Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Floppy little brisket

Options
going on in a few hours.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks like a nice one Darian.  Enjoy the ride and results brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Floppy for the win (at least with brisket =) )- Looks like a great hunk of protein right there.  You are in for some great fun with the cook and the follow-on groceries.  Enjoy the whole process.  Wish I was wrestling with brisket tonight.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks like lunch is covered for the next several weeks :o
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Linda and I will wave at Leroy tomorrow afternoon, then again the following Sunday. Hope he is watching. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Linda and I will wave at Leroy tomorrow afternoon, then again the following Sunday. Hope he is watching. 
    You must at least stop and give Judy a hug for me!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Floppy for the win (at least with brisket =) )- Looks like a great hunk of protein right there.  You are in for some great fun with the cook and the follow-on groceries.  Enjoy the whole process.  Wish I was wrestling with brisket tonight.
    This little brisket was so floppy it will fold in half. Never seen one like this before.
    It really has my hopes up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    Options
    With that flexibility you are golden.  Enjoy the finish line groceries. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I can’t wait to see this finished product!!!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Photo Egg
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Slowly bringing FB up to temp. Meat bribe is ambient air temp, brisket not on yet. went basic on seasoning with salt and pepper an post oak for smoke.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by with fork and plate for the finale.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    SGH said:
    Standing by with fork and plate for the finale.  
    Thanks buddy. Hitting some cognac and enjoying the ride
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    It’s cooking fast. Almost to to 160
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Looks great!   I hear good things about those Prime 1 briskets.   Keep the pics coming! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Do the Prime 1's come trimmed already?  Looks very different than by Costco packers with 3 pounds of hard fat on top!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Do the Prime 1's come trimmed already?  Looks very different than by Costco packers with 3 pounds of hard fat on top!
    They sell them trimmed and not trimmed. This was trimmed, and done very well. I just patted it dry and seasoned.
    I think it was a buck more a pound to buy it trimmed.
    Wrapped and resting now. Pulled it just over 200 degrees. About 14 hours at 230.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What time should we come over ? :smiley:

those HEB briskets are pretty good. I don’t do brisket that much, but I prefer them over the Costco ones. And although the market trimmed ones are more expensive, I figure it’s worth it, given that I’m not trimming a bunch of fat off. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    This is gonna be good...
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Wish we had HEB in NC...

also so wish I could video tape people’s expressions in Costco when I do the floppy flap - trying to find the floppiest briskets in the cooler. Kinda like a man cave version of the shake weight....

looks good so far!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Please allow me to make your brain hurt.

Think of room temperature fat.  What happens to that fat after it's been in the fridge for several hours?  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Beautiful! Good eats ahead.
    Snellville, GA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    cazzy said:

Think of room temperature fat.  What happens to that fat after it's been in the fridge for several hours?  
    Very valid point, sensei. And I readily concede that you have cooked waaaay more briskets than I have. I cook maybe 2-3/yr.

But, all fat is not the same fat. The "floppiness" test has some merit to it. Otherwise, every brisket of similar size and weight would flop pretty much the same out of the cooler. And there would be little difference in the way they cook. Maybe it has more to do with how the fat is distributed in a particular brisket vs. how much there is? I don't know.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2018
    Options
    cazzy said:

Well duh, it gets cold =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Best flavor of any brisket we have made, but little dryer than expected.
    should have let it rest uncovered a few minutes before foil rest. But I’m really just guessing.
    Thanks for following 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Yum!

Is that a Larch Wood of Canada cutting board?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    Options
    Now that is a protein banquet right there.  Congrats.  What a cutting board spread. 
    Great bark-rub?
    Regarding the cooling rack rest, highly recommended to stop the carry-over cooking if you were to go straight from the BGE to FTC.  If pressed for time and the friggin cow isn't quite there, you can go straight to FTC and take advantage of the carryover to force the cow across the finish-line.  Friggin cow  ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:

Yum!

Is that a Larch Wood of Canada cutting board?
    Thanks, yes, that’s my brothers Larch.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas