Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Aaron Franlin's Turkey Breast

Southlake, TX, and Cowhouse Creek, Gatesville, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 12,833
    edited November 4
    Looks great!  I’ll definitely try that recipe.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,481
    Looks like looks like a winner!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 2,115
    Looks like a very nice warm-up cook! Did you use smoke wood and if so what kind?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 2,079
    minniemoh said:
    Looks like a very nice warm-up cook! Did you use smoke wood and if so what kind?
    I used some cherry..
    Southlake, TX, and Cowhouse Creek, Gatesville, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
    By the way.  The recipe I posted states 4 cups of rub, it is 1/4 cup...
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,248
    Looks great. 
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, Smobot, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• JacksDadJacksDad Posts: 470
    Looks awesome! 

Don't forget to dunk it in a bowl of melted butter as you serve it. That's what he does at his restaurant. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,806
    Yum
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BobDangerBobDanger Posts: 212
    Is it skinless? 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
    BobDanger said:
    Is it skinless?

Yes
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 6,178
    Nicely done.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 657
    Did the Franklin recipe as well this weekend.  Great cook! 
    Edina, MN

@Budgeezer ; Awesome!
  • SlippySlippy Posts: 46
    smbishop said:
    Did you brine the turkey? Was is pre-brined?  I have that same book and he does not mention brining, other than to not buy an injected turkey. On his YouTube channel, though, he does brine.. I usually do, but now I cannot decide which way to go... 
    Rockwall, TX Large BGE, Really old Oklahoma Joe offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... Future: Lone Star Grillz offset smoker. 
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,785
    did you load it up with butter and wrap, like he does at the restaurant. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    @Slippy I did not brine, it was not pre-brined.  Bought it at Central Market, no injection, around 5 pounds.

@tjv I did load it up with butter and wrap,  I deviated from the cook when I removed it at the end to rest.  I still needed to finish the sides, so I kept it wrapped in foil on the counter.  After an hour it was still around 165 instead of the recommended 140.  Next time I will leave it on the counter unwrapped,  However, I sliced it thin and it was still very moist, and the rub added the perfect amount of added flavor. 

@JacksDad Thanks for the suggestion, I will try dunking in butter before serving with leftovers reheated in the S.V.

During the prep, after removing the skin, I added the rub and let sit in the fridge uncovered for a couple of hours as I heated up the egg, etc.

For the rub, I added some granulated onion, garlic and paprika.  

• I don’t see the tub of butter his turkey sits in at the shop :)
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • TEXASBGE2018TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 1,567
    edited November 8
    Being in DFW, where did you buy the Whole Turkey breast? I don't think I've ever seen that, then again we don't eat turkey ever except holidays. Franklin's Turkey was some of the best I've ever had and I would love to replicate this.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, 36" Stainless Blackstone Griddle, Contemplating which size Egg to get next. Cast Iron Hoarder.

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"- Davy Crockett

@TEXASBGE2018 I bought it at Central Market.
    edited November 8
    I’m giving it a go. The turkey I bought was pre-brined. Hope that is not a fatal mistake. 
    Rockwall, TX Large BGE, Really old Oklahoma Joe offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... Future: Lone Star Grillz offset smoker. 
    I bet it will turn out great!
    smbishop said:
    I bet it will turn out great!
    It did turn out great. Really amazed at the moisture level. Even though I cooked a little longer that I should have (175° internal), once it rested and I cut into it, I could hear the meat squishing... Never had that happen before. Nice trial run for turkey day.. 
    Would this work with a boneless skinless frozen butterball turkey breast? That’s all I could find. Also if I am wanting to cook it tommorrow for dinner do I need to thaw it out completely or perhaps even brine it tonight?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, 36" Stainless Blackstone Griddle, Contemplating which size Egg to get next. Cast Iron Hoarder.

I think it would work just fine. Thawing a turkey takes a couple of days in my fridge. Being boneless, and probably smaller, it may not take as long to thaw. If nothing else, brining would probably speed that up. 
    This is about a 3 lb boneless skinless turkey breast. It’s in the fridge now to try and thaw overnight. If it’s still frozen at lunch I was going to try and leave it out for about an hour before cooking. Figured that’s not long enough to cause any issues.

• Wolfie51sbWolfie51sb Posts: 265
    Quick question: At the start of Step 3 when he says to wrap the turkey after it has turned golden, did you wrap it in foil or butcher paper? I understand using foil when you add the butter in the later step.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

I wrapped in foil...

• Wolfie51sbWolfie51sb Posts: 265
    Thanks. Egg is heating up now. Looking forward to this.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

So if I cook this thing at 275-300 indirect and it’s about 3lbs it should take about 2-3 hours correct?

So if I cook this thing at 275-300 indirect and it’s about 3lbs it should take about 2-3 hours correct?
    My 7 pounder took 3 hours, so I would guess 2ish???