterday at work. So much that I had to pick her up from work and drive her home. The OB said it wasn’t likely a pregnancy thing and more likely some sorta bug — they’ve been getting a ton of calls the past couple of days.  We are wondering if it’s the lettuce as well.  Best to not chance it from here on out and stick with meat and potatoes the next few days. 
    Oh man Craig that is pretty scary.  Hope she's feeling better today?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It’s not the lettuce, that’s just to throw us off.  The E. coli is in the contrails.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Let’s break this down a bit. If this recall includes everything, it must be inherit to the plant...and not the region, handling, processing / packaging etc.. I have not read up on this....and likly want due to laziness around the Holliday. What is really the root cause of this issue?

This is really quite sad as romaine / Caesar  is one of my favorites.  It's a shame I tell ya.