Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

44 Farms - Is it all that?

Options
After ordering a gift pack for relatives, I wondered if 44 Farms was as good as it appeared.  I rarely, if ever, order online beef.  But, for grins, I thought I would give it a spin.  I ordered 4 tenderloins, 8oz each.  I ordered this cut as it is what my wife and I eat most often, so it would make the best comparison.

It arrived very well packaged in a large styro box with enough dry ice to send it back.  Or to Europe.  Two went into the freezer for a later date, two into the fridge for dinner.

I season steaks with Kent Rathburn's Garlic Salt and BBQ Rub.  The first provides a nice garlic and salt base, the latter provides additional flavors of paprika, salt and sugar.  They are a great combo.

I cook my steaks at 400-425 direct.  Hot enough to provide a nice char, but not overly hot where the center is too cool and the outside too charred.  Using my medium egg for this cook.

No complaints at all with this.  Sorry I did not have a photo, but complemented the steaks with 'shrooms (butter, sherry, s/p, garlic and herbs) and some roasted butternut squash.  And a 2011 Gemstone Cabernet that is off the hook delicious. 

Bottom line, these steaks were excellent.  Tender as tender gets, with wonderful flavor.  Even though I live in Dallas, I would put these up against any from any steakhouse in town - and in Dallas, that's braggadocios.  Even the Mrs. was very impressed.  But, at $40 per 8oz filet, they are restaurant priced.   Yes, we will absolutely buy again.  Perhaps try some different cuts that are lower on the price scale.
XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great write up and photos. I would try a nice meat market in your area and buy the best cut they have. See how it compares to 44Farms.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Keep an on Creekstone Farms beef. I’ve been very pleased and have only bought products that were on sale. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    $80 a pound WOW 
    Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great write-up and cook.  Money shot for the win.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have only had their briskets and we used to buy  their top rounds to make sausage with as well. No complaints here but if it were $80lb as mentioned above I would look at snake river farms. @20stone had the hookup with 44 when he lived in Houston. Pretty sure he was buying out the back door (from the owner so no shady stuff going on). Excellent quality and very humanely raised beef. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    In the end game I'm with @Photo Egg about local sourcing.  I have enjoyed every hunk of protein from SRF.  Can't touch their briskets (by orders of magnitude) but find I can do quite well with local for great steaks.  However, If I am gonna up the level to wagyu that's a different story.  FWIW-
    Your $$, your time and effort-enjoy and you clearly and rightfully did. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Keep us informed as to their follow-on advertising, please.

I've tried one order from Omaha Steaks, a package deal with several cuts of meats, tater dishes, even a couple apple desserts.  A bit pricey, but good quality and the convenience was nice.

But then, It Started: at least two phone calls per day, 4 or 5 mailed advertisements/week, and countless emails daily.  I asked them, politely the first time, to back off, and it was only when I started sending cc;'s to my law firm (Dewey, Skrewum & Howe, Attorneys at Law) that they finally took my name off their harrass list.  Damn, that pissed me off.  

Good luck, and let us know!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've seen a info piece on 44 Farms on the Rural Farm Development channel (RFD)
    They are the real deal. They are heavily involved in cattle genetics for the purpose of producing superior beef.