Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Brined Spatchcock Chicken

Options
I was inspired by the Buttermilk Chicken thread. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216510/buttermilk-chicken/p1
I thought I’d cook a spatchcock chicken that had been brined in buttermilk for 24 hours. I wanted to play with a fun way to cook some stuffing too. 
So I picked up a chicken and brined it in salted buttermilk for 24 hours. I took it out of the refrigerator and let it drain a bit while it came to room temperature. 

I made some stuffing/dressing to bake inside a pumpkin. Couldn’t find a pie pumpkin at the store so I subbed in an acorn squash. 
Here’s the chicken ready to go into the oven. 

The squash takes a good 1 1/2 hours to cook. The chicken is usually 45-50 minutes. I always have to cover the chicken with foul up until the last 15 minutes or so or it gets too brown. 

I think the squash came out really well. 

The chicken was perfect. Legs at 189 degrees. The breast was 165. 

I want to cook a turkey this way. I think I’ll tweak the dressing recipe and find a pie pumpkin to cook it in. This would be fun to cook for guests. Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Way to go Sir!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Way to go Sir!!
    Thanks!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    How was the chicken with the buttermilk?
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Your cooks never disappoint! 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Legume said:
    It was tender and juicy. That said, I don’t know that it was significantly better than cooking a chicken the same way without the buttermilk. I usually salt the chicken and leave it in the fridge overnight. I think both ways produce similar results. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Your cooks never disappoint! 
    Thank you sir. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Man, that looks awesome!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Legume said:
    It was tender and juicy. That said, I don’t know that it was significantly better than cooking a chicken the same way without the buttermilk. I usually salt the chicken and leave it in the fridge overnight. I think both ways produce similar results. 
    Thanks for the feedback on this. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Nice!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,369
    Options
    Outstanding 
    Jacksonville FL
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    My god - I get an inferiority complex everytime I look at one of your cooks.   :o;):o:o Please post your address - I want to move in next door.  Great looking cook!!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SciAggie
    Options
    My god - I get an inferiority complex everytime I look at one of your cooks.   :o;):o:o Please post your address - I want to move in next door.  Great looking cook!!! 
    Lol - thanks for the kind words. I gained most of whatever cooking skills I have from the good folks on this forum. As for neighbors - there are lots available on my street. C’mon down...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I was inspired by the Buttermilk Chicken thread. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216510/buttermilk-chicken/p1
    I thought I’d cook a spatchcock chicken that had been brined in buttermilk for 24 hours. I wanted to play with a fun way to cook some stuffing too. 
    So I picked up a chicken and brined it in salted buttermilk for 24 hours. I took it out of the refrigerator and let it drain a bit while it came to room temperature. 

I made some stuffing/dressing to bake inside a pumpkin. Couldn’t find a pie pumpkin at the store so I subbed in an acorn squash. 
    Here’s the chicken ready to go into the oven. 

The squash takes a good 1 1/2 hours to cook. The chicken is usually 45-50 minutes. I always have to cover the chicken with foul up until the last 15 minutes or so or it gets too brown. 

I think the squash came out really well. 

The chicken was perfect. Legs at 189 degrees. The breast was 165. 

I want to cook a turkey this way. I think I’ll tweak the dressing recipe and find a pie pumpkin to cook it in. This would be fun to cook for guests. Thanks for looking. 
    Bumping, @SciAggie - I was thinking about doing the thanksgiving turkey this way come November. Have you tried this technique with a turkey yet?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Yes. I cooked a small 9 pound spatchcocked turkey and it was both easy and delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,522
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I want a poster of that.  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Still my man brother... great display on the squash
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Glad to hear - I’ll need to figure out how large of a turkey can fit through the opening. Any idea on what the cooking temp in the WFO was?  And it looks like you had a live flame, but covered the protein with foil, right?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Glad to hear - I’ll need to figure out how large of a turkey can fit through the opening. Any idea on what the cooking temp in the WFO was?  And it looks like you had a live flame, but covered the protein with foil, right?
    I think I threw a paper towel into the oven just to light the picture, lol. It’s easy to get the wfo too hot. There is no drop in temps like a home oven when you open and close the door (as you know). I’ve learned to try to just have some nice coals and a floor temp below 400 degrees. I usually have to cover chicken or turkey. If you put the legs close to the oven wall they cook faster. It’s pretty cool - the legs are usually at 185 degrees or more when the breast hits 165. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    It’s funny you bumped this thread because I was just thinking today I was about ready to cook another turkey. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Has to be one of my most favorite posts, ever. 
    This old guy loves chicken just about any wY you can cook it. This recipe adjusted to my XL, turns out the absolute perfect crispiness outside tender and moist inside you can ever make. I usually try to do two at a time.
    Thank you for posting this. Brilliant cook and presentation.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,793
    Options
    Great looking cook !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Fantastic as always.
    Greensboro North Carolina