Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB Alternative

Options
Saw this on Amazon and decided to give it a try for the XL. It comes with a removable divider. It's built well, all stainless and the wire measure .235". Comes in $50 cheaper that the KAB for the XL. May have to consider this to replace a steel KAB in one of the larges.

If you want to check it out it's by a company called only fire. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks good
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Saw this on Amazon and decided to give it a try for the XL. It comes with a removable divider. It's built well, all stainless and the wire measure .235". Comes in $50 cheaper that the KAB for the XL. May have to consider this to replace a steel KAB in one of the larges.

If you want to check it out it's by a company called only fire. 

Chad (KAB) has gotten a several of those kicked off amazon because of patent infringement and since they are not stainless.  They claim to be, but they're just powder coated steel (which lets off toxic fumes when burned.)  I don't know about this one, but it looks like one of the Chinese counterfeit knockoffs he had to go after before.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    It appears that KAB only has a design patent not a utility patent. Their design patent pertains to the "ornamental look" of their basket whose main feature appears to be their "concentric circles" build:

The Onlyfire one has a different grid build layout so it probably is not violating the KAB design patent. KAB may well have other patents, I dunno, I didn't really do a deep dive into this. There are other patent holders for other charcoal baskets for kamados (e.g. US20140319027A1) and other companies such as KJ and Komodo Kamado may have bothered to patent their particular baskets - dunno.

I've bought some Onlyfire gear some years ago - a rotisserie setup I could use on my Weber Smokey Mountain - and it was legit stainless steel. No idea tho if the basket is legit SS but I would be surprised if it was not.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I have the only fire charcoal grates in my eggs. They work very well. 

Basket op posted looks stainless 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• deadlyfrog
    Options
    Love competition... 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    No comment.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    No comment.
    But you did  =)

• ColtsFan
    Options

Gave it the magnet test this morning  Doesn't stick. 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Not a true testing method....even for 300 series stainless, as you can work harden some 300 series to be slightly magnetic.  Also 300 series is rust resistant, not rust proof.

Did the Amazon page say 300 series stainless. If it only said stainless, my hunch is it's 200 series stainless which is more common in Asia and cheaper to produce, as it has less nickel and chromium than 300 series. 

There is not a reliable way for the buying public to consistently identify 200 and 300 series. If there is no QC/inspection process done during production, the US importer and general public must rely on the integrity/honesty of the Asian producer to use 300 when it's called for in the production process. 

Is it truly misleading to say stainless and use 200 series, no. Is it misleading to say stainless, use 200 series and play off the US perception (mindset) being 300 series, you be the judge.  

Best analogy I can give you is, what if gasoline was unregulated.  You pulled up to the pump at an small independent convenience store with 87, 89 and 93 octane and the sign above reads Asian gasoline. How do you feel about gas grades?  Shopping stainless online is like pulling up to the pumps.  

t      
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    tjv said:
    ColtsFan said:

Not a true testing method....even for 300 series stainless, as you can work harden some 300 series to be slightly magnetic.  Also 300 series is rust resistant, not rust proof.

Did the Amazon page say 300 series stainless. If it only said stainless, my hunch is it's 200 series stainless which is more common in Asia and cheaper to produce, as it has less nickel and chromium than 300 series. 

There is not a reliable way for the buying public to consistently identify 200 and 300 series. If there is no QC/inspection process done during production, the US importer and general public must rely on the integrity/honesty of the Asian producer to use 300 when it's called for in the production process. 

Is it truly misleading to say stainless and use 200 series, no. Is it misleading to say stainless, use 200 series and play off the US perception (mindset) being 300 series, you be the judge.  

Best analogy I can give you is, what if gasoline was unregulated.  You pulled up to the pump at an small independent convenience store with 87, 89 and 93 octane and the sign above reads Asian gasoline. How do you feel about gas grades?  Shopping stainless online is like pulling up to the pumps.  

t      
    I appreciate your expertise! Thanks for the input. BTW, I get my woo/AR combo for the XL and smokeware cap on Tuesday. You guys are the best!